Whats It Going To Take To Have A Garage Sale Find Make The Banner?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Im on the otherside of the fence with this.

But I have no disrepsect towards the GS peeps...I mean hell, I go to garage sales, thrift shops about every other day. And i KNOW this is good stuff to be found.

I guess Im just stuck in the mindset of this being more a Metal Detecting/Relic Hunting site...which it probably was at the start, and has grown during the years.

So I apologize for being a D**K

The statement was made " You do find Treasures at GS" Which I totally agree on...I just do better digging them up. :)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I just dont understand this "buying your place on the banner" mentality.

It is still treasure hunting.

They have an entire show dedicated to this topic called Antiques Roadshow. That show is basically one huge "banner".

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As example if someone buys an ugly landscape at a garage sale and finds a copy of the Declaration of Independence hidden behind it I would considered voting for it for banner as it wasn't what was bought but was discovered hidden, but buying a specific item that is under valued at a thrift store or garage sale I would never vote for banner...

Ah! Here it is in a nutshell. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy your place on the banner?

Come on man... You know as well as I do that banner posts get there because the find and story were truly "amazing" and people have to vote on them. How many finds have you seen posted that should have been banner? How many have you seen that shouldn't? It goes both ways.

You know as well as I do that a few times a year, someone in the GS forum posts something that is a mind blowing score. Something that stands out from all the other posts.

Do you really think such a find doesnt deserve banner?

We can debate the banner in it's current form, but that's not what this is about.

I've seen misc. stuff go on the banner so if it was something that mind-blowing they probably would consider putting it up. So is this about one or two things a year, or bought finds making the banner in general?

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I am in complete agreement. If I bought an old painting at a yardsale and it turned out to be a lost Picasso, would that be a banner? No. We have to draw the line somewhere.

It is this level of disrespect that has me trolling that other dude about waving sticks around.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dont understand this "buying your place on the banner" mentality.

It is still treasure hunting.

They have an entire show dedicated to this topic called Antiques Roadshow. That show is basically one huge "banner".

ok so you'd be fine if I had 40 banner finds and not three, because of the amount of buying I've done over the years? That's what I mean by buying your way to the banner. So any coin dealer, or pawn shop dude could have items go up there from his weekly buying?

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
We can debate the banner in it's current form, but that's not what this is about.

I've seen misc. stuff go on the banner so if it was something that mind-blowing they probably would consider putting it up. So is this about one or two things a year, or bought finds making the banner in general?

I am more in line with allowing banner for items that are truly deserving. I actually went back through a few years worth of posts and only saw 1 maybe 2 posts that I would even consider worthy of banner.

It is WAY more than just getting a good deal. It is uncovering something that was has significant value, both monetary and historical, that was previously forgotten.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is this level of disrespect that has me trolling that other dude about waving sticks around.

There is no disrespect in Higgy's post..... If someone bought a Rembrandt for $20 they thought was a copy at a garage sale and it turned out to be real I still don't think it qualifies as banner, it was bought....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am more in line with allowing banner for items that are truly deserving. I actually went back through a few years worth of posts and only saw 1 maybe 2 posts that I would even consider worthy of banner.

It is WAY more than just getting a good deal. It is uncovering something that was has significant value, both monetary and historical, that was previously forgotten.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with some type of insane huge dollar score, or something that is extremely significant going up, and if the original post was framed in that way, I'd have no problem with it. But so far it seems like it's a debate whether all bought finds should have equal opportunity.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is uncovering something that was has significant value, both monetary and historical, that was previously forgotten.

Its still buying something...If i knew someone that was selling a gold coin at face value, it would still be buying something..If you ever look the the CRH forums, I think maybe 1 time has someone on their made banner, and it was because it was voted by enough people and the Mods felt it was banner worthy.

I know the more arguing that is done on this subject, Isnt going to sway any of the Mods to be on your side. They have the ultimate control over what is up there and what isn't.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rik Harrison nearly got a few Banner items......... :thumbsup:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think anyone would have a problem with some type of insane huge dollar score, or something that is extremely significant going up, and if the original post was framed in that way, I'd have no problem with it. But so far it seems like it's a debate whether all bought finds should have equal opportunity.

The poster who insists items that are bought can never be banner finds has a history of being "black or white" with no gray...

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting topic. Let me throw out a scenario based on one of my recent purchases. I'd be interested to see what the "no-purchase-is-banner-worthy" camp would think about this. Here is the situation: A few months ago I was digging around in this guy's garage and found a box full of old 78rpm records. I looked at a few random titles and they appeared to be old jazz and blues records. I didn't recognize any of the titles or artists but I knew that this genre is highly collectible and, in some cases, has significant historic value. So I took a chance, based on my knowledge gained over many years, that this would be a good buy. I paid the guy, if I remember correctly, $15 for the box full of records. I turned out there were a couple of fairly valuable records in there but nothing that would knock your socks off. BUT... suppose one of the records in that box was a previously unknown recording by blues artist Robert Johnson. That would be an item of unquestionable historic significance and almost priceless value. However, the item was purchased although the presence of this extraordinary item was unknown at the time of purchase.

This scenario brings together the elements of knowledge (and maybe a little skill), historical significance, rarity, monetary value, and good fortune. But is this find tainted by the fact that money changed hands in the process and, therefore, is rendered unworthy of banner status?

I have had a few similar situations over the years. One that comes immediately to mind is a box of old magazines, newspapers, and miscellaneous documents I bought at an estate sale. The most valuable item in there was a newspaper I was not aware of at the time of purchase. It sold for about $70. But suppose I found a letter signed by Abe Lincoln or George Washington that I didn't know was in the box? Banner or not?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The poster who insists items that are bought can never be banner finds has a history of being "black or white" with no gray...

No, bought finds should not make the banner, but if you buy something for $5 and sell it for 50k, then maybe we'll break the rules! ...and it won't just be because of the money, but that there would obviously be one hell of a story to go with it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting topic. Let me throw out a scenario based on one of my recent purchases. I'd be interested to see what the "no-purchase-is-banner-worthy" camp would think about this. Here is the situation: A few months ago I was digging around in this guy's garage and found a box full of old 78rpm records. I looked at a few random titles and they appeared to be old jazz and blues records. I didn't recognize any of the titles or artists but I knew that this genre is highly collectible and, in some cases, has significant historic value. So I took a chance, based on my knowledge gained over many years, that this would be a good buy. I paid the guy, if I remember correctly, $15 for the box full of records. I turned out there were a couple of fairly valuable records in there but nothing that would knock your socks off. BUT... suppose one of the records in that box was a previously unknown recording by blues artist Robert Johnson. That would be an item of unquestionable historic significance and almost priceless value. However, the item was purchased although the presence of this extraordinary item was unknown at the time of purchase.

This scenario brings together the elements of knowledge (and maybe a little skill), historical significance, rarity, monetary value, and good fortune. But is this find tainted by the fact that money changed hands in the process and, therefore, is rendered unworthy of banner status?

I have had a few similar situations over the years. One that comes immediately to mind is a box of old magazines, newspapers, and miscellaneous documents I bought at an estate sale. The most valuable item in there was a newspaper I was not aware of at the time of purchase. It sold for about $70. But suppose I found a letter signed by Abe Lincoln or George Washington that I didn't know was in the box? Banner or not?

I personally don't think a bought hidden find deserves the banner unless it's way over the top awesome. Just off the top of my head I can think of 3 hidden $1,000+ finds I've had and never for a second would I think they are deserving as much as a detecting find. They were nothing more than something lucky in my regular work week. Now had they been 100k, well that's a little more interesting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If someone buys an Indian artifact from someone for $100 only to find out it is extremely rare and worth tens of thousands of dollars does that mean it would qualify as banner? For me it would be a nice score but no for banner, it was bought...

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it not luck that an MDer turns up a very rare buckle, button, or coin. I acknowledge that effort and knowledge are needed to locate places likely to be productive for MDing but the fact that a super rare, banner worthy item turns up is shear luck. I mean, the MDer might be in a good spot he has located through his historical research and wielded his detector with skill but the presence of that super rare item is pure chance. Just like the presence of a super rare historical recording or document in the scenarios I describe is pure chance.

Perhaps what is needed is some sort of special designation for extraordinary garage sale purchases.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it not luck that an MDer turns up a very rare buckle, button, or coin. I acknowledge that effort and knowledge are needed to locate places likely to be productive for MDing but the fact that a super rare, banner worthy item turns up is shear luck. I mean, the MDer might be in a good spot he has located through his historical research and wielded his detector with skill but the presence of that super rare item is pure chance. Just like the presence of a super rare historical recording or document in the scenarios I describe is pure chance.

Perhaps what is needed is some sort of special designation for extraordinary garage sale purchases.
Someone could start a "Garage Sale/ Thrift Store" finds of the month thread under Garage Sale Forum and members vote on what finds go there...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread