"What Is A Place?' Hunted-Out Description.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Seriously. Places are things like parks, small and large, plus historic ground is mostly pinpoint areas of actual ground. Those key historic ground has been worked by tectors for years, maybe decades.

So, if there is a park with history and tectors have hunted the heck out of it for a long time...and you/I have spent very many hours over years of times there to still try for a last good find, "It seems foolish to say no place is ever hunted out."

Let's say the park is 10 acres large but nothing interesting in anything else besides a quarter acre of known history ground has given good finds. Ok, tell me. Is that spot hunted out? Has dozens of other hunters who worked it before me and you, and not come back in a long, long time, basically said, "It is hunted out?"

What is a spot? Is it the whole park or is it the good area? Can "a spot" be 10 square feet, or is it an acre?

Just how big is "a spot", anywhere?

What is a place? How big is it?

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ?spot? and a ?place? are synonyms when we are describing Metal Detecting locations.

If you?re still confused, hear me out. if the location has an address like ?1213 15th St.? I would call it a ?spot? or a ?place? to metal detect.

If a portion of this location is exceptionally good, then I pull out my special phrase - - - ready for it?? ?Hot spot?

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Is Texas a place? Is Dallas a spot? Is any park with historic news a spot or place and never hunted out being somebody we know found one Barber coin? I'm being facetious.

Everyplace is either not hunted out, for current coins, or it doesn't count as a place, and to all standards...it is hunted out to true detecting. Hunted out is real. I can tell because I am the only veteran tector I've ever seen there in a very long time.

Is my yard hunted out? Is it a spot or place?

Spot or place, hunted out is real.

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt the Iron Patch because no one gets it all in the Iron Patch. I hunted an iron infested homesite every winter for almost 30 years and still was finding civil war relics and coins . once outside the iron patch it was shotgun head stamps and pull tabs...

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
You can never hunt a site out.

I don't care how many times you hunt it. There will always be something deep on edge mixed with iron etc.

I deem an area hunted out based on the number of good targets I can recover in an hr.

One old coin every hr or two in my book I call hunted out.

I like to recover an old coin every 10 or 15 mins.

I have a grove we hit atleast 100 times football field size. Gave up thousands of old coins.

Let it sit go back and you can still sqeeze a wheat or indian out.

Ground changes all the time with frost snow rain wind etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jer

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
You can never hunt a site out.

I don't care how many times you hunt it. There will always be something deep on edge mixed with iron etc.

I deem an area hunted out based on the number of good targets I can recover in an hr.

One old coin every hr or two in my book I call hunted out.

I like to recover an old coin every 10 or 15 mins.

I have a grove we hit atleast 100 times football field size. Gave up thousands of old coins.

Let it sit go back and you can still sqeeze a wheat or indian out.

Ground changes all the time with frost snow rain wind etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jer

Well, I have spots where veterans used to hunt and I ain't seen one of them there in 2 years. I know, because it's close to my house and I have put in more than a hundred hours over time there. I maybe found one merc and fresh drops, but otherwise, I believe if it wasn't hunted out, I'd had company there by now. Basically, places are hunted out.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful question, really difficult to answer...!
Productive place - always will, can be a farm, with forever pasture, home site, or a plowed field with hot spots.
So, yeah, history of the area of your site or PLACE (SITE sounds so....archaeological...!), can give clues to past activities, events, occupation, roads etc...........SO, you kinda know what to expect, and hunt accordingly....
Position of your place, in relation to other known stuff, can give reason to hunt the heck outta the place...!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
I love so called hunted out sites.

It becomes a challenge for me to pull something so I focus even more.

I have over 10,000 hrs in the field and over 27 yrs experience. I consider myself a master hunter.

Sites are never hunted out. Just hunted extremely hard. Having a bunch of different machines to swing will help also.

I pull silvers out of pounded sites all the time. But it comes down to experience. I just know what to listen for.

None of my hunting buddies come even close to what I pull out of these places when we go head to head.

Just takes tons of practice and patience. There will always be deeper targets the machines cant see either.

Don't get discouraged. If it's old and has produced in the past I'm swinging it.

Jer

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I?ll give Jer kudos, yes he is extremely good.

I think that old public parks, like the 150+ year old parks around my parts, will never be hunted out. You could literally spend 2 hours digging every mid tone up to screamer high tone in a 10 ft x10 ft area before the targets dried up. These parks just have layer over layer over layer of drops.

On the contrary, I think old cellar holes in the woods can definitely be hunted out. You can swing and dig around one that at one point produced colonial goodies and now not a single keeper is left. The less total time of occupancy the narrower the target layer, sort of.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A place is where you go, a spot is where you detect, a site is where the first two are, hunted out is the term you use when you don't find anything!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
We have parks here that I cleaned up on ten years ago. There’s one 120 y.o. 500-acre park that myself and two or three others can hit at the same time, swinging different machines, and not pull a single coin in half a day. These guys no longer hit any of the parks here, and there are a couple dozen. I don’t get out much anymore.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends on what you consider "hunted out". If you're hunting a three acre parcel of land and the only thing in the ground is a zinc penny, technically that site isn't hunted out until that penny is found. If on the other hand a half acre site that has only a few clad coins left may or may not be considered hunted out depending on who you ask. If you're digging a boat load of clad but haven't found a silver coin there in the last 15 years, is that site hunted out ? There is no right or wrong answer to the "hunted out" question, it depends on your own assessment of the site.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted out....generally a place that has no or little older relics or coins but can still have fresh drops.

Some things to consider.

Hunted out site with concentric coil will not be the same as a DD coil.
As stated earlier, rain , storms and seasons can expose or alter terrain. So can fires - allowing coil access over places where bushes once stood.
Sweep speed, change in settings, knowledge of the machine can open up sites.
Length of grass and soil moisture content can affect depth and target ID

chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread