โœ… SOLVED What is the likelihood of tracking a relative down for these?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.03.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.03.53 PM.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 178

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe this hero:
Don..

Upvote 6
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe this hero:
Don..
=This doesn't indicate that he was in the Navy per say, although he was connected through employment. Could that be the reason there is no number on the tag?

Upvote 2

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
looked up dog tag, nothing about civilians. I know civilians can wear just
cant profit or misrepresent as having served

Upvote 3

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The bottom line appears to start with the letter "P". In the Royal Navy, service numbers were of eight digits but began and ended with a letter, depending initially on the depot where the sailor was recruited. The first letter 'P' designated Portsmouth.
Maybe.......
Don....

Upvote 2

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civilians had ID (dog) tags supplied if engaged in hazardous duty such as flying or similar type work. Submarines would also qualify. This might be a possibility or someone made them for a relative or friend. When I was in basic training in the Army we had a hand operated press that we made replacement ID tags on...I made a set for my dog!

Upvote 4

dozer dan

Jan 14, 2008
PNW
Primary Interest:
Other
looked up dog tag, nothing about civilians. I know civilians can wear just
cant profit or misrepresent as having served
in a perfect world. These days anyone can lie about serving to make a profit from it. i think the law is more lax on it because politicians lie about it also. check out all the โ€œstolen valorโ€œ videos on YouTube.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago the rules for dog tags were different than they are now. My mom, my brother and I had dependant dog tags issued by the military. This was incase we were killed in an aircraft crash they could ID our remains. Sometime after 1971 they quit issuing the dependant ones. My wife also a military brat never had them.

Certain civilian contractors and government employees (Non-military) had them issued/made too. As for them, I don't know when they quit issuing them.

Upvote 5

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I found the obituary for William Henry Eckhart wife,,and sons,and the daughters husband
each obit mentions survivors, did not look into those,maybe try a search of names to connect

wife,Theresajean Oakes Eckhart

son,Thomas W. Eckhart

son,Robert C. Eckhart

daughter,Olive Eckhart Richards
have not located an obituary for her,she is listed at find a grave

daughters husband,Peter Button Richards

Upvote 2

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU CaN Easier trace events and children through family search.org, the Mormon site(free).
I found the obituary for William Henry Eckhart wife,,and sons,and the daughters husband
each obit mentions survivors, did not look into those,maybe try a search of names to connect

son,Thomas W. Eckhart

son,Robert C. Eckhart

Upvote 1
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
If I can track down a family member for these, do you think I should return them "as is" or should I give them a good cleaning first?

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2021
Years ago the rules for dog tags were different than they are now. My mom, my brother and I had dependant dog tags issued by the military. This was incase we were killed in an aircraft crash they could ID our remains.

Since 1918, Military dogtags had the SM #, then the SS#, then a SM #....depending on the years issued...mine originally had SS#, but then they figured that was personal info, and went back to a SM #

This appears to be a dependent tag...or civilian contractor tag...for a civilian contractor, they would have had to been on a deployable status at sea to be able to obtain these.

the "tooth dent" is a give away to a timeframe as well...didnt that particular notch end in late 1964? 1965 tags and on do not have this.

BTW...it was not to put the ID in the jaw, it was to align the tag and hold it in the printer for Medical reports! The notch held the tag in the Addressoform tool, and it was impressed on a medical form! This exact imprint assured no mistakes...

in 1965, they changed the machine held the form and the tag...like a credit card machine to imprint...

The reason for the tags for dependents an certain civilians assured you had the right to medical treatment at a DOD facility.

Pre-1965 Adressoform tool

addressograph_20.png

Funny story...My first set listed me as Buddhist...my last set listed me as Jedi....this list of "Officially Approved" religions was always changing....

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Wildbill31

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2021
Farris, OK
Detector(s) used
RicoMax (New)2021

Bounty Hunter (My first Detector) 1995-2001
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

son,Thomas W. Eckhart

son,Robert C. Eckhart

If you have an account for find a grave. You can post a picture of the Dog Tags there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe I have reached a dead end in tracking a family member dow. Here is the note I received from the funeral home.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 1.44.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 1.44.18 PM.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread