What ive learned on my first two hunts

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
Am a brand speaking new beach hunter I recently purchased a Whites Beach Hunter 300 and took it out for two runs on Rockaway Beach. Here is what I learned

1. I am really out of shape. Holy cow after one hour I couldn't take it any more. I need to hit the Gym

2. Wet sand is heavy Me no likey

3. When you dig a hole in wet sand, the ground water instantly ills it back up, making it almost impossible to find my target

4. Actually going in the ocean is a skill I really don't posses

5. I spend way too much time grounding

6. There is a lot of crap on the beaches We are pigs as a race of people. Give a hoot

7. After digging for ten minutes for a target, that useless chunk of iron looks might good all of a sudden

8. Disc mode is much better, but my add makes me go back to all metal mode.

9. I'm addicted.

Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome, banjonyc!

You're a quick learner:hello2:

Best of luck out there:headbang:

Lorraine

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another victim of the fever!:angry4: it calms down a bit but the flares up every so often, like daytime!

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most of us have learned the same things during our first few hunts. But hang in there, in no time at all you'll have arms like Popeye, eyes like an eagle, ears of deer, the balance of a tightrope walker, and gold in the scoop! :icon_thumright: Welcome to the addiction.

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALL OF THE ABOVE COMMENTS! I started out with a BH300 and spent a lot of time in the dry sand with it at first. Then worked my way to the wet and eventually got a long handled scoop. It's a great machine. I stuck with the prescribed settings and didn't spend a whole lot of time GBing, but I'm in an area with pretty clean beaches. Good luck out there, look forward to seeing your finds.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Hello, my name is Anita and I am a MD addict..." (yup, I am one, as well!) No 12 step program as yet....:laughing9:

A heavy duty, long handles scoop is a necessity for the heavy wet sand. Makes scooping easier (if you consider moving 50 lbs of wet sand easy) and will get you in shape without going to the gym! Good luck on the beaches...there are good things to be found...as well as the junk. Think of it this way, you are "cleaning" the beach, one bottle cap at a time.

Welcome to the hobby!

HH,
Anita

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Aboard,,I love it:icon_thumleft:wishing you many Treasures,,HH:hello:

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
"Hello, my name is Anita and I am a MD addict..." (yup, I am one, as well!) No 12 step program as yet....:laughing9:

A heavy duty, long handles scoop is a necessity for the heavy wet sand. Makes scooping easier (if you consider moving 50 lbs of wet sand easy) and will get you in shape without going to the gym! Good luck on the beaches...there are good things to be found...as well as the junk. Think of it this way, you are "cleaning" the beach, one bottle cap at a time.

Welcome to the hobby!

HH,
Anita

My thoughts exactly - if the hole is closing up you need a good wide scoop, scoop three consecutive times in rapid time, check the sand you've ejected it will almost certainly be there if your accurate with the pinpoint (I use this technique in water on deep targets - I don't even bother to swing / check until I've excavated a crater) - also clear the trash as you'll be back and the goods are usually under or within this place. I just finished my Rookie year and I'd say just keep at it - ca-ching $$$ / big gold is waiting for you if you listen to the heavies and practice.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And People think water huntting is easy ha ha.Just remember ,walking in the water is 16 times harder than walking on land !!

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
Smoogle said:
My thoughts exactly - if the hole is closing up you need a good wide scoop, scoop three consecutive times in rapid time, check the sand you've ejected it will almost certainly be there if your accurate with the pinpoint (I use this technique in water on deep targets - I don't even bother to swing / check until I've excavated a crater) - also clear the trash as you'll be back and the goods are usually under or within this place. I just finished my Rookie year and I'd say just keep at it - ca-ching $$$ / big gold is waiting for you if you listen to the heavies and practice.

I don't think multiple scoops is an option in the ocean I mean I am off shore a good 10 feet or so. The water immediately fills in around the hole and brings sand with it

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Its work like you said. If my PI dual gives me a very faint signal in the waterI know im looking at way over a foot down so I do like Smoogle said and take 3 or 4 scoops out before checking.

HUNTER12

May 24, 2011
I myself am detecting south myrtel beach with a new sand shark i'm learning to use. Loads of bobby pins, some clad, and yes" were slobs with the trash.
I to felt the pain, when i got back from yesterday's hunt my arms cramped up real bad. I'm heading out now, it's addicting!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my first experiences with hunting long hours on the beach was lower back and leg pains, wasn't use to it at all. My lower back got so sore it hurt to look down. Now I can walk all day on the beach with no problems but those first two weeks or so were killers.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I got a Lighter more discriminating machine. You guys may want a hip mount option. What ever you use, I know your pain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions