What am I doing wrong?

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m pretty inexperienced, only getting a couple hours a year to try.

I had a couple hours yesterday to check my property. I found a nail pretty quickly. But my next try I got skunked.

I’m using a Garrett AT with pinpointer. I tried different settings. I’d get a nice loud high pitched ping with an indication of 83-to 99 at a depth of 0-10 inches. I’d dig the area indicated, find nothing, even after sweeping the dirt I pulled up with the detector and hand held pinpointer and find nothing. I enlarged my hole width and depth and ended up with a hole at least 12 inches deep and a foot wide, still nothing.

I ran out of time and daylight, so I closed the hole and marked it to come back to. I even took some video to post once I have a chance to edit it to post.

I’ve had this happen before so I must not be doing something right. My next attempt I’ll go back to basics and use my old White detector.

Any advice would be appreciated. I’m a bit disappointed and frustrated.

Thanks.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it still beeps, large metal targets (caches included) can be much deeper. Or foil coated paper or wad of foil you can punch trough. In the desert I dug a cigaret pack flat level about 2 feet deep. Another thing is a barrel hoop.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try checking out youtube for your detector and see what they they use for settings and how they work . It is usually very informative

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m pretty inexperienced, only getting a couple hours a year to try.

I had a couple hours yesterday to check my property. I found a nail pretty quickly. But my next try I got skunked.

I’m using a Garrett AT with pinpointer. I tried different settings. I’d get a nice loud high pitched ping with an indication of 83-to 99 at a depth of 0-10 inches. I’d dig the area indicated, find nothing, even after sweeping the dirt I pulled up with the detector and hand held pinpointer and find nothing. I enlarged my hole width and depth and ended up with a hole at least 12 inches deep and a foot wide, still nothing.

I ran out of time and daylight, so I closed the hole and marked it to come back to. I even took some video to post once I have a chance to edit it to post.

I’ve had this happen before so I must not be doing something right. My next attempt I’ll go back to basics and use my old White detector.

Any advice would be appreciated. I’m a bit disappointed and frustrated.

Thanks.
I would bury some coins at various depths from 4 to 8 inches and mark the exact center of where the coin is buried with a golf tee or dowel rod at ground level. Practice sweeping the coil and pay close attention to where you get your most locked on signal(no jumping numbers or tones) When you get this part down, start using your pinpoint button. You will know exactly where the coin is and you can practice with pinpointing. When I started I doubt that I could get within 6 to 8 inches of where the target actually was. Good luck and in this hobby, practice makes perfect.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bury some coins at various depths from 4 to 8 inches and mark the exact center of where the coin is buried with a golf tee or dowel rod at ground level. Practice sweeping the coil and pay close attention to where you get your most locked on signal(no jumping numbers or tones) When you get this part down, start using your pinpoint button. You will know exactly where the coin is and you can practice with pinpointing. When I started I doubt that I could get within 6 to 8 inches of where the target actually was. Good luck and in this hobby, practice makes perfect.
When you bury coins LEAVE THEM THERE for future tests, Also put some nails and trash close to the good targets so you can see how it affects your detector, SWING BOTH WAYS before you move

OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you wearing steel toed shoes?
No, and I checked my boots to see how far away they had to be order to not have the eyelets get picked up.

Thank you for your input.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, and I checked my boots to see how far away they had to be order to not have the eyelets get picked up.

Wife mad at you? Did she slip a penny in the toe of your boot? Just sayin it's happened. Don't ask me how I know........

OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wife mad at you? Did she slip a penny in the toe of your boot? Just sayin it's happened. Don't ask me how I know........
Lol, nope. But I do test my detectors on my footwear before going out, to see how far my boots are detected, just so something like that doesn’t happen.

Thank you for your input

OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is good advice. I’ll try that. I thought I had that down, but it’s been so long I might just be rusty.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a bit fanatic about making sure nothing interferes or gives me false signal on detector. It may not give a solid hit but some boots and their eyelets or tacks can interfere. I have boots with absolutely no metal in them for detecting. I think better safe than sorry. But that is me. I want every edge I can get.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you have a coil cover IE(Skid Plate) on your coil if you do remove it and clean it out you would be surprised at what can accumulate under the coil and in the coil cover (Skid Plate), also if you have friends that likes to pull jokes on you I have known of friends pulling the skid plates on peoples coils putting a small bit of metal in the skid plate and then re installing the skid plate its all done in fun but it has happened it will cause all kinds of falsing when detecting

and no I have never played jokes on people LOL

Last edited:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you ave a coil cover IE(Skid Plate) on your coil if you do remove it and clean it out you would be surprised at what can accumulate under the coil and in the coil cover (Skid Plate), also if you have friends that likes to pull jokes on you I have known of friends pulling the skid plates on peoples coils putting a small bit of metal in the skid plate and then re installing the skid plate its all done in fun but it has happened it will cause all kinds of falsing when detecting

and no I have never played jokes on people LOL
Good point

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be you are detecting a large pipe underground I have picked up some old pipes about 3 feet down, a city guy told me what I was detecting because they ran under a playground I was detecting and he was by me when it happened. A large enough item will be picked up I have a Garrett AT gold so pretty similar to what you are using.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a bit fanatic about making sure nothing interferes or gives me false signal on detector. It may not give a solid hit but some boots and their eyelets or tacks can interfere. I have boots with absolutely no metal in them for detecting. I think better safe than sorry. But that is me. I want every edge I can get.
I am not saying your boots are your
Main problem now. Just something to think about and consider. Crash gave you some good advise, as did others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread