goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holes could have been made by a preditor, which is likely becuase they are not hatched or cracked.

HH
-GC

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brazos River Wood, Texas, term for agatized wood that was probably reworked from the Chataholua Formation of Eocene age and is now found in gravel deposits in the Brazos River in southeastern Texas.......................Apparently there have also been findings during a Brazos River Clean-up on 4/3/2004. ... where they picked up numerous rocks with embedded fossilized shells......still researching

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baron Von De Kalb said:
um geodes
excellant as mentioned below "The holes could have been made by a preditor"

Attachments

• geodes.jpg
    geodes.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 852
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more likely a person drilling holes in them to see if they were hollow enough for cutting on a wet saw
geodes have no known predators ::)

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baron Von De Kalb said:
more likely a person drilling holes in them to see if they were hollow enough for cutting on a wet saw
geodes have no known predators ::)
:D :D ::) :P

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
geode theory has some interesting points on web site you sent Baron but I only seen one example of specimens being similiar . Could there be 24 or more with almost exact charateristics. and these are perfectly egg shape with no dimples or dip outs or rough edges. All I know about Geodes are if cut into most are hollow with very attractrive crystalized showing inside. These are solid all the way through and when cut into its more like limestone. Im posting some more pictures with one I cut in half with a hacksaw. I hope you can get some what of better view . I got to get me a good camera.

Attachments

• eggs6007.jpg
    eggs6007.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 804
  • eggs6006.jpg
    eggs6006.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 792
  • egg7.jpg
    egg7.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 805
  • egg10.jpg
    egg10.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 812
  • egg11.jpg
    egg11.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 840
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look exactly like some stones we found, that were used by some tribes of indians , thrown off a stick, with a piece of leather on it, that gets "whipped" forward.

a sling i beleive its called or a variation of it
maybe a stick to true up its straight forward trajectory

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
I certainly appreciate any and all opinions. I wish there was a way that ya'll could see these up close and handle them.

Attachments

• Photo1001.jpg
    Photo1001.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 697
  • Photo1002.jpg
    Photo1002.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 703
  • Photo1003.jpg
    Photo1003.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 686
Upvote 0

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell for sure by the picture of the holes but they appear to have a cone like appearance at the beginning. This would indicate manmade because of the common type of drilling technique used in the past (hollow reed, water, sand). Perhaps they were tested and found to be to hard.

The Baron suggested possibly sling projectiles. Although possible, I would think not. I use a sling often and my research has shown that sling projectiles are generally much larger. I've also experimented with different projectiles and have found that the larger projectiles have better range and are far more accurate.

Nice find. I'd be tempted to take a couple of them in to a local University or Museum and ask them. Again, nice find.
Deepsix

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
I took them to the Ft. worth Museum of science and history and they too thought they were interesting but hadn't seen anything like them and didnt know what they were. Do you have any suggestions what college or who would someone I could take them to in the Texas area. Thanks deepsix for your input.

Upvote 0

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
irbaddadjoe said:
I took them to the Ft. worth Museum of science and history and they too thought they were interesting but hadn't seen anything like them and didnt know what they were. Do you have any suggestions what college or who would someone I could take them to in the Texas area. Thanks deepsix for your input.

If it were me I'd take them to Texas A&M. They have an excellent Archaeology program.
Deepsix

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take ONE not all of them!!!! they might decide they need them more then you!

Upvote 0

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baron Von De Kalb said:
take ONE not all of them!!!! they might decide they need them more then you!

I agree with the Baron. Take one that is whole and one that you've split. See what they say.
Deepsix

Upvote 0

SallyT

Greenie
Sep 16, 2006
I was thinking they could go on the end of knitting needles... but the size of the "egg" seems heavy for the size of the hole. Knitting needles can be very, very skinny - like less than 1 mm ... and were used in the Victorian era for making knitted beaded bags - the needles were sooooo skinny they were called "knitting pins" in the instructions.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread