Whats the fastest car you ever drove?

jonesy

Sep 26, 2004
central Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fastest i ve gone was my bosses 72 pantera sent the stock 351 cleveland to fat performance in thousand oaks calif.put out over 500 ponys 150mph with alot left to go took a Texas state trooper s caprice out 132 mph got real squrrily shut it down real quick but real fun didnt have to worry about being pulled over!!! lol

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My Porsche 928, named Carli. I race my hubby in his BMW 740 up I-5 between Salem and Portland.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a Montego Blue Mazda Miata that I took over 130 a few times. It was a long, straight road in north Florida called Race Track Road, because there was a dog track at one end. Coming from the east at night I would hit this one stretch that was about seven miles as straight as an arrow and no side roads. As I hit the stretch I would turn off all my lights, drop to third, then forth and fifth. Petal to the metal it would go faster, but I always ran out of road. I remember passing a caddy one night doing about 120 with all my lights off. I always wondered what they thought had passed them in the night. It was zoom zoom, just like the commercial said. I loved that little car! They later developed the area and built a lot of houses. I'd like to say it was the stupidity of youth...but I was over fifty at the time! Waaaahooooooooooooo!!!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a Porsche master mechanic for forty years, drove every model they made until I retired last year. Drove many trade-ins, too, such as Ferraris, Vipers, etc. The fastest was the Carrera GT, a $450,000 carbon fiber bodied six hundred ten horsepower monster. I do miss driving all the exotic cars, but I don't miss the time clock and all the inner shop favoritism and politics. I really don't have the need for speed I had when younger, and for sure my reflexes aren't up to what they used to be, but it sure was fun!!! No pension either, after all those years!!

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I had a 1966 Ford Fairlane GT, 390/335 HP, four speed with 3:90 posiTraction rearend. It would hit 140 easily. I was afraid to go over that because of the danger of losing control or not being able to stop in time if I came up on slower traffic. A friend of mine hit a horse doing about 90 MPH. They only found part of him and part of of the horse. Some wreckage was thrown over 500 yards. I don't have the need for speed anymore. Good Luck. rockhound

Semag93

Feb 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lamborghini Countach 5000S

It was brand new, only weeks old // A cousin of a friend was in town for the Autorama tour back in the early 80's then had to go out of town on business but had nowhere to store it while he was away. So I let him use my parents garage! every kid in the neighborhood knew about it as he drove it down the street they all followed on their bikes. My parents never slept while he was away thinking about insurance!!

Anyway a week later he returned and didn't know how to get back to main highway so he let me drive him across town to the highway while my buddy in a Chevette tried to keep up. Wow and wow! That was a fun drive, and scary!!

P

Lamborghini_countach_5000s_rear.jpg

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was a Porsche master mechanic for forty years, drove every model they made until I retired last year. Drove many trade-ins, too, such as Ferraris, Vipers, etc. The fastest was the Carrera GT, a $450,000 carbon fiber bodied six hundred ten horsepower monster. I do miss driving all the exotic cars, but I don't miss the time clock and all the inner shop favoritism and politics. I really don't have the need for speed I had when younger, and for sure my reflexes aren't up to what they used to be, but it sure was fun!!! No pension either, after all those years!!
Hey, nice to meet you! When I bought my car, I bought a set of workshop manuals, printed a PET, and found frustrated hobbiests willing to sell me two near complete cars in boxes. We do our own work and after I finish my custom headliner mod (added recessed LEDs and a BMW downlight/cabin light/map light cluster - laying down fabric this week!) we're doing an engine R&R because one of the parts cars has the faster Euro engine.

Mind if I contact you from time to time about it?

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a 1967 Dodge Coronet R/T. It would bury the needle on the 150mph speedometer. Buried the needle several times. That was back when I was young and stupid.

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had a 1967 Dodge Coronet R/T. It would bury the needle on the 150mph speedometer. Buried the needle several times. That was back when I was young and stupid.

Nice! Mopars are the majority of horses on our car ranch.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 1970 Dodge Challenger. It had a 383 magnum that i did some work to, polished alumimum intake, headers with thrush hush pipes flex tubing going out behind front seats. Custom racing clutch and spring, ladder bars . Had to out loops on driveshaft and chain the engine to the block to prevent damaging the hood when engine mounts let loose.
The speedo went up to 155 and had it wrapped around to zero. The only thing that was power on the car was the convertible top. Brakes steering and all were manual.

4son8ur

Mar 18, 2013
Midwest City, OK.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just sold my 95 RX7....fastest I ever went was 120mph on I5 traveling between Everett, Wa. and Seattle.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many speedos give the wrong numbers? My 70 Roadrunner, with 383, would seem to float at the hundred mark, so thats as fast as I wanted to go, which is quite enough.

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder how many speedos give the wrong numbers? My 70 Roadrunner, with 383, would seem to float at the hundred mark, so thats as fast as I wanted to go, which is quite enough.

You're brave in my book. I never had enough confidence in Mopar steering and suspension to get to the float stage. I need to feel the road.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my 1966 vette with a 327 mouse 4 speed but it NO CONTEST to my 2010 BMW S-1000 rr motorcycle > 192 mph out of the box 100 mph in 1st gear 150 mph in the 1/4 and pulls the ft whell up at 143 mph in 4th gear at 11 1/2 RPMs with out trying > 193 hp at 404 lb. dry wt./ unless you have 1000 hp no contest .

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
H2 have you seen the video on Youtube, the black devil of Moscow? Incredible, and through traffic. If not, go look for it.

Barry8100

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My fastest was Ferrari 458(in red color)Italian. Now I am looking forward to drive Lamborghini. Great car, love it. Sure will must be drive it in future as soon as possible...:thumb_down:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My crazy brother's '67 GTX 426 Hemi, 2x4's, 4 spd. He picked it up while it was just about headed to the scrap yard and put $130k in it with every performance part available as stock from Chrysler, to keep it as orignal as the VIN allowed. Had to use racing fuel, and it was pretty difficult to drive - had to keep double clutching it myself through town, but then I wasn't used to it.

I got him to take my 16 year old son for a ride, and my son is now 30 - and he still won't talk about it. My brother's focus was on the road ahead, but he said that my son was frozen in fear out of the corner of his eye.

My brother still has the car, garaged of course, waiting for someone to come along and take it off his hands. It's not the kind of beast normal people want. Based on the 160 -170 mph these beasts got stock in the 60's, I'm figuring it will do 200 mph, and pretty quick.

It's like driving an explosion.

harpda

Nov 24, 2012
Asia
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wasn't driving but the fastest i've ever been in a car was in my buddy's dodge charger on the autobahn while stationed in Germany. We got up to 165mph and it was an adrenaline rush!

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Fastest car I've personally driven is the 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 that I bought back in 1999. 3.0 liter twin turbo, all-wheel drive, with the 6 speed Getrag transmission.

If I tried to punch it in first gear, it would redline instantly. Was driving North out of Las Vegas on a stretch of good blacktop one day, without another car in sight, so I decided to test how fast the car would go. Hit 140 mph in 5th gear and still had more room to go, so probably could have reached 150 mph without redline. There was still 6th gear! :) I began thinking what would happen if a huge jackrabbit jumped out on the highway, or a wild burro there in Nevada, so I chickened out and never went past 140.

Speedometer goes to 180, although I've read that in stock form the car will top out around 170.

Drove a friends '74 big block Corvette a few times, but the amount of torque was really scary, and very easy to break loose the tires.

CC Hunter

Attachments

• GTVR4.jpg
    GTVR4.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an 06 Subaru impreza wrx sti....in....2009....put a very ridiculous amount of money in it when the engine blew and made it 635 hp at the wheels, on a mustang dyno... It's Speedo only read 180....but it still went faster :).....0-100 in "oh$#!+".... ...let a friend...borrow it..a "friend".... He wrecked it.... Sitting n my back yard now til I get $ for a new fpBlack turbo and .48mm wastegate and new tranny....*sigh* ...miss my car... Was always fun racing crotch rockets and winning...

-beav3r

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread