• image-3717507349.jpg
    image-3717507349.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 115
  • image-1084860244.jpg
    image-1084860244.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
Nice Ax. How much did you pay for it?

The one's I see sell at auction never bring what I think they should, for as hard as they are to find.

Replicas of hard stone axes aren't as common as replicas of Clovis points, but there is no shortage of them. From what I see in the pictures, the material, the work, the strange pitting where the dirt settled, all make me think it's a decent reproduction.

It could be authentic, but if I saw it for sale on eBay or an online catalog of an auction, I'd pass by without a second look.

if i didn't find it myself i would give it a pass too....for me it is just too smooth, symmetrical, polished and perfect. if it is legit, and it may be, it is superior.

Like i said from the start im not for shure if its real or fake. Im gonna find someone to check it that is certified to give me a yes or no but its a dang good piece real or not.

Like i said from the start im not for shure if its real or fake. Im gonna find someone to check it that is certified to give me a yes or no but its a dang good piece real or not.

I hope it does turn out for the better. Its a fine looking one and however it was made it was done really nice.

Dirt is not a true patina on an object.

[h=2]Definition of PATINA[/h]1
a : a usually green film formed naturally on copper and bronze by long exposure or artificially (as by acids) and often valued aesthetically for its color
b : a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use

: an appearance or aura that is derived from association, habit, or established character

: a superficial covering or exterior

So what type of stone do you believe the Ax to be made of? Looks almost like Soapstone to me. I have a piece of it I can show.

Attachments

• 100_3400.JPG
    100_3400.JPG
    486.9 KB · Views: 66
soapstone is pretty soft for a whacker....looks kinda granity to me

That is so symmetrical, it looks like it was machined. If it turns out to be real, it would definitely be a museum piece.

No kidding dirt isnt patina? I never knew

hey hey rock.......nope ...dirt is not patina.......two diff thingys rock friend

you can wash dirt away w/water...you cannot wash patina away w/water.....

I was joking, not serious at all. I know you can damage the patina with harsh cleaners though

...so when the 5 year old comes in from playing in the woods, I can't wash his patina off?

Sorry guys, but that piece is absolutely NOT authentic. I've handled and studied thousands of axes and I'm quite sure that piece is not ancient.

Hippy

I brought the axe to a real good friend of mine who has been hunting artifacts for over 40 years and asked him after he looked it over for what felt like an hour with a magnifying glass he told me that he was about 95% shure it was the real deal. So my hopes got a little higher. He gave me a number to a guy thats pretty local that could tell me for shure and certify it. Again thanks for all the input.

Sorry guys, but that piece is absolutely NOT authentic. I've handled and studied thousands of axes and I'm quite sure that piece is not ancient.

Hippy

if you have a few, why don't you post them...try to use the same angles and lighting as the ones in the post...same hand holds etc. show us the difference.

if you have a few, why don't you post them...try to use the same angles and lighting as the ones in the post...same hand holds etc. show us the difference.

Here's a couple of examples of highly polished, authentic axes.

Hippy

boy that one screams even louder to me now...yours show a lot of use wear and individuality...the posted one is quite perfect.

I brought the axe to a real good friend of mine who has been hunting artifacts for over 40 years and asked him after he looked it over for what felt like an hour with a magnifying glass he told me that he was about 95% shure it was the real deal. So my hopes got a little higher. He gave me a number to a guy thats pretty local that could tell me for shure and certify it. Again thanks for all the input.

Just as an FYI, having 40 or 140 years of hunting artifacts is not a good indicator that someone can identify a real from a fake. It only insures that person has a good group of authentic artifacts to use as a control group to learn from.

If you're going to send it off send it to either Maury Meadows or Roy Motley. I know both of them and are confident you would get the correct answer, not necessarily the one you want to hear.

However, I hope you don't spend your money doing this. That axe is not close to correct. The porous material it's made from is commonly used in fake axes because it's easy to shape with a grinder. The material is often cinder block or some other sort of easy-to-grind man made material.

Hippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back