What's new

Whats the scariest thing thats happened to you while detecting?

Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

The scariest thing that happened while I was detecting? Well, I was detecting in a lake where the water level had gone down a lot. I saw a goose nesting platform that had fallen over, so I thought I would be nice to the geese and set it up for them. It was heavy, but I got it set up straight and piled the rocks up around it, and it seemed solid. The scary part? When I turned back to my detector (A 1 month old Whites XLT) it was just in time to see the heavy goose platform come crashing down right on top of my detector! Luckily the ground was about a foot deep mud, but it still bent the crap out of the screen and flattened the control box. After I pried my detector out of the mud and wiped it off, I turned it on and it still worked like new, even mangled the way it was. I took it apart when I got home and hammered the box back into shape on my anvil. It looked like hell but worked great for another 15 years. Niffler
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

thrillathahunt said:
LiquidAsset said:
Walking through the thicket and coming across a vagrant community. I stopped dead in my tracks and quickly got out of there. I found out the following week that the vagrants had kidnapped a women and kept her back there for two days and rapped her. Never a day goes by when I hunt that I don't think of that incident. Since then, I tend to me more cautious and not so "buck wild."

For you as a woman to come upon a situation like that all alone is scary! I mean who knows what would have happened if they would have seen you. Sounds like it could be the intro of a horror movie!

Much obliged for the response. The police supposedly cleaned them out, but some stragglers managed to keep lurking around. I detect almost everyday and for the most part have a good sense of "well being." Yet, I do run across more "iffy" confrontations then men do. The jack in the box surprise is that I pack a 45......
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Running up on Ron Lord on the beach at Marco Island, last November! LOL! Just kidding Ron, you know I love ya! Hope to see ya again soon.

Catching a fish, with my Excall, at high tide, in murky murky water. Actually he was the one that got away. From the feel of him, after I had been stepping all over him, and he almost jerked my machine outta my hand, he was no small fry, woulda made a supper, maybe, I have no idea what had me. But his teeth marks remained on the coil and coil cover! New found respect for high tide/murky water.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

pat-tekker-cat said:
Running up on Ron Lord on the beach at Marco Island, last November! LOL! Just kidding Ron, you know I love ya! Hope to see ya again soon.

Catching a fish, with my Excall, at high tide, in murky murky water. Actually he was the one that got away. From the feel of him, after I had been stepping all over him, and he almost jerked my machine outta my hand, he was no small fry, woulda made a supper, maybe, I have no idea what had me. But his teeth marks remained on the coil and coil cover! New found respect for high tide/murky water.

Most likely a sand shark......not the detector. :o ;D
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

My wife was detecting in ground covered with leaves and disturbed a yellow jacket nest. I heard the most God awful scream I've ever heard and saw her come running across the yard with the bees in hot pursuit. First thing that came to mind was to get her in the pool so the bees would leave her alone. She is highly allergic and went into septic shock. Gave her an injection with her eppy pen and called 911. Luckily there is a fire station about 3/4 of a mile from us and they were there in less than 3 minutes. If they had been any later she would have probably died. Never been so scared in my life. She had about 75 stings and still has scars from them.
I did visit the fire station later and thanked them for saving her life.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Got shot at by a couple of thugs...
and lost in the woods.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

A lady reported she saw some guys bury a woman on a beach at the nearby lake. A deputy sheriff asked me to help find the body. I found it and it was face down in the sand with only the back of her head showing. Scared hell out of me as I was not expecting to find anything. The officers slowly dug the lady up and it was a wig on a manikin head attached to a bag of trash! Monty
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Coming home from a long day of detecting only to meet an angry wife with a wagner frying pan in her hand. Scaaaaaaary!!!!
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Daedalus said:
Set down by a tree to rest while detecting in the woods , a 6 foot black snake came down out of the tree and across my shoulder and down across my leg and out to the woods like I was not even there.

That got me excited but after the snake was away I saw that it was a black snake so it was not dangerous, but I really did not want to get bit as that does hurt .
Now I look in the trees when I set by one just to make sure there is not one up there bird hunting !

I would have needed to change my pants. I hate snakes even harmless ones when they sneak up on me
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

idigdirt said:
Coming home from a long day of detecting only to meet an angry wife with a wagner frying pan in her hand. Scaaaaaaary!!!!

You know, when you think about this, it really IS scary! :laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • imagesCA5QLJOI.webp
    imagesCA5QLJOI.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,379
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Alright, here is one. I detect near the Rio Grande. I still do, and I carry. Better safe than sorry and besides you can run into a mighty irritated Western Diamondback. I have had my share of run in's with illegals and for the most part no problems. A couple of incidences of them yelling at me but no big. Well about 3 years ago after Dolly came through I was checking little side roads to the river from the highway and went down one I already knew led to a pretty isolated landing. I drove up, parked and got out looking at the ground for old pottery or glass shards which would indicate good hunting. I heard yelling and looked across the river and 3 Mexicans were standing on the river bank shouting names at me in Spanish that mostly had to do with my mother. Being the indignant proud type I am I gave the one finger salute back. Wrong ideal. This one guy with a Henry the VIIIth pulled a very distinctive shape from behind his leg. It was the shape of a Kalashnikov. No way was I turning my back, but both hands went out in front of me and with the traditional stop flat hands and I started backing away to my car lickity split. They yelled and hollered and I reached for my car door handle behind me. I slid into my car while keeping my eyes locked onto the fellow brandishing the AK. As I started up I could see the guy play shooting my car. He acted like the gun was recoiling and I could see his cheeks puff out as he went POW with each imaginary shot. I sped out of there as fast as I could. I was so happy that I had left the car in a half turn and did not have to back out or turn fully around. I got to the hwy about a mile away and stopped with my window down. My heart was beating a mile a minute. Suddenly I heard rifle reports in the distance. Enough already. I pointed the car to Brownsville and sped away.

Yes, I still hunt near the river and I always carry. I am even more careful. Those cartel fellows are well armed. Now that was my scariest moment detecting, even though I never managed to get the detector out of my car, it was the sole reason I was even in that remote area.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Monty said:
A lady reported she saw some guys bury a woman on a beach at the nearby lake. A deputy sheriff asked me to help find the body. I found it and it was face down in the sand with only the back of her head showing. Scared hell out of me as I was not expecting to find anything. The officers slowly dug the lady up and it was a wig on a manikin head attached to a bag of trash! Monty

That is just crazy !!!
21stTNCav said:
Alright, here is one. I detect near the Rio Grande. I still do, and I carry. Better safe than sorry and besides you can run into a mighty irritated Western Diamondback. I have had my share of run in's with illegals and for the most part no problems. A couple of incidences of them yelling at me but no big. Well about 3 years ago after Dolly came through I was checking little side roads to the river from the highway and went down one I already knew led to a pretty isolated landing. I drove up, parked and got out looking at the ground for old pottery or glass shards which would indicate good hunting. I heard yelling and looked across the river and 3 Mexicans were standing on the river bank shouting names at me in Spanish that mostly had to do with my mother. Being the indignant proud type I am I gave the one finger salute back. Wrong ideal. This one guy with a Henry the VIIIth pulled a very distinctive shape from behind his leg. It was the shape of a Kalashnikov. No way was I turning my back, but both hands went out in front of me and with the traditional stop flat hands and I started backing away to my car lickity split. They yelled and hollered and I reached for my car door handle behind me. I slid into my car while keeping my eyes locked onto the fellow brandishing the AK. As I started up I could see the guy play shooting my car. He acted like the gun was recoiling and I could see his cheeks puff out as he went POW with each imaginary shot. I sped out of there as fast as I could. I was so happy that I had left the car in a half turn and did not have to back out or turn fully around. I got to the hwy about a mile away and stopped with my window down. My heart was beating a mile a minute. Suddenly I heard rifle reports in the distance. Enough already. I pointed the car to Brownsville and sped away.

Yes, I still hunt near the river and I always carry. I am even more careful. Those cartel fellows are well armed. Now that was my scariest moment detecting, even though I never managed to get the detector out of my car, it was the sole reason I was even in that remote area.

Whoa that wouldve scared anyone !
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

21stTNCav said:
Alright, here is one. I detect near the Rio Grande. I still do, and I carry. Better safe than sorry and besides you can run into a mighty irritated Western Diamondback. I have had my share of run in's with illegals and for the most part no problems. A couple of incidences of them yelling at me but no big. Well about 3 years ago after Dolly came through I was checking little side roads to the river from the highway and went down one I already knew led to a pretty isolated landing. I drove up, parked and got out looking at the ground for old pottery or glass shards which would indicate good hunting. I heard yelling and looked across the river and 3 Mexicans were standing on the river bank shouting names at me in Spanish that mostly had to do with my mother. Being the indignant proud type I am I gave the one finger salute back. Wrong ideal. This one guy with a Henry the VIIIth pulled a very distinctive shape from behind his leg. It was the shape of a Kalashnikov. No way was I turning my back, but both hands went out in front of me and with the traditional stop flat hands and I started backing away to my car lickity split. They yelled and hollered and I reached for my car door handle behind me. I slid into my car while keeping my eyes locked onto the fellow brandishing the AK. As I started up I could see the guy play shooting my car. He acted like the gun was recoiling and I could see his cheeks puff out as he went POW with each imaginary shot. I sped out of there as fast as I could. I was so happy that I had left the car in a half turn and did not have to back out or turn fully around. I got to the hwy about a mile away and stopped with my window down. My heart was beating a mile a minute. Suddenly I heard rifle reports in the distance. Enough already. I pointed the car to Brownsville and sped away.

Yes, I still hunt near the river and I always carry. I am even more careful. Those cartel fellows are well armed. Now that was my scariest moment detecting, even though I never managed to get the detector out of my car, it was the sole reason I was even in that remote area.

I have heard stories similar to yours, and it is a crying shame. Citizens of this country are taking their lives into their own hands even traveling to that portion of the USA!!! It is almost like a war zone!
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

thrillathahunt said:
21stTNCav said:
Alright, here is one. I detect near the Rio Grande. I still do, and I carry. Better safe than sorry and besides you can run into a mighty irritated Western Diamondback. I have had my share of run in's with illegals and for the most part no problems. A couple of incidences of them yelling at me but no big. Well about 3 years ago after Dolly came through I was checking little side roads to the river from the highway and went down one I already knew led to a pretty isolated landing. I drove up, parked and got out looking at the ground for old pottery or glass shards which would indicate good hunting. I heard yelling and looked across the river and 3 Mexicans were standing on the river bank shouting names at me in Spanish that mostly had to do with my mother. Being the indignant proud type I am I gave the one finger salute back. Wrong ideal. This one guy with a Henry the VIIIth pulled a very distinctive shape from behind his leg. It was the shape of a Kalashnikov. No way was I turning my back, but both hands went out in front of me and with the traditional stop flat hands and I started backing away to my car lickity split. They yelled and hollered and I reached for my car door handle behind me. I slid into my car while keeping my eyes locked onto the fellow brandishing the AK. As I started up I could see the guy play shooting my car. He acted like the gun was recoiling and I could see his cheeks puff out as he went POW with each imaginary shot. I sped out of there as fast as I could. I was so happy that I had left the car in a half turn and did not have to back out or turn fully around. I got to the hwy about a mile away and stopped with my window down. My heart was beating a mile a minute. Suddenly I heard rifle reports in the distance. Enough already. I pointed the car to Brownsville and sped away.

Yes, I still hunt near the river and I always carry. I am even more careful. Those cartel fellows are well armed. Now that was my scariest moment detecting, even though I never managed to get the detector out of my car, it was the sole reason I was even in that remote area.

I have heard stories similar to yours, and it is a crying shame. Citizens of this country are taking their lives into their own hands even traveling to that portion of the USA!!! It is almost like a war zone!

Yer tellin me!!!
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

A friend wanted me to loan him a detector, and help him hunt his uncles house and yard,that had just passed away. His uncle had been a soldier in WW 2, and had told his nephew he had some treasure buried around his place. We had dug up a few coins and trash, when my friend yelled he had a large target to dig up. I made my way over there and watched as he dug up a live grenade. He almost fainted, and I was ready to call it quits then. Don't know for sure whether or not if it would have gone off having been in the ground for so long, but it sure brought our treasure hunting to an abrupt halt. rockhound
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

My partner and I went all the way from Houston to South Louisana to find a ring for a man who was supposed to be an "oil man". To make the story short, I found the ring and went to collect. The man brought out a pillowcase that held a briefcase, out of the briefcase he pulled a pistol. Instantly I had mine out from behind my back and had the drop on him. The briefcase was almost full of bundles of $100 bills, at least $50,000. He paid me my $1700 fee and we went home to Texas. Turned out he was on the FBI's 10 most wanted list... You can read the entire story in my new book when it comes out...
Richard
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Richard Ray said:
My partner and I went all the way from Houston to South Louisana to find a ring for a man who was supposed to be an "oil man". To make the story short, I found the ring and went to collect. The man brought out a pillowcase that held a briefcase, out of the briefcase he pulled a pistol. Instantly I had mine out from behind my back and had the drop on him. The briefcase was almost full of bundles of $100 bills, at least $50,000. He paid me my $1700 fee and we went home to Texas. Turned out he was on the FBI's 10 most wanted list... You can read the entire story in my new book when it comes out...
Richard

Did I read this right? $1700 fee for finding a ring? It must have been "some" ring.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

My standard fee was $250 a day (or any part of a day) (back in the 1980's), plus expences, also he offered me $1000 reward for finding the huge Emerald ring, the stone was over 3/8 inch.. Took half a day to drive over there, an afternoon of detecting, an overnight stay and found it the next morning. He'd already hired another detectorist for a week. He'd also bought the most expensive detector he could buy and had his men weed whack the entire lawn down to stubble. Without finding it, he called me in.... Seven months after losing it...
Richard
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

At a school out in the yard, I dug up a metal cylinder with lots of color wires and stuff coming out of it. It had some shiny dust around it or coming out of it. I was so scared it was a pipebomb, I carefully covered the hole back in and went on my way. I guess I should have contacted the school to let them know, just in case, but oh well.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Also I dug up some live ammo and threw it in my bag without thinking, and later showed it to my friend who was like "You know that can still explode and fire right?"
I was a bit more careful after I snapped back to reality and remembered that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom