What's new

What is this? Found in Illinois

Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
338
Reaction score
175
Golden Thread
0
Found in Illinois. The bottom is relatively flat. Has a little working on the edges-hard to see in the pic.
is this anything? If so, can it be dated?
thanks
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    435 KB · Views: 125
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    553.6 KB · Views: 138
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    470.2 KB · Views: 139
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    470.4 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0
Thumb Scraper?
 
a crude expedient scraper
you should look some more in that area.....you might score a better piece
welcome to the tnet friend
 
End scraper, thumb scraper, you have found one of the most common type of artifact out there. You are in the right spot for sure.
 
Thanks everyone :)
When I find these, the first thing I try to rule out is if it is a natural flake off a larger stone. I am not a flint knapper and do not know all the "rules" of stone breaks however just by looking at this piece, is there a way to determine without a shadow of a doubt that it is not a natural break and not debitage or a tool?
 
It is a bulb of percussion removal which is then turned into a scraper. If flint was scarce they would try and use every bit of the mother stone before throwing away the rest of it. I have many like it. Check this out. I keep them myself. Nice study piece.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2976.webp
    100_2976.webp
    112 KB · Views: 127
Thanks everyone :)
When I find these, the first thing I try to rule out is if it is a natural flake off a larger stone. I am not a flint knapper and do not know all the "rules" of stone breaks however just by looking at this piece, is there a way to determine without a shadow of a doubt that it is not a natural break and not debitage or a tool?

A natural break will not have small flaking on the stones edge.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom