What you think of this sluice

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this while watching videos on youtube. I think it would make a good clean up sluice at home. My plan is to collect some buckets from some local streams this winter. Plan to classifie the buckets down to prob a 1/4 inch

I got a 4 foot light layin in my garage i could use. God knows iv ran enough pvc remodling houses. I just dont get whats keeping the matting in or supprting it at the bottom

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice setup, great for cons. I have used that thin sheet metal before, it gets flimsy over time, I would reinforce the back of the sluice with a more durable material. The thin sheel metal sluice I had only lasted for a month before I went back to the drawing board. Good luck git n the gold! :hello:

OP
OP
B

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wonderin the same that stuff is thin really thin

OP
OP
B

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv been thinkin bout this while watching some more youtube panning and clean up vids. I think a 1/6 or 2/6 screwed to the bottom natched out to sit on the pvc would strengthen the sheet metal and reduce the risk of it falling off i have a issue with it sitting on the single pvc pipe should it get bumped and it fall off. Im really thinkin bout it never would take it to the streams but think it would make a good sluice for working buckets at the house till it warms up. I just got to talk my dad into letting me cut up his light lol

OP
OP
B

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an improvement on it. If it wss taking to the water. On the front legs at the lower third add a screw connection and have a few diff lengths if the ground is uneven unscrew the legs screw on longer or shorter legs. Quick easy fix to get the angle u need

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got an improvement on it. If it wss taking to the water. On the front legs at the lower third add a screw connection and have a few diff lengths if the ground is uneven unscrew the legs screw on longer or shorter legs. Quick easy fix to get the angle u need
great idea. Also for the reinforcement on the underside, use epoxy instead of screws...better rigidity and no holes in the sluice. That's what I did on my sheet metal prototyping sluice back in the day and it did the job.

OP
OP
B

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was a good idea. Glad u agree kevin. I think the epoxy is a good idea my other though is epoxy the sluice to a 1/6 then have like hose clamps connected to the one by un screw them wrap around the pvc should hold it together but leave it so u could break it down. Thinkin bout bigging it for a clean up and fine gold recoverying. Plus while learning how to pan i can pan it down then run through the sluice to see if i miss anything. Figure like me n you talked about bout a high banker and running at home. It would give me a cheap sluice at home for when i want to do fine recovery but not have a large investment. Plus when i get done sluicing at the streams i can bring some home to pay with or when the weather isnt good for working outdoors on the streams

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought it was a good idea. Glad u agree kevin. I think the epoxy is a good idea my other though is epoxy the sluice to a 1/6 then have like hose clamps connected to the one by un screw them wrap around the pvc should hold it together but leave it so u could break it down. Thinkin bout bigging it for a clean up and fine gold recoverying. Plus while learning how to pan i can pan it down then run through the sluice to see if i miss anything. Figure like me n you talked about bout a high banker and running at home. It would give me a cheap sluice at home for when i want to do fine recovery but not have a large investment. Plus when i get done sluicing at the streams i can bring some home to pay with or when the weather isnt good for working outdoors on the streams

Sounds like fun for ya :)

OP
OP
B

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya gonna be fun talkin my dad into letting me have the light thats less then six months old lmao.

OP
OP
B

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So asked my dad. I was delaying it lol. He was more open to it then i thought said he did not care but i can chop his light up when im mining lol. He made a good point their like 25 bucks with out light bulbs. So i think imma build one

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmm, you could get the equivalent metal at the hardware store for a lot less the 25$... And then just bend it yourself on the edge of a coffee table (lol) like I did back when I made a sluice from sheet metal.

OP
OP
B

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt think about that. I just had an idea. When we had our construction business we bought a 3500 sqft two story for a dollar lol. When we was doing the roof we had rolls of alum flashing. I wonder if i could use it. Its not to hard to bend

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I didnt think about that. I just had an idea. When we had our construction business we bought a 3500 sqft two story for a dollar lol. When we was doing the roof we had rolls of alum flashing. I wonder if i could use it. Its not to hard to bend
yes u can, the only challenge will be whether it's rigid enough...and you can correct for that just as you can with thin steel. The ideal case would be to bend then heat treat but lacking that, it's about structural reinforcement as we talked earlier.

OP
OP
B

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya i figured it wouldnt be to ridged but a small alum frame would fix that. Prob be really light to. Idk if it be wide enough i think its 10 or 12 inchs so if ur sides were 3 inchs it be a 6 inch sluice. But still wider then the light

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A finishing sluice does not need to be that wide from what I've seen. Narrower will need less water/pump capacity.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would use a tee at each end of the frame where the legs attach and either use a set screw to adjust the legs or else drill holes into the legs and the tee and use something like a hitch pin or push pin for adjustment, that way you only need the one set of legs. You would need to drill out the stops in the tee so that the legs could slide through it though.

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread