What's new

What do you do with your finds?

jesse09

Banned
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
119
Reaction score
63
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So when you guys make finds ranging from minor to large dollar items what do you do with them?
Just wanted opinions on what you have done in the past, do you sell them on eBay as scrap, do you mail them to a refinery to sell the scrap to them or has anyone ever considered smelting them into a beautiful gold bar?

What do you do to maximize profits without taking shortcuts to let's say make afford a new deus lol ?

Lot's of questions, lot's of answers with a variety of everyone having done something a little different. Just curious to see what YOU have done =)

Happy huntings !
 
Upvote 0
give away modern silver finds to family and workmates, keep vintage or designer silver, hoard / keep gold - why sell it when it will be worth more next year (look at the yearly, 5 years, 10, 15 and 25 year graphs for gold - amazing - why did I buy my block of land when I could have tripled on gold?????), coins into 6 denomination buckets and I'm about 1/4 full on each ($2, $1, 50c, 20c, 10c,5c) -
also I would never melt any gold - nuggets are worth more as is / natural, and if you melt jewellery you have trouble selling to the average overpaying hallmark reliant punter who does not have the kit to agree it is of a purity - so will shy away - and if you really have to sell your gold work out the spot / market / melt and don't take a penny less - infact divide it up and you'll see 25% or better gain.
 
What my wife doesn't like goes in a bucket (In 1974 It was jars.) one for gold one for silver. Clad gets turned into green backs and goes in MD fund. If you have discipline this will grow so fast you can buy every detector that ever comes out. You can also fund your other hobbies .
BCNJ
 
Buried Crap NJ said:
What my wife doesn't like goes in a bucket (In 1974 It was jars.) one for gold one for silver. Clad gets turned into green backs and goes in MD fund. If you have discipline this will grow so fast you can buy every detector that ever comes out. You can also fund your other hobbies .
BCNJ

I like your way of thinking I really hope you are right on the fact that I will be able to pay off all my detectors, that is the same thing I told my wife. I just hope it won't take 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
For to get the bread. SO finish
 
Sorry about my grammar, i wrote this about 2 hours after i took my sleeping meds and was half hallucinating when i was writing this.

''let's say make afford a new deus lol''

LOL See what i'm talking about

I like the ideas so far, i thought about melting down the gold rings i find over the years but i agree with you smoogle people would be reluctant to buy it unless i sent to a well known refinery and had them stamp it. Just something about owning a gold bar is so fulfilling, i would look at it every day lol.

I am just going to horde everything i find like clive did, i really wish Clive had e-books so i could buy several of his!
 
I spend the clad as it comes in..gas & batteries...coffee!! I use to save up the silver and gold now sell it off pretty fast to buy my family stuff, take my wife out to eat...buy ammo for the range..fix my Chevy Blazer 4x4. I have given items to family also.
 
plan on being buried with them :tongue1:
 
LOL casper, thousands of years from now after our graves are long gone someone is going to go metal detecting and find your stash you were buried with and write on some futuristic treasure forum about this amazing find an make banner :P
 
Just realize you may never find enough to cover the cost of your detector, while it would only take one good find, many never find that one good find. If you just go into the hobby to enjoy the fresh air, getting outside and the thrill of the hunt then your ahead of the game....
 
Just realize you may never find enough to cover the cost of your detector, while it would only take one good find, many never find that one good find. If you just go into the hobby to enjoy the fresh air, getting outside and the thrill of the hunt then your ahead of the game....

That's what brings me out there-the thrill of finding something, the fresh morning air, the exercise! Though i would love to find the Big One, I enjoy combing thru shell piles, figuring out fossil pieces, detecting old land and former RR depots, even the smell of old sand/dirt (yes in Florida the sandy dirt smells different if its old and contains iron objects). Ive paid off the BH Pioneer with the clad I have found over the last few years but I am far from paying off the Tesoro with my finds!
 
Just realize you may never find enough to cover the cost of your detector, while it would only take one good find, many never find that one good find. If you just go into the hobby to enjoy the fresh air, getting outside and the thrill of the hunt then your ahead of the game....


Good attitude!!!! For me it really is about the hunt. Nothing beats a walk on the beach. Well usually, i'm human and have my frustrating days, just like others on the board here. That said, I'm realitively new to this , been hunting for about 1 1/2 years. I hunt very popular beaches and have managed over $400 just in clad over that time period. Actually, i've found more than that but because I admit i'm too lazy to clean the burnt and crusty stuff, so that's spendable money with just a rinse off. I'd say anyone who puts in the effort, even without hitting any home runs should score enough eventually to buy whatever machine they want.
 
Jesse09, the "junk" like matchbox cars, hair pins, costume jewelry, belt buckle- basically useless stuff - I just collect it in a plastic bin. Don't know why I keep it, I just do. Tokens like Chucky Cheese i give to kids I see or their parent; the wheat pennies, old coins and silver coins are separated from the clad and the clad just collects until I have enough to turn it into dollars. On jewelry, if its in good shape and nice enough, I keep it; if it seems to be special, I check Craigs List to see if anyone lost it; if its broken it goes into another piece of tupperware like bin till I have enough to sell it off. Small fossils go into a mason jar, larger fossils into another bin and large shells I display around my house.
 
Nice answers, I don't really have a plan what to do with my stuff, I have a couple little bins, one for good stuff(silver, gold), one for interesting finds(bullet, 60 yr old dog tag, junk jewelery) and some clad in another. Probably should gradually disperse some of the clad and put the equivalent funds aside so I don't have a giant load of crusty change when I decide I want to use the money.

I am mainly doing it for the fun, but of course would like to find some expensive items. Not sure what I would do, guess it depends on the item. Kind of funny I get excited after spending 2 hours digging trash and am rewarded with .23 cents, but at the local ice parlor don't think twice about sliding .65 cents in change in the tip jar.

HH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom