turtlefoot13
Hero Member
- Joined
- Aug 23, 2009
- Messages
- 733
- Reaction score
- 105
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- The Ozarks, Missouri
- Detector(s) used
- Teknetics Alpha 2000
- Primary Interest:
- Relic Hunting
Shattered was the first word that came to mind when I started pulling this out of the ground tonight. I don't know what it was but whatever it was, it looks like it literally shattered into pieces or was possibly blown up. All of these pieces of iron were found in an area approximately one foot by two feet. The area was raised and covered with thick moss instead of scraggly grass with rock showing through. If you look at the second pic, you can see the metal is split and not bent or rusted through. Looking closely at some of the pieces, it looks like there are grooves going the length of the metal. The photos are poor and I will try to get better images tomorrow if I can, along with closeups of the grooved areas.
These were found in the same area as my other two posts tonight. The land had a logging camp near with several narrow guage railroad trams going close by in the 1880's-1890's. Since then, it has mainly been a cattle ranch with woodlands, open pasture and hay fields.
I know that idendifying a bunch of small pieces of iron might not be possible but I am hoping that someone might be able to tell me what would cause a piece of iron to shatter like this. If it makes any difference, these pieces of iron feel harder and denser than other iron items that I have dug in this area.
Thanks for the help.
Doug
These were found in the same area as my other two posts tonight. The land had a logging camp near with several narrow guage railroad trams going close by in the 1880's-1890's. Since then, it has mainly been a cattle ranch with woodlands, open pasture and hay fields.
I know that idendifying a bunch of small pieces of iron might not be possible but I am hoping that someone might be able to tell me what would cause a piece of iron to shatter like this. If it makes any difference, these pieces of iron feel harder and denser than other iron items that I have dug in this area.
Thanks for the help.
Doug
. Also, when taking up or laying down track, if a shorter piece was needed, they would build a really hot fire and lay the rail across it. When the rail would get red hot, they would use a homemade chisel (rail spike) and make a groove all the way around the rail cap, then put it back into the fire to get red hot again, then they would pull it out again and toss bucket of cold water on it, and it would crack where it was grooved. A lot easier to do than ya think.........NGE






