• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
Thumb Scraper?

a crude expedient scraper
you should look some more in that area.....you might score a better piece
welcome to the tnet friend

End scraper, thumb scraper, you have found one of the most common type of artifact out there. You are in the right spot for sure.

Thanks everyone :)
When I find these, the first thing I try to rule out is if it is a natural flake off a larger stone. I am not a flint knapper and do not know all the "rules" of stone breaks however just by looking at this piece, is there a way to determine without a shadow of a doubt that it is not a natural break and not debitage or a tool?

It is a bulb of percussion removal which is then turned into a scraper. If flint was scarce they would try and use every bit of the mother stone before throwing away the rest of it. I have many like it. Check this out. I keep them myself. Nice study piece.

Attachments

• 100_2976.JPG
    100_2976.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 98
Thanks everyone :)
When I find these, the first thing I try to rule out is if it is a natural flake off a larger stone. I am not a flint knapper and do not know all the "rules" of stone breaks however just by looking at this piece, is there a way to determine without a shadow of a doubt that it is not a natural break and not debitage or a tool?

A natural break will not have small flaking on the stones edge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back