Western NC-- Looking for Advice!

cmilligan3

Dec 24, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy!

My folks recently bought property in Western NC (Bevard/Hendersonville area) and I was wondering how I can trek out into the mountains and find myself some gems/minerals. I've done a good bit of Google-ing, but it seems to me that the only options available are commercial mines, which I avoid like the plague.

Don't get me wrong, I know there have been plenty of impressive finds to come out of the mines, but my kind of hunting involves striking out on your own. I can't bear the thought that someone might have "enriched" my sluice bucket. I prefer the satisfaction of finding something myself, even if it isn't high quality. Thing is, I can't seem to find any info on how I could go about doing that. Everyone tells me that mines are the only way to find gems. But how can that be true? With all the complex geology in NC, I figure there MUST be a way to find natural exposures.

Does anyone have any tips on this? Or at least, any books that have been helpful? I am a young guy who is open to hunting pretty much anything, I just need a place to start. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
-Sam

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in Southwestern Virginia essentially just North of Winston-Salem. These mountains are full of surprises. Around my part of the state we find fairystones:

330px-Staurolite-26463.jpg

You just never know until you look.....

Upvote 0

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to Treasurenet and Western North Carolina, Hendersonville has a gem club so check it out for tips on your local area. I'm below you in McDowell county. In these mountains you never know what you may find so keep your head down and keep looking. Many of the streams have gemstones that have washed from hillsides so get you a classifier (screen) and pan and check them out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cmilligan3

Dec 24, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I did not know there was a club- sounds like a great place to start.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread