What's new

We had to close the county beaches to metal detecting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
13,408
Reaction score
3,997
Golden Thread
0
Location
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Oakland County Parks in Michigan has no METAL DETECTING in the water anymore. This is because a few detectortists decided to hit the beach and detect in the water.. These beaches have fabric under the sand and the use of scoops can punch through the fabric. Our group, Search & Recovery Team, cleans the beaches and have found many holes. What's next, land hunting banned also?

After Labor Day many beaches are open to Metal detectors where they were banned during the summer. So after Labor Day these beaches are open. However some greedy individuals try to hunt these areas before Labor Day. What's next, the Metropark system in Michigan closed to metal detectors even after Labor Day?:BangHead:
 
Upvote 0
The guys detecting in the water probably did not know about lining under the sand.....honestly I would never have thought someone would line an entire beach. Are there many other beaches out there that have done the same?
 
Depending on the type of bottom in the Lake sometimes fabric is used to keep the weeds from growing or the sand from pushing up from the muck. Many of our state parks do not have fabric so you can dig to China if you want.. Just fill your holes so our guests don't complain to management.
 
The Oakland County Parks in Michigan has no METAL DETECTING in the water anymore. This is because a few detectortists decided to hit the beach and detect in the water.. These beaches have fabric under the sand and the use of scoops can punch through the fabric. Our group, Search & Recovery Team, cleans the beaches and have found many holes. What's next, land hunting banned also?

After Labor Day many beaches are open to Metal detectors where they were banned during the summer. So after Labor Day these beaches are open. However some greedy individuals try to hunt these areas before Labor Day. What's next, the Metropark system in Michigan closed to metal detectors even after Labor Day?:BangHead:
Are you saying that you could detect in the water before this ban but you couldn't use a scoop? Detecting is going to get banned everywhere eventually...there are not enough people doing it for them to care, easier for them to just put up a sign...Ill just go back to my old hobby, fishing. I still fish but not as much as I used to before I started detecting. Metal detecting is the only hobby where when someone does something wrong they ban everyone. When someone violates a fishing law they don't ban fishing, they deal with the violator...that's the way all hobbies are except detecting. Detecting doesn't generate enough money into the system so they don't care if its banned. Once a place is banned, you never get it back. This free country we live in is going backwards. As far as the hobby of detecting goes its getting worse every year, not better. If you like going green, hugging trees and kissing whales its getting better all the time.
 
I suspect that may be the reason a no digging ban has been put on here where I live. We dont have beaches, but the parks have some sort of vapor shield and I have noticed a lot of damage before the ban was put in place. So the guy with the Whites and the gold digging tool thank you very much. There is a lot of aluminum cans buried deep in the park and folks are trying to get at that signal thinking it is silver. Maybe the makers of detectors should limit the depth to 3" inches. But sad to say, the only place you can detect now is your own backyard it appears.
 
Are you saying that you could detect in the water before this ban but you couldn't use a scoop? Detecting is going to get banned everywhere eventually...there are not enough people doing it for them to care, easier for them to just put up a sign...Ill just go back to my old hobby, fishing. I still fish but not as much as I used to before I started detecting. Metal detecting is the only hobby where when someone does something wrong they ban everyone. When someone violates a fishing law they don't ban fishing, they deal with the violator...that's the way all hobbies are except detecting. Detecting doesn't generate enough money into the system so they don't care if its banned. Once a place is banned, you never get it back. This free country we live in is going backwards. As far as the hobby of detecting goes its getting worse every year, not better. If you like going green, hugging trees and kissing whales its getting better all the time.

Fishing does a hell of alot more harm then detecting. I pick up so much fishing line I could spool an entire drift boat. We do alot more besides searching for treasure.

sponge using smoke signals.
 
And I love fishing too.

sponge using smoke signals.
 
Fishing does a hell of alot more harm then detecting. I pick up so much fishing line I could spool an entire drift boat. We do alot more besides searching for treasure.

sponge using smoke signals.
Disregard what I said because you don't have a clue what Im talking about.
 
Last edited:
Hey LD I do get what you are saying. The fishing industry is a huge revenue source to where swinging a detector isnt. Didnt know I had to state the obvious.

sponge using smoke signals.
 
Hey LD I do get what you are saying. The fishing industry is a huge revenue source to where swinging a detector isnt. Didnt know I had to state the obvious.

sponge using smoke signals.
Disregard my last post because you do know what Im talking about:laughing7: ...I went back and read your post and I think I took it the wrong way...sorry, Im the one that didn't have a clue. :tongue3:
 
Lookindown:

If you look through earlier post from Sandman you my see an oddly designed flat bottom retangular scoop, with no sharp edges, which was specially designed to remove coins and treasure without damaging the fabric bottom on ponds/lakes that use them. He also explained how he and members used such a scoop.
 
Lookindown:

If you look through earlier post from Sandman you my see an oddly designed flat bottom retangular scoop, with no sharp edges, which was specially designed to remove coins and treasure without damaging the fabric bottom on ponds/lakes that use them. He also explained how he and members used such a scoop.

Thanks Sir Gala Clad. I am posting from my Kindle HDX so I cannot insert a picture of the special retrievers that are used when fabric is under the sand. They have half inch wire screen on the bottom and magnets to grab fish hooks. We find a lot of discarded chicken bones but none with meat on them. We do occasionally find jewelry which is catalogued and saved in case the owner comes forth to claim it.. After a period of time the Finder get to keep it. We are always looking for honest volunteers. I've had many guys in the group that didn't want to pick up any trash. That's why we're allowed in there, to find trash first. :icon_thumright:
 
Last edited:
Thanks Sir Gala Clad. I am posting from my Kindle HDX so I cannot insert a picture of the special retrievers that are used when fabric is under the sand. They have half inch wire screen on the bottom and magnets to grab fish hooks. We find a lot of discarded chicken bones but none with meat on them. We do occasionally find jewelry which is catalogued and saved in case the owner comes forth to claim it.. After a period of time the Finder get to keep it. We are always looking for honest volunteers. I've had many guys in the group that didn't want to pick up any trash. That's why we're allowed in there, to find trash first. :icon_thumright:
I got you now...thanks Sandman.
 
Well the last thing in the world I expected was for this topic to be about my county

:(
 
They probably just didn't know about the fabric that would have been the furthest thing from my mind
 
Last edited:
Was there an arrest or summons issued ? Was there a witness ? Similar situation by me not long ago in a park that actually allows dogs off the leash. We were thrown out for not filling our holes, but when we questioned how many summonses were issued or how many people with detectors were even stopped and why if they were caught their permit wasn't taken the answer was ZERO. No arrests, summonses , no witnesses, no permits even looked at. It was like talking to a wall.
 
Was there an arrest or summons issued ? Was there a witness ? Similar situation by me not long ago in a park that actually allows dogs off the leash. We were thrown out for not filling our holes, but when we questioned how many summonses were issued or how many people with detectors were even stopped and why if they were caught their permit wasn't taken the answer was ZERO. No arrests, summonses , no witnesses, no permits even looked at. It was like talking to a wall.
I was detecting at a place the other day that had holes everywhere that were dug by squirrels and another place where armadillos had dug holes everywhere...if someone had come up Im sure they would have thought I made the holes.
 
Are you saying that you could detect in the water before this ban but you couldn't use a scoop? Detecting is going to get banned everywhere eventually...there are not enough people doing it for them to care, easier for them to just put up a sign...Ill just go back to my old hobby, fishing. I still fish but not as much as I used to before I started detecting. Metal detecting is the only hobby where when someone does something wrong they ban everyone. When someone violates a fishing law they don't ban fishing, they deal with the violator...that's the way all hobbies are except detecting. Detecting doesn't generate enough money into the system so they don't care if its banned. Once a place is banned, you never get it back. This free country we live in is going backwards. As far as the hobby of detecting goes its getting worse every year, not better. If you like going green, hugging trees and kissing whales its getting better all the time.
If so there's going to be a lot of rebel hunters out on the beach at night. Think how much jewelry would pile up! I know I'd be out there all glued up and rolling in the sand, well hidden! Lol would have to steal your name sandman!
Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
Last edited:
It's sad to say sandman but there are all way,s going to be a few aaaaaaaaaaa holes every where you go, some day's i go to my fav beach and it looks a battle field, holes every where.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom