What Was The Axe Murder Statue Hiding???

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
WARNING: Scary Picture (unrelated to Holloween)
>
>
>
I've posted a few pics here that I took at our "Centennial Park" ... which was built on the site of the "historic" Rose Inn.
>
>
>
In the park, there is a statue that is supposed to be a "logger" for "The Crossett Company" which helped build this town.

The logger is carrying a double headed axe like they would have used at the end of the 19th century for cutting trees.

He's smoking what looks much like a corncob pipe (quite popular here at that time according to my late father-in-law).

He's got an old floppy hat like folks wore back then ... and the creepiest grin on his face.
>
>
>
>
It's so scary that the "Arkansas Kids" website's picture of the statue starts 1/2 way down his shoulder and it goes to his knees ... the face isn't visible. You can see it by clicking HERE

Choose the picture on the right and you'll see what I'm talking about. My wife calls it "The Axe Murderer"!
>
>
>
Well, getting up close, I found that the freaky face of the axe wielding logger isn't the only thing that's scary about him.

It's what he's hiding.

Tucked away in his right armpit (on the left if'n you're facing him), is something really scary . . . and really deadly! Not a gag, really deadly!

Look Closely ....

After you see it, to get an idea of how big she is, remember that this is a life size statue.
>
>
>
And children sometimes play around this statue.

Ready ? ? ?
>
>
>

axmurderers_armpit.jpg

Hope you terminated her!

I have an aversion to messing with these particular spiders. Wolf Spiders, Brown Recluse, etc. not much of a problem. For instance, did you know that some Wolf Spiders get big enough that you can hear them hit the floor when they fall from the ceiling? You need to come see my old computer shop sometime!

The Black Widow, however, freaks me out.

I left, contacted city government, they just shrugged. By the time I got back, another citizen had relieved the axe murder of his "backup weapon".

It's to light colored and not an hour glass,I kept black widows in gallon jugs when I live down in the Great Smoky Mountains(best place I ever lived),had a copper head in a 10 gallon aquarium too.:tongue3:

Still..a nice shot.:icon_thumleft:

GOD Bless

Chris

The hourglass is different but I assure you, while it is a variation, it's definitely a Black Widow. Same venom.

Had a buddy here who was bitten by one of these ... nearly killed him. I helped him later with his 69 Camaro tribute to his near death experience.

He painted the outside the same color as the hourglass, but he had me upholster the interior to be an inside out black widow. Diamond tufted black velvet seats, black carpet, headliner, kickpads and door panels ... and a red and black paint job on the console to show the hourglass. After he got married again though, she had all the paint changed to a Mopar "Plum Crazy" Purple with white rally stripes.

The hourglass is different but I assure you, while it is a variation, it's definitely a Black Widow. Same venom.

Had a buddy here who was bitten by one of these ... nearly killed him. I helped him later with his 69 Camaro tribute to his near death experience.

He painted the outside the same color as the hourglass, but he had me upholster the interior to be an inside out black widow. Diamond tufted black velvet seats, black carpet, headliner, kickpads and door panels ... and a red and black paint job on the console to show the hourglass. After he got married again though, she had all the paint changed to a Mopar "Plum Crazy" Purple with white rally stripes.

I never knew there were so many widows!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus

It may be "unrelated to Halloween" but it's definitely good timing. This is my second time reading this thread (I was at work 1st time). Still gives me chills up and down my spine! And I'm a glutton for punishment, I followed Wolrdtalker's link. Heebie jeebies!

It may be "unrelated to Halloween" but it's definitely good timing. This is my second time reading this thread (I was at work 1st time). Still gives me chills up and down my spine! And I'm a glutton for punishment, I followed Wolrdtalker's link. Heebie jeebies!

Here is what I used to keep. Nothing to fear,respect yes,fear...NO.

animal-you-black-widow-spider.jpg

I have an aversion to messing with these particular spiders. Wolf Spiders, Brown Recluse, etc. not much of a problem. For instance, did you know that some Wolf Spiders get big enough that you can hear them hit the floor when they fall from the ceiling? You need to come see my old computer shop sometime!

The Black Widow, however, freaks me out.
I left, contacted city government, they just shrugged. By the time I got back, another citizen had relieved the axe murder of his "backup weapon".

I can agree on the wolf spiders....I'm in the garage soldering at night, I set the soldering iron down on the floor, go to reach for it later? And a wolf spider will be there next to it! Especially now that it's colder. You can hear those things run across things, cardboard is the loudest!!!

I'm different. I can deal with wolf spiders, widows or down here they are called widers :laughing7:, But I don't want to mess with a brown recluse. We get some big black widows here too. They are all black with the hour glass on their underside.

Last edited:
I don't have much concern for most spiders, but the brown recluse, or fiddleback, is one that gets my attention. Having grown up around them (and scorpions) I still have the habit of shaking out my boots when I get up in camp, and we don't have either here. If you live in an area that has fiddlebacks, and you camp through the summer but store your stuff in the off season, be sure you shake out all your camping gear when your camping season starts up. Fiddlebacks love to winter in stored sleeping bags.

About the variety of shades on black devils--I mean widows:
Over the years I have found and confirmed at least 10 variations.
Always the hourglass though. Some have a red or white stripe along the top of their back, sometimes the red will tend toward orange. Still, they are what they are.
Most of the time, MOST, a black devil bite is not deadly but will make you real sick.
I have met people who were bit years before and have problems related later.

Those others, the brown devils--recluses, are indeed deadly. If a person is bit by one don't wait, seek medical attention immediately.
I am very big on herbal medicine but not with those things. I know two people who died from brown devil bites.
Take them seriously.

Hope you don't mind me attaching my own version of their names.

If you garden like I do and keep hand gloves around be sure and step on them before you put them on. The Brown Recluse spider likes to hide inside gloves. Stepping on your work gloves will crush the spider. This practice may prevent a spider bite. I learned this many years ago in one of my Entomology classes.

If you garden like I do and keep hand gloves around be sure and step on them before you put them on. The Brown Recluse spider likes to hide inside gloves. Stepping on your work gloves will crush the spider. This practice may prevent a spider bite. I learned this many years ago in one of my Entomology classes.

The Black Widow also likes gloves, shoes, boots, as well as gardens in general and damp dark places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back