What's new

Whats the scariest thing thats happened to you while detecting?

Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

There's some good ones here...I think my scariest moment was years ago on an old farmhouse site in Illinois. I was swinging away happily along the foundation, and suddenly felt the ground give way below me!!! One word went through my head "CISTERN!!!!!" I dropped about a foot, thinking to myself all about how I was alone, and no one knew where I was.........Turned out to be an old storm cellar stairway, had a piece of rotted board over it and about 6 inches of rotted weeds. I called that a day and headed for the tavern.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Nothing too scary, more like "When Animals Attack!". Got chased by a bull once, good thing the fence was pretty close. Another time I had a predatory bird of some sort (A hawk I believe) swoop down outta nowhere and leave his talon marks in the top of my bleeding head. Scared the bejesus out of me. I didn't know what was going on, it all happened so fast.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

NOLA_Ken said:
There's some good ones here...I think my scariest moment was years ago on an old farmhouse site in Illinois. I was swinging away happily along the foundation, and suddenly felt the ground give way below me!!! One word went through my head "CISTERN!!!!!" I dropped about a foot, thinking to myself all about how I was alone, and no one knew where I was.........Turned out to be an old storm cellar stairway, had a piece of rotted board over it and about 6 inches of rotted weeds. I called that a day and headed for the tavern.

You know, the thought of falling down an old camouflaged cistern is something that has always gave me the creeps. I think I'll have a drink just thinking about it.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

diggummup said:
Nothing too scary, more like "When Animals Attack!". Got chased by a bull once, good thing the fence was pretty close. Another time I had a predatory bird of some sort (A hawk I believe) swoop down outta nowhere and leave his talon marks in the top of my bleeding head. Scared the bejesus out of me. I didn't know what was going on, it all happened so fast.

Being attacked by a "bird of prey" is downright freaky!
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

I missed hearing the rattle of a rattler two foot from me in NC, luckily it didnt strike. Chased by moccosins, and all other swamp critters (New Bern NC., Clarks NC). In the same swamp, my best bud looked up just in time to see a black bear looking up at him, a few feet apart.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

It wasn't the scariest but pretty unusual,last week I went to Waco,Tx. to see a friends new ranch,about a 1000 acres,we were out walking thru some trees,where we found an old barn,then all of the sudden we hear crashing sounds above us,it turned out to be a guy out skydiving and he crashed in the trees,nothing broken except tree limbs.The look on his face was priceless. :icon_scratch:
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

1986 Two pit bulls came running up on me during a hunt once in Colorado, dogs were snarling and growling and foaming at the mouth and had bit the coil of my old red barron I never heard them comming cause I was wearing headphones, did not see them till they were right next to me. I got my .357 out and shot both Dead , I left them both on the side of the Mtn.
Neither dog had a collar and I was several Miles from the nearest home .

And that's why I don't hunt with head phone's on anymore and another time I had walked up on a rattler and never heard it either cause of the head phones.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

I'm also worried about the use of headphones but i do it. I carry 24/7 and Ive had some really strange people approach me and you know they up to no good. a couple weeks ago I had 3 punks coming at me looking around and somehow????? wing blew my vest out a little and they saw something they didnot want to deal with and with that they turned and left really fast. Its always a good reason to know what is around you even when your out in the woods. And like I've always said I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. always reminder just have fun and keep digging dirt !!!!!!!!!!!
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

One scary instance: "Goosed" while underwater detecting, but my partner was 30 feet in front of me!! I thought it was a 'hungry' about to take a piece out of me. Turned around slowly to see a California seal wanting to play--which I did most willingly.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Mackaydon said:
One scary instance: "Goosed" while underwater detecting, but my partner was 30 feet in front of me!! I thought it was a 'hungry' about to take a piece out of me. Turned around slowly to see a California seal wanting to play--which I did most willingly.
Wow, that's cool, I've never seen a seal underwater, only on the beach in Panama and California.. I did have a Sailfish "buzz" me off Cano Island. He did a circle around me with his sail in the up position, scared the heck out of me. LOLL
Richard
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Great stories everyone! :notworthy: Thanks for sharing!

I'm sure we would all like to hear some more......... :hello2:
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Mackaydon said:
One scary instance: "Goosed" while underwater detecting, but my partner was 30 feet in front of me!! I thought it was a 'hungry' about to take a piece out of me. Turned around slowly to see a California seal wanting to play--which I did most willingly.

OMG! Funny and terrifying at the same time! How you had the presence of mind and "turned slowly," I can't even imagine as I would have JERKED around screaming, releasing every bit of air and bodily fluids into the surrounding waters with a force not seen since the eruption of Mount St. Helen's - LOL!

Here is my funny and terrifying true story --- I was out in the Atlantic surf yesterday up to my knees, with waves just above my waist. It was 5:10 am, and the fog had visibility down to around 25-feet. It was still pretty dark, and I was using my headlamp to see into my scoop to retrieve a target when I saw a little reflection of a silver 6" fish go swimming by. I smiled, retrieved the target (fishing lure) and moved on. When I got home I told my gal about the fish swimming by and she said, "What if a Great White hits you in the shallow water, and in the dark and fog like that? Who's going to know?"

Sometimes love bites..
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

OK: Funny and terrifying--at the same time situation: While excavating underwater a lower deck, my dive buddy was laid out prone, gropping into a pile of sand partially covering some creates when a sand avalanche buried him from his head to just above his knees. All I could see was his flapping legs from the knees down; the rest of him was buried. Scary experienced but I was both scared 's/l' and laughing at the same time at the sight. Good ending: pulled him out and we quickly went topside for a couple of brews--enough work for that day.
Don...
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Mackaydon said:
One scary instance: "Goosed" while underwater detecting, but my partner was 30 feet in front of me!! I thought it was a 'hungry' about to take a piece out of me. Turned around slowly to see a California seal wanting to play--which I did most willingly.
Got a friend, 'bout 260lbs, big fellow, used to go lobstering along the rocks at the Port everglades inlet at night.
Got "goosed" by something big, he said, "knocked the wind outta" him, for real, couldn't get his breath back almost!
He never went back there again.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

I've been bumped a couple times when diving murky water, never been bitten or hurt. Once when diving off the Florida keys, (Marquises), I looked out the side window of my mask and saw this huge eye looking back at me... After my heart slowed down, it turned out to be a curious Barracuda that was just watching over my shoulder while I worked.. He was huge but not aggressive, they just look fearful, the way they open and close their mouth when sitting still...
Also was diving with my partner on the wreck of the Acadia (confederate blockade runner) off Freeport, Texas. I was curious about a series of shallow depressions in the sand and started to poke my Hawaiian sling into one, when my partner started shaking his head "NO". About that time everything seemed to explode the sand around us. It was a big sting ray buried in the sand. Probably scared him as much as me... LOLL
Richard
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

RR, last year, lobstering in the keys, one of my girlfriends from Ga, jumped in, sight unseen, and a 6-8 foot shark swam inches, in front of her mask!
She screamed under water, for almost a minute, paralyzed, and we all SWORE, her pitbulls ears in Augusta perked up at the same time! :laughing7:
It was hilarious, though!
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Ok, here's another one. 'Back in the day' (think: before pressure guages were common-- when 'J-valve' rods opened up a reserve of about 300-500 psi telling you to surface), my wife and I were doing SCUBA on the Palencar Reef off Cozumel (maybe the best vis I've ever seen). Somehow, her waistbelt holding the tank snapped open and her tank headed for the surface--while she kept a tight bite on the mouthpiece. Imagine the scene--watching her attempt to swim up to the tank as it pulled her to the surface, attached only by the airhose. Scary and funny. I've GOT to get back to work.........
Don...
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Wow gang, this is better than watching Sunday afternoon TV. ;D :thumbsup:
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

Seeing a 5ft black snake in front of an old homestead poisonous or not lol don't like snakes.
 
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

This is from another thread:

" I was in the middle of nowhere walking down an abandon road when about 100 yards in front of me, some guy pops out of the bushes in full camo. He unzips his shirt and pulls something out that looks like a knife and then brings a bandanna up to his face. I switched my shovel to my good arm and started walking towards him and I realized he pulled out shears and was wiping the sweat off his face. He was about 65 years old and his face was covered in scars. I think he was just as apprehensive as me as I was of him, hence the shears. I tried talking to him but he would just mumble weird stuff about "Indian relics" his friend had."

Now, about a week ago I was going to hit a field a couple towns away. I had been there the previously day and met a nice Englishman who was setting up a traditional fox hunt. As I walked down the dirt road I saw a pickup truck near the edge of the field and someone on the other side. Like I usually do, I approached the truck to say hi and give a heads up on what I was doing. I also usually use that as my time to get new leads on spots. As I got closer to the truck I could see the but of a rifle. I assumed it had something to do with the fox hunt that was coming up. To my surprise it was the same creepy guy I met before. I asked him if he remembered me and he said he did. I then asked what he was hunting, he said "chipmunks and coyotes. Just kidding, I'm hunting chipmunks" I then asked him why and he didn't respond. I asked again this time adding, "do you eat them?" He then proceeded to ramble about how he was going to Maine in a couple of days and that he uses the dead chipmunks as bait for coyotes. I asked him why he was killing coyotes. He tells me how he likes to watch the other animals come and eat them after they're dead. I'm thinking to myself, this guy is friggan' sick. I pretty much wrapped up our conversation by saying, I'm going over there (pointing to the woods on the left), don't shoot that way. He says, "I try not to shoot near humans." This seems like a good thing. However, I didn't like the word TRY and HUMANS. Humans just didn't sit right with me. At this point I debated about going into the woods at all. I did though and I could hear a couple of shots pop off way too close to me so I cut through the woods back onto the main road and around to my car. He was gone when I got back.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom