Alright, I have already told my scariest moment detecting, but I also there to witness my good friend Dawn's son's scariest moment and brothers and sisters, it was pretty scary.
The Port Mansfield cut is about twenty two miles North of the Queen Isabella Causeway on South Padre Island. The only way to get there via land is to drive the beach so you better have your 4wd ready.
We took off one Sat morning about two years ago with Dawn's 14 yr old son who wanted to fish at the jetties on the cut. We were rolling up the beach by about 9:00 AM. Once we left the hard top at the last beach access north a sudden thought hit me. Just about 3 miles north of the last beach access is where the nudist hang out, and that is not a pun. I asked Dawn who was driving us in her Nissan 4x4 truck if she knew about the nudist. "Heck no. This is my first time driving up the beach!".
I felt sorta bad but told her it was usually only a few people especially this time of the morning. About this moment her son spotted a lady sitting in the front of her vehicle in a lawn chair with nothing on but a smile. She was not a spring chicken and had the furnature disease, you know, when your chest falls down into you drawers? "Oh S**t!!" Dawn's son exclaimed. About this time the lady's husband walked from behind the vehicle on full display, like a rooster who knows dawn is 5 min away. Of course the gentleman looked to be 9 months pregnant and about to deliver a case of Budwiser. "NO, NO!! I heard Dawns son exclaim from the back. I looked over and Dawn was laughing her rear off. What ensued was about a mile where we saw about 12 couples disrobed. None of them looked like Vin Diesel or J Lo, not even close. I don't' think a single one was under 65. As a matter of fact the boy who was all excited to understand we were going through a nude area minutes ago was aghast that none of them looked like a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader.
I looked back to Dawn's boy and calmly said "Well buddy, they don't all look like Swedish swimsuit models do they?".
We detected until about 4:00PM and on the way back, and I lie to you not, this 14 year old put a towel over his head when we reached the nude area!!
Was he scarred for life?? Maybe a little, but he no longer thinks "Nude Beach' is synonymous with "Sexy looking chicks"!!!