What's new

what do you think

ticm

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2007
Messages
3,243
Reaction score
792
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
A buddy of mine dug this up in the seventies sometime. It weighs 35 pounds or so. What do you think it was used for
 

Attachments

  • CIMG0220.webp
    CIMG0220.webp
    34 KB · Views: 385
It looks like a variation of a weight throw to me, used in Scottish Highland games.
 
Upvote 0
Re: any help

Yup its a weight for tossing over a bar, like in Scottish games. Imagine a pole vault bar, and a guy tossing a weight straight up, over the bar, and down again. Somehow they never get hit by their own weights? :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Re: any help

The Scottish weight used for their weight over bar throw seems to look different on most pictures I've looked at.

Thinking it may be a kettlebell, used for physical training. The kettlebell has been around for hundreds of years, and just recently has become sortof a fad in the fitness world.

Here's a site with some of the history. http://www.miamikettlebell.com/kettlebellhistory

Scottish throwing weight
Scottish weight.webp

1905 picture with some kettlebells
germanweightlifting_1905.webp
 
Upvote 0
It could also have been used as a portable horse tether, its been a while since i have seen one, used to find them in antique shops alot.
 
Upvote 0
I was thinking a prison ball???
 
Upvote 0
Where was it dug and how rusty was it? Is it painted?
 
Upvote 0
I was starting to doublt whether this was indeed possibly a kettlebell because I couldn't find that type of handle anywhere on the net.

However, in this old gym photo, circled in red is one with a similar handle. I believe again :)
 

Attachments

  • kettlebell.webp
    kettlebell.webp
    41.6 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0
GpSnoopy said:
I was starting to doublt whether this was indeed possibly a kettlebell because I couldn't find that type of handle anywhere on the net.

However, in this old gym photo, circled in red is one with a similar handle. I believe again :)
green check
 
Upvote 0
GpSnoopy said:
I was starting to doublt whether this was indeed possibly a kettlebell because I couldn't find that type of handle anywhere on the net.

However, in this old gym photo, circled in red is one with a similar handle. I believe again :)


Yep there it is thanks!!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is it?
Replies
24
Views
2K
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What The....
Replies
10
Views
814

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom