• 2011_1018filenew0002.JPG
    2011_1018filenew0002.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 953

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite 5", 8" & 10" coils. EXP II 8" & 10" coils with inline Sunray pin pointer. AT Pro 8" & 10" Coils, Equinox 600 10" and 5" coils.
Petrified cow poop :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Tim

Upvote 0

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does it rattle inside- are you in a geode area??

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Limonite concretion with some pretty nice prairie polish. Can you get prairie polish in Vermont? Sometimes these will have fossils inside, usually a lump of clay. If not, giraffe poop.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
oldtimer82

oldtimer82

May 29, 2005
irasburg, vermont
Detector(s) used
whites silver eagle
well folks i don't know what you guys have been sniffing,but get some fresh air,
1 no never a circus stayed there
2 yes the area does have lots of sand
3 no it doesn't rattle,or is hollow
petrified poop,maybe
it has some weight to it but not much compared to iron ore type rocks
next/lol
h.h.
oldtimer

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I don't know what your geology is. If it is in an area of sedimentary rocks, then I stick with limonite (a form of iron ore, but not the richest). If not, I don't know. It would be fun if you put it on it's side and tried to split it with a chisel and hammer. If it looks like it would split along that axis. Limonite is not necessarily heavy, but it is "heavier". Does that make sense? Maybe I do need some air.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
oldtimer82

oldtimer82

May 29, 2005
irasburg, vermont
Detector(s) used
whites silver eagle
first so you guys know,i was just being a funny guy,as splitting the rock i rather not
as for the geography of this area it is mainly granite,some iron ore and very hilly.
the field is quite sandy,but last year a guy baught the land and cut the pines that were growing there.now it the field of corn.
where im living is just a few hundred yards from that field,its all up hill to get to them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
oldtimer82

oldtimer82

May 29, 2005
irasburg, vermont
Detector(s) used
whites silver eagle
ok guys your right its a piece of lemonite,thanks for the help
you guys are the best detectives
h.h.
oldtimer
ps. heres a pic of lemonite.

Attachments

• lemonite.jpg
    lemonite.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 475
Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Whew! I was sweating that one. When ever it is a brown rock, I say limonite, and get away with it about 30% of the time. Ok, I'm joking. But I think I read once where limonite is the most abundant form of iron ore. The prairrie where I go arrowhead hunting is covered with it, and sometimes it is like in a mound. A lot is a flat rock, but there are a lot of balls--about .36 caliber. About the size of rabbit turds. Some of them are rabbit turds. Then there are pieces like the subject and pieces like the photo. I have a piece I kept that is like a tangerine in size, and is somewhat shaped like an acorn, cap and all. In Fossil Creek, south of Ft. Collins Co., one used to be able to find concretions, occasionally with a clam inside. No luck here, but I once sent a piece to a friend that for all the world looked to be a chunk of Borman shell. Not significantly heavy like iron, though. Color and texture were pretty much a dead ringer, and definately "round" shaped.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread