What's new

what would you call these? Burins?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found both of these At the same site About two months apart. They look to me like they might have been hafted horizontally into a handle. Does anyone else find these? Maybe they're just choppers?

ForumRunner_20121029_115737.webp



ForumRunner_20121029_115852.webp
 
Upvote 0
64 yrs. Of age 728 posts and not one photo of a single artifact... I think you may be the geofact.
 
I can see the secondary flaking...how does it feel in your hand? Awkward?
 
Yes.. it doesn't feel at all like it would be handheld. here's a couple angles. I don't know if it will show up in the photos but there is definite impact damage on the secondary flaked ends.

ForumRunner_20121029_175248.webp



ForumRunner_20121029_175605.webp



ForumRunner_20121029_180023.webp



ForumRunner_20121029_180222.webp the first photo is the backside ..the second photo is the bottom.
 
Last edited:
Gee thanks..
 
More than likely choppers. They broke alot of bone into pieces for rendering at this site. More likely a chop-o-matic than a leaverite.. great post there Nat. Almost as original As sex stones.
 
Spalls or Cores I would think. Or could be failed attempts to complete them. Still nice study pieces though.
 
I find tools like that all the time on woodland site near the beach. Limited materials in parts of FL, they used every little bit of it. Score bone, scrape whatever!
The big one was used more that one edge is completely worked. It could just be one good edge of a broken scraper...... but even the little projections have a few flakes taken off, hard for nature to do that. I'd prefer to hold it in my hand with my readers on boom.
 
Thanks all of you. I wanted a few thoughts and got them. Alot of folks..unless they come from an area where the only good lithic stone had to be brought in expect everything to be textbook more or less..I get that. That's just not the case here. And Tom... I wish we could "swap recipes" so to speak.. it's very refreshing to talk to someone with some good old Florida experience. Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Lets see the display in the back ground
 
These?

ForumRunner_20121029_222852.webp



ForumRunner_20121029_223022.webp



ForumRunner_20121029_223130.webp



ForumRunner_20121029_223249.webp



ForumRunner_20121029_223421.webp
 
This is the stuff that made it out of my artifact room..LOL.

ForumRunner_20121029_224443.webp
 
Ha..thanks the old lady would disagree LOL.
 
Hey you could be into much worse things lol
 
Glad to see you still have them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom