Bigcypresshunter
Sapphire Member
- Joined
- Dec 15, 2004
- Messages
- 27,124
- Reaction score
- 3,351
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- South Florida
- Detector(s) used
- 70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
- Primary Interest:
- Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like this idea.silverswede said:Maybe it commemorates the beginning of the digging of the Panama Canal.

I agree with all this. Only the platter is from China, not necessarily the pic. The hats would make me think protection from the sun. Rice is not grown under and between trees. With no baskets, I dont think they are harvesting, but maybe cleaning old style irrigation ditches with eye hoes. I dont see an irrigation gate, but maybe...looks like dead stumps or old fence posts to me.TreasureTales said:The Chinese made lots of dinnerware for export...they would try to appeal to the markets and therefore create designs or pictures on the china that were familiar to the market (the buyers of their wares) rather than depict Chinese scenes. So this platter may very well be an export item depicting something common (at the time) in another country...usually Britain. If it is a newer Chinese platter, then it could be depicting an American scene. IOW, just because it's made in China doesn't necessarily mean it's a Chinese scene.
Trees in California are sometimes irrigated the way the trees in this scene are. The practice is not as common anymore because it often was a waste of freshwater. And rice is not grown under trees, it is grown in semi-flooded fields in full sun...not ditches under or between trees. Considering all these things, I agree that its a mayhaw orchard and the fruits are either being harvested or the irrigation ditches are being cleaned.
Learn something new everyday here...never heard of mayhaw jelly until this thread.

I would have to agree here that maypops or mayhaws, until recently, just grew wild in the swamp. Even though the plate may not be old, the picture probably is. I dont think someone would bother painting a couple of farmers either. I think its a plantation or large operation where the workers are even dressed alike. Maybe it is just an old wasteful style of irrigation. I was thinking something more exotic. Whatever, it is something to talk about.Monty said:Ok, Montana Jim, wanna rassle? They don't plant rice seed, the sprig it in any place that they find standing water. Now days they have irrigated fields that they actually flood every year. It's the dress of the men who are tilling or doing whatever they are doing that kinda' throws me. If it was a depiction of the USA in the early years, rice farming was done in the south, especially around the civil war years and the workmen would likely be slaves. They're not. I never knew they cultivated those mau mau berriesbut the only ones I knew about around here were in the east Texas swamps where they more or less grew wild. But I haven't actually seen them, just heard about them. The picture gives me the impression of a plantation or large farming operation rather than just a couple of farmers out doing whatever. Dang, now I have myself confused. And I was all the way up to .051% right in my guessing too.
Monty
what apple things?chong2mry said:hey those lil apple things are crab apples.

nhbenz said:Trees have no place in a cranberry bog. I've heard some good ideas, but cranberries aint it. Ocean Spray (whom I've worked for) owns or controls most of the US bogs, which they've given me tours of... trees don't fit in.
No signature that I could remember seeing. What confuses me is that the trees do not seem to me to be planted in clear rows, even though the drainage or irrigation ditches do appear to be layed out square.Angelo said:nhbenz said:Trees have no place in a cranberry bog. I've heard some good ideas, but cranberries aint it. Ocean Spray (whom I've worked for) owns or controls most of the US bogs, which they've given me tours of... trees don't fit in.
Exactly!
On the pic that I provided on my earlier post there are no trees in site except those in the background.
Question: Is there a signature on the illustration? I'm thinking that either a photo or an illustration was provided to the Chinese artisans in order for manufacturing. If so, perhaps we could track the name of the western artist.
Tony
they are just keeping the water flowing ?