What's new

what the "X X X" mean on the maps

JAVIER

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2004
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
what the "X X X" mean on the maps

can someone tell about the XXXXXX on the maps, some have them others not ex:

some maps have xxx on florida coast an dsome dont why is that..

do they mean shipwrecks or just reef area????
 
Re: what the "X X X" mean on the maps

I wish they meant treasure! :D

I'm not sure -- I thought reefs too, but I've not been able to ask any knowledgable cartopgraphers...

Let me know if you find out!
 
Re: what the "X X X" mean on the maps

Javier,
Are these the little X's you are talking about?? They typically represent breakers or reefs.? They are fairly common on 18th century maps.? These are pictures of the famous chart from 1774 used to help establish the 1715 fleet wreck location as near Sebastian Inlet.

As for the X's, it could very well depend on the cartographer, but typically, I have not seen X's used to mark shipwrecks.? Almost always an Anchor or Sinking Ship.? But it is possible!? As for this specific chart, it certainly denotes a reef/breakers.?

What chart of Florida are you looking at?

Let me know if this has helped!

Robert in SC
 

Attachments

  • ar16220a.webp
    ar16220a.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 409
  • ar16220a_2.webp
    ar16220a_2.webp
    50.1 KB · Views: 370
  • ar16220a_1715-Fleet.webp
    ar16220a_1715-Fleet.webp
    48 KB · Views: 374
Re: what the "X X X" mean on the maps

Javier,
Here is another chart of the Carribean and FL Keys from the 1700's that has the same X's marking reefs. You can also see the use of the anchors to denote the shipwrecks.

Robert in SC
 

Attachments

  • Carribean 1700s.webp
    Carribean 1700s.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 379
Re: what the "X X X" mean on the maps

thank you guys for your answers,the map am looking is fro 1774 or 1777 of "jefferiesthomas"

also in this mapthere is an X inside a circle close to the beach does this mean what?

javier thankyou all againand does any of youhave maps of HONDURAS CENTRAL AMERICA?
 
Re: what the "X X X" mean on the maps

I'm confused:

RGecy said:
...You can also see the use of the anchors to denote the shipwrecks...

Cornelius said:
...The anchors mean ,,good anchoring spots...

Do the anchors mean shipwrecks, or good anchoring spots????

Unless I miissed something...

Thanks!

Garrett
 
Re: what the "X X X" mean on the maps

thank you to all of you guys for your answers, now I am not in the dark , is good to know
that you guys will help anybody in this forum...

thank you again

javier
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom