What's new

What is the best detector for finding coins?

lms7652

Jr. Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Just wanting some opinions. I know there will be many. What TID detector and coil combo in your opinion is the best coinshooter?

Lets say the conditions are an older park fairly trashy, some potential for older deeper coins, moderate soil.

What's your vote and why?
 
I am partial to Whites detectors but there are a lot of other good coin detectors out there on the market it all depends on how much you want to spend. On coil size, for trashy areas I suggest a small coil size. Check out the various post here on T'Net to see what type of coils are being used. Then visit various detectors web sites to get an idea what type of machine fits your needs.

Good luck and hope this helps
 

Attachments

  • tn_27_jpg.webp
    tn_27_jpg.webp
    520 bytes · Views: 249
  • tn_27_jpg.webp
    tn_27_jpg.webp
    520 bytes · Views: 253
I already have a couple detectors but I just thought I would see what other people liked. Not trying to get anything stirred up just wanted to know what others prefered for coinhunting.
 
My preference is the X-70. But, there's lots of good choices.
 
It's a "Ford/Chevy" question. There's too many variables. There's no one "best", because even in the conditions you give, there is room for opinion on the degrees to which you're talking about:

Ie.: "fairly trashy" can mean one amount of "trash" to one person, and another amount of "trash" to another person.

"Deeper" to one person may mean 6 or 7". To another person it'd be over 8", etc..

And are you willing to get a little more depth on silver/copper, if it means the machine doesn't excell as well in low conductor targets?

In general, for park turf, at least in CA right now, it seems that Explorers are bringing in the deepies. But you're talking an expensive machine that ...... if you're a beginner ..... may just give you headaches and ear-aches that you'll hate.

So your question is really one where you may just have to try several different types, talk to proficient hunters in your area, and decide what works best for you.
 
All reputable manufacturers produce superb detectors that will do an excellent job locating coins when in the hands of a competent user. The "best" is one that you are comfortable with and have used enough to be able to interpret what it is telling you.
 
Since I've outhunted people with "better" detectors and been outhunted by people with "lesser" detectors so many times, I'd only advise that the DD coil configurations deliver the best target separation available today and the concentric coil configurations deliver the best depth and id capability.

So you might miss a shallow good coin with a round coil and you might miss a deep small coin with a DD coil depending on nearby trash and soil conditions.
 
Whites M6 with the 6x10 DD. If it's reeeeeeeeal trashy then go with the 4x6 DD.
 
I like the X-terra 70, when it comes up 38, you can bet it's a dime, 42, it's a quarter. Nice machine!
 
I agree with Tom. For my sites here in Sweden the Explorer also is what seems best. :coffee2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom