what the heck kind of bug is this!!!!??????????????

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
this is way crazy, the other night i was thinking of all the wierd stuff i have seen when smaller. and i thought of this bug i saw in ruidoso nm in a basement when i was about 10 years old. and today i was walking in my kitchen i see the exact same species walking on the floor, creeping the doody outta me. it looks like a millipede/centipede/caterpillar/spiderish. what is it??? and are they bad, should i dispose of it properly;)???

Attachments

• CIMG4330.JPG
    CIMG4330.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,171
  • CIMG4331.JPG
    CIMG4331.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 4,475
  • CIMG4332.JPG
    CIMG4332.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,152
  • CIMG4333.JPG
    CIMG4333.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,155
  • CIMG4341.JPG
    CIMG4341.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,078
  • CIMG4344.JPG
    CIMG4344.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,221
  • CIMG4345.JPG
    CIMG4345.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,429

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got no idea what it is but in the last pic...it look like he is mighty PO'd..lol

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
House Centipede

House Centipedes
Centipedes are common arthropods with long, flattened, segmented bodies with one pair of legs per segment. The house centipede is up to 1 1/2 inches long and has 15 pairs of very long, slender legs. Each leg is encircled by dark and white bands. The body is brown to grayish-yellow and has three dark stripes on top.
Though house centipedes are found both indoors and outdoors it is the occasional one on the bathroom or bedroom wall, or the one accidentally trapped in the bathtub, sink, or lavatory that causes the most concern. However, these locations are not where they normally originate. Centipedes prefer to live in damp portions of basements, closets, bathrooms, unexcavated areas under the house and beneath the bark of firewood stored indoors. They do not come up through the drain pipes.

House centipedes feed on small insects, insect larvae, and on spiders. Thus they are beneficial, though most homeowners take a different point-of-view and consider them a nuisance. Technically, the house centipede could bite, but it is considered harmless to people.

House centipede control consists of drying up and cleaning, as much as possible, the areas that serve as habitat and food source for centipedes. Residual insecticides can be applied to usual hiding places such as crawl spaces, dark corners in basements, baseboard cracks and crevices, openings in concrete slabs, and so forth. Residual insecticides available to homeowners are the "ant and roach killers" and the "home pest control sprays." Centipedes discovered outdoors should not be controlled.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1991/6-19-1991/cent.html

Upvote 0

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio
Yep, a centipede..we called them thousand-leggers back in Pa. (an exaggeration but they LOOK like they have a lot more legs when they are running!)
Never had a problem with them but they just look creepy...too many legs.

DD

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
cool, well i thought it was some sort of centipede, and that explains whu i found one in a basement. well, he is outside now, unharmed, thanks jim for that response

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
He may be beneficial but he is double butt ugly and I am certain I would not like him as a house guest! ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
true, p.s. dunno why he is in my house, cause my house isnt dirty

Upvote 0

DC

Jun 1, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, Whites XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Golden Sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I saw one like that one on the SciFi channel today right after he ate 3 people!

Upvote 0

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
That thing might be common where you live, but I've been stomping the woods and waters of Florida all my life and I ain't never seen one of those!
Thanks for the bug lesson.
I darn sure learned a new one today.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DR said:
That thing might be common where you live, but I've been stomping the woods and waters of Florida all my life and I ain't never seen one of those!
Thanks for the bug lesson.
I darn sure learned a new one today.
That's cause it's a house centipede! ;D For the record,I ain't never saw one either!

swizzle said:
I've always been told that those are silver fish and they hang out in the same spots that cockroaches do. Swizzle
Close but not quite-

Attachments

• enb01496.jpg
    enb01496.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 612
Upvote 0

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
chong2mry said:
true, p.s. dunno why he is in my house, cause my house isnt dirty

Just cause your house isn't dirty, don't mean you won't get them critters in your home....just like roaches, people think only those who keep dirty houses get them...not true~!

We get in our house all the time, these huge gigantic roaches (some call them Palmeto Bugs, others call them Florida Coach Roaches and the Bug People call them American Coach Roaches. They also fly and make these annoying noises!!...we live in Va Beach.)

We live on a creek and they love dark moist places. We have also been remodeling, so they seem to enjoy that too! EWWWWWWWWWW....dislike them things so much! They will also come into your home, especially when alot of construction is being done, and both my neighbors on either side of us have had major construction done to their homes in the last two years...now it's our turn to return the favor LOL. They are primarily outdoor wood area critters, but like I said, if alot of construction is going on, you may see some wonder in on your space!

We get lots of silverfish, and these big fugly spider/cricket looking things (I think a cricket bred with a spider! LOL)

I usually find the silverfish in my old books (which I have since sealed in containers to protect the books, as they will destroy the books over time).

But I haven't run across an ugly silverfish like the one your got....that one would creep me out LOL

Also, do you find those pincher bugs too? If I find a silverfish ... I usually can expect those thin, black pincher bugs...ewwwwwwwww....I dislike bugs!!!!

However, I let the crickets stay in the house....Chinese Proverb about crickets in a home brings good luck ;)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions