What do I do with rusty Snap-On wrenches?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
A few weeks ago, I bought a plastic tool box with tools. The tools sitting on top were cheap Chinese junk wrenches. It is obvious that water stood in the bottom of the box for a while, because the wrenches at the bottom of the box were covered in rust.

As I was going through the rusty wrenches on the bottom of the box, I found several Snap-On wrenches, and about 12 Craftsman brand wrenches.

Past experience tells me that rusty examples don't do well on eBay, but these might clean up better than they are now for the flea market.

I have a booth at an indoor flea market...how do I price the Snap On wrenches? Ideas?

sctoddc

Jan 4, 2010
Greenwood SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might try soaking in oil a few days, wipe them down real good then maybe hit them with a buffer wheel...might clean up. just a thought ???

Todd

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
Use Evaporust. It will clean them completely rust free inside of 2 hours, maybe less. Non-hazardous and rinse with water, good as new. About $8 at your local auto parts or hardware store. Save the used evaporust, it can be reused over and over.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You MIGHT be able to exchange the Craftsman tools at Sears for new. I don't know about Snap-On though.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for the replies!

I haven't heard of Evaporust, but I'll look into it. I haven't had a chance to try anything more than a shop rag on them. I might try some fine steel wool first, and then soaking in oil if that doesn't work.

I highly doubt that Snap-On would warranty the wrenches just because they are rusty. Broken? Yeah, maybe, but not because someone allowed the finish to get rusty. I've been told that Snap-On has really, really, really cracked down on their lifetime warranty. Supposedly, you have to be the original owner, and be able to document it.

Here is what's funny: The Craftsman wrenches cleaned up with a shop rag. I tend to think that it is because these wrenches have a chrome finish. I suspect the Snap-On had a black finish, and rusted fast.

I still would like to know value. Any ideas?

What would you mark them, both Craftsman and Snap-On, if you were selling them at a garage sale?

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
clovis97 said:
A few weeks ago, I bought a plastic tool box with tools. The tools sitting on top were cheap Chinese junk wrenches. It is obvious that water stood in the bottom of the box for a while, because the wrenches at the bottom of the box were covered in rust.

As I was going through the rusty wrenches on the bottom of the box, I found several Snap-On wrenches, and about 12 Craftsman brand wrenches.

Past experience tells me that rusty examples don't do well on eBay, but these might clean up better than they are now for the flea market.

I have a booth at an indoor flea market...how do I price the Snap On wrenches? Ideas?
Locate a shap on supplier they say they have a life time gurarntee see if they stand up to that they just might swap you for new.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive been trying to find a place to turn in some of my beat Snap-On tools for a while now. Other than the mobile trucks I don't know where to take them.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
After you get the Snap-On Wrenches cleaned-up, look into having them "Black-oxided" at a plating business in your area. They should be just like new after, providing there's no rust pitting. We send most all our non-stainless manufactured parts out for this type of plating.

Not sure on value, but would Feebay before Garage Sale.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've had good success selling Snap-On in decent condition, but haven't had a bit of luck selling rusty examples on ebay. I've tried and tried, without luck.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
jerseyben said:
Ive been trying to find a place to turn in some of my beat Snap-On tools for a while now. Other than the mobile trucks I don't know where to take them.
Call your snap on representative they will tell you where to meet them or where to mail your tools to get new ones. IF they don't agree to an exchange then you never buy their tools again and tell everyone you know that they are not worthy.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
cdltpx said:
jerseyben said:
Call your snap on representative they will tell you where to meet them or where to mail your tools to get new ones. IF they don't agree to an exchange then you never buy their tools again and tell everyone you know that they are not worthy.

Here's the thing though. I am just assuming that Snap-On has a lifetime warranty. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I merely want to trade in some screwdrivers that have the tips bent/cracked/chipped.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
jerseyben said:
cdltpx said:
jerseyben said:

Here's the thing though. I am just assuming that Snap-On has a lifetime warranty. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I merely want to trade in some screwdrivers that have the tips bent/cracked/chipped.

Yes, there is a lifetime warranty but does not cover abuse, rusted tools falls under "abuse". Not to worry though as most Snap-on clean up
easily and will maintain much of the original value.

Post a few pics with sizes, I need a few fill-in wrench's.

http://www1.snapon.com/industrial/utility/Warranty.nws

"In addition to any limitations outlined in warranty statements provided with the Product, Snap-on does NOT provide any warranty for (1) products labeled other than Snap-on or Blue-Point or (2) products subjected to "abnormal use". Products that are not labeled Snap-on or Blue-Point are subject to the warranty provided by the manufacturers of those products and Snap-on will pass along any such warranties. "Abnormal use" includes misuse, accident, modification, unreasonable use, abuse, neglect, lack of maintenance, use in product-related service, or use after the product is significantly worn. Abnormal use of tool storage units also includes, without limitation, situations when a unit is pulled using a mechanical vehicle, rolled over large drops, used in a highly corrosive environment, used as a step stool, modified with non-Snap-on parts, overloaded or modified in any way."

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my son buys from snap on.. they do have a lifetime warranty.. so your good to go, just get one rep or one with the truck..tell him ya got em so many years ago that ya dont have the receipt.. swaps em out for new ones to ya.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
my son buys from snap on.. they do have a lifetime warranty.. so your good to go, just get one rep or one with the truck..tell him ya got em so many years ago that ya dont have the receipt.. swaps em out for new ones to ya.
Works with sears too on things that are not even craftsman. Bought a new $100 softside suitcase with wheels 11 months ago. My wife just got back from a trip and the gorillas in Tokyo broke off a wheel. Must have taken a lot of muscle to do that, they are heavy duty. She took it to sears last week hoping to get credit to buy new or a repair. They went to the back and got a new one for her.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Craftsman has been great. I have taken broken tools that say Craftsman on them to Sears that are at least 50-60 years old and they have given me brand new replacements no questions asked!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yeah, I've been very happy with Craftsman and their liberal warranty.

I keep hearing horror stories about Snap-On's returns, though. If I understand correctly, if you can't verify the original purchase, or are a current customer of a Snap-On dealer, you are out in the cold on the warranty of any Snap-On tool.

I see both sides of this story. On one hand, what does it really cost Snap-On to make a new wrench? $3? Less than that? A no questions asked warranty is awesome customer service, and spreads tremendous good will among the buying public.

On the other hand, I can't blame Snap-On for not offering a warranty for rusty wrenches, especially since I've never bought a new Snap-On tool in my life.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I have done auto body and frame repair for 45 years. I have all kinds of brands of wrenches and other tools. A few years ago (on a weekend) The roof to the shop where I was working got stripped away by tornadic winds, everyones tool boxes and tools inside were ruined. My $6000.00 toolbox got damaged by falling debris, so everything got wet inside. I prefer Mac Tools, but also had some snap-off, craftsman, husky, etc,etc. Everything damaged was replaced under warranty by the respective companies. The tool boxes were Mac, no problems everything waranteed by their respective companies was replaced free of charges, some specialty wrenches had long wait to replace, but they were replaced. Through the years of 'tectin' I have dug many antique rusty large snap-off wrenches, I just wire wheel them, and lightly spray them black, The snap-off guy has been trying to finnagle them from me for years, even though I have been retired for 4 years now, he still calls every now and then.........NGE

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
notgittinenny said:
I have done auto body and frame repair for 45 years. I have all kinds of brands of wrenches and other tools. A few years ago (on a weekend) The roof to the shop where I was working got stripped away by tornadic winds, everyones tool boxes and tools inside were ruined. My $6000.00 toolbox got damaged by falling debris, so everything got wet inside. I prefer Mac Tools, but also had some snap-off, craftsman, husky, etc,etc. Everything damaged was replaced under warranty by the respective companies. The tool boxes were Mac, no problems everything waranteed by their respective companies was replaced free of charges, some specialty wrenches had long wait to replace, but they were replaced. Through the years of 'tectin' I have dug many antique rusty large snap-off wrenches, I just wire wheel them, and lightly spray them black, The snap-off guy has been trying to finnagle them from me for years, even though I have been retired for 4 years now, he still calls every now and then.........NGE

I prefer Mac as well, less hassle with warranty (our dealer "tested" tools in his vice to make sure they were covered :wink: ). It seemed that getting tools replaced/repaired from our Snap-on guy was like pulling teeth...no matter how many thousands were spent with him over the years. Perhaps that explains why his franchise route was split in two and the new guy getting customers from out of his territory. :coffee2:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The things about Sears, Snap On, or any tool company that covers warranties, the warranties ONLY COVER if they are broken, they don't cover the tool being bent, or rusted.

Some things mentioned in the previous post, to remove the rust, clean them up and if you are wanting to get them to look new, then make re-chroming is the answer.

Fact of how valuable a tool is depends on what it costs new. If a wrench or other tool made 75 years ago is just like the "NEW" tool, then the value is going to be less than the cost of a "NEW ONE" being the style has not changed.

However tools that are no longer made, raises some value because it is no longer manufactured. I always see near brand new tool sets that cost $500 plus, (new), and someone needs to sell them to make money, they generally sell the tools for less than $200-$400 depending how desperate the person is to sell them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread