Bigcypresshunter
Sapphire Member
- Joined
- Dec 15, 2004
- Messages
- 27,124
- Reaction score
- 3,351
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- South Florida
- Detector(s) used
- 70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
- Primary Interest:
- Beach & Shallow Water Hunting





RRRiver Rat said:Don't laugh!!! After reviewing the replies, and studying the pic on the serving platter and searching the web for possible answers. Due to my own experience...it looks to be the gathering of mayhaws. Here's a website to read about the fruit... http://www.emerils.com/cooking/archives/000450.html
But, it fits the pic...with the flowers around the edge of the platter too. As far as crawfish harvesting, the trees throw the pic off balance...not swampy enough.
Just my guess
RR


I dont have the platter. I only have the pics that I took on Thanksgiving. I like the metal detector idea.Angelo said:Does the plate border resemble this pic of a Mayhaw branch and berries?
Tony

Angelo said:Does the plate border resemble this pic of a Mayhaw branch and berries?
dugfinds said:Practicing ice hockey
RRThats very interesting, River Rat. We have Pond Apples or Custard Apples grow wild in the swamp, drop off with a ker-thunk in the water and float. Only good when they fall off. Oldtimers used to make a Custard Pie. Now only animals eat them. Too many seeds. We dont have mayhaws. The men dont seem to have any bag or containers for collecting fruit, but it could be.River Rat said:Years ago, we would wander around in the bogs looking for mayhaw thickets. Depends on the weather, is how we harvested the fruit. I have 3 trees in my yard and an additional 8 in the "orchard", that were all transplanted from the swamps. At the present time all the trees are loaded with flowers, a hard freeze can damage the crop. I have a U-Pick operation here and believe me I have the customers. Plus, I make the jelly to sell too. But from what I gather from the web and seen in the stores some of the growers have gone commerical with the harvesting. If you never tasted mayhaw jelly, you don't know what good tasting jelly is all about.
Going back to the platter, it is possible that it may very well be what the picture is all about. From my readings on the web, jelly cakes and rolls were made from mayhaw jelly, so that may be what the platter is for.
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/mayhaw.htm
RR

Monty said:Cultivating rice. See the little sprouts sticking up. Chinese live on rice. Monty

but the only ones I knew about around here were in the east Texas swamps where they more or less grew wild. But I haven't actually seen them, just heard about them. The picture gives me the impression of a plantation or large farming operation rather than just a couple of farmers out doing whatever. Dang, now I have myself confused. And I was all the way up to .051% right in my guessing too.
MontyMonty said:Ok, Montana Jim, wanna rassle? They don't plant rice seed, the sprig it in any place that they find standing water. Now days they have irrigated fields that they actually flood every year. It's the dress of the men who are tilling or doing whatever they are doing that kinda' throws me. If it was a depiction of the USA in the early years, rice farming was done in the south, especially around the civil war years and the workmen would likely be slaves. They're not. I never knew they cultivated those mau mau berriesbut the only ones I knew about around here were in the east Texas swamps where they more or less grew wild. But I haven't actually seen them, just heard about them. The picture gives me the impression of a plantation or large farming operation rather than just a couple of farmers out doing whatever. Dang, now I have myself confused. And I was all the way up to .051% right in my guessing too.
Monty
I just don't see rice. However I do think your much better than .051%! 