What's new

Whats your favorite treasure magazine?

bigtim1973

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
834
Reaction score
326
Golden Thread
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Western and Eastern Treasure and Lost Treasure but what else is out there if? How is American Digger magazine? I have never had the chance to even look at one of those magazines. Is there any others that is also good? Tim
 
W&E has been my longtime favorite. I used to read Treasure Found years back, I think there was also Treasure Lost ???
Have also subscribed to Lost treasure but just haven't gotten into it like W&E
 
There both overpriced, way overprised ! Why not go to the same sources they use for their stories? Get the books written by Dobie, Terry, Carson and Penfield. It will cost you less in the long run and you don't have to put up with the ads. You can get them on Amazon and E Bay. Frank
 
I also like the old magazines from Long John Latham called True Treasure. Those are kind of fun to read. I like the old adds also they are kind of fun too. Thought about trying American Digger but have not had anyones input on it yet. Anyone want to comment about it? Tim
 
Long John put out a good mag. at a fair price. He also had a topnotch artist to illustrate it. He got hung up on that rockhound/TH ranch idea and let the mag go. I still have many stories copied from his mags. Those stories were more detailed than some present copies of them. Another good mag was the Desert mag. Someone is trying to revive it. That had stories by the old researchers who new there stuff. Go to the library and read some of the work of the authors I mentioned above and you can forget the mags. Frank
 
American Digger is a great magazine. They have lots of pictures a lot of them in color. All the pictures come from the individuals who found the item. The magazine only comes out every other month and it is one of the more expensive magazines. The author is always looking for stories and pictures to publish so if you want to get your stuff published you should check it out.

Don
 
OutBack Duo said:
American Digger is a great magazine. They have lots of pictures a lot of them in color. All the pictures come from the individuals who found the item. The magazine only comes out every other month and it is one of the more expensive magazines. The author is always looking for stories and pictures to publish so if you want to get your stuff published you should check it out.

Don

Finally looked them up and was almost fixing to get a subscrition until I found out it was bi-monthly. And the price is too expensive also..Maybe I am just cheap, Tim
 
Frankn said:
Long John put out a good mag. at a fair price. He also had a topnotch artist to illustrate it. He got hung up on that rockhound/TH ranch idea and let the mag go. I still have many stories copied from his mags. Those stories were more detailed than some present copies of them. Another good mag was the Desert mag. Someone is trying to revive it. That had stories by the old researchers who new there stuff. Go to the library and read some of the work of the authors I mentioned above and you can forget the mags. Frank

Yea he was a rock hound and he sure did talk about it alot in the from the publisher section. I think he sold out to Lost Treasure to help pay for that big ranch he bought. I really liked the letters to the editor section in his true treasure magazine. SOme as so good I thought about posting them up here on t'net for others to enjoy. I will check out some of those authors you mentioned. Still enjoy reading first hand accounts from average diggers in a magazine. It is fun to look on here but there is something about a good magazine to read at your leasure for me. Tim
 
My Computer and the internet.......NGE
 
"Relic Hunter" online magazine. Can find the link in the "magazines" section of the main forum listings here. Articles from around the world and pics. :thumbsup:
 
I can't believe the price of magazines nowadays. It wasn't that long ago that you could get a year's subscription to treasure magazines for under $10.

There are only three now - Lost, W&E, and American Digger. The first two are general interest, the third comes from Georgia and seems to concentrate heavily on the Civil War and the South.

Famous magazines of the past:

True Treasure and Treasure World - both owned by Long John Latham, they each came out every other month and were really pretty much the same magazine. Concentrated on lost mines of the old west, and buried treasures all over the US.

Treasure, Treasure Search, and Treasure Found - all owned by Jess Publishing, which suddenly went out of business in 1992. I understand they left a lot of their writers unpaid there at the end. But they were excellent general-purpose treasure magazines.

Treasure Quest - a unique magazine, in that it ran reviews of detectors that were actually critical. Because of that, the detector manufacturers wouldn't advertise and they went out of business. I should know their dates - I wrote for them! - I think they were around for two or three years in the late '90s.

You can often find back issues of the old magazines for sale on eBay, and I have a few hundred at http://treasuremagazines.info. One thing you'll notice fast is that the article subjects from back then are pretty much being repeated in the new magazines of today. What goes around, comes around.
 
Hmmm, I thought there was only one? :wink:

American Digger is my second choice.



The best magazine hands down is:

Great work Steve
 

Attachments

  • Nelson-Bugle-Article-title.webp
    Nelson-Bugle-Article-title.webp
    76.4 KB · Views: 363
W&E is not the magazine it was. I enjoyed the test and review sections. Reader's Digest is another.I dropped W&E because I really don't care about Exotic treasure sites and underwater diving expeditions. I hunt dirt. Old schools and homes and parks. Read one diver story and you read them all. We all know that there was only one survivor that managed to whisper his last words to a kindly stranger.
There are none on the local news stands that I can sample. At one time there were 3 to 5 titles at Barns & Nobel. There still may be, but it cost $20.00 in gas to go find out.
 
I, like the previous post states, am kind of tired of what is only limitedly available for our hobby when it comes to choices of magazines for our hobby. These magazines should not cost so much for what is in them. I like to see average Joes finding things and not the big time dive teams. I have seen alot of stories on Australian gold but who can afford to go out on a trip like that? Not me. I like to see what people have found at local beaches, parks, battlesites, schools and homesites. I like good field test not just a show of features on the machine with a picture of an old hot wheel they found at a park. Dive stories are nice every now and then but which one of us will ever get to do that? I like stuff that is within reach. How about updates on the old treasure tales instead of just re publishing the old stories? I wish I could afford to publish a magazine for average Joes who can realate and have fun reading with the hopes of finding something within reach and not off some old Carribian treasure dive that is funded by some government and the subscription would be 15.00 to 20.00 per year like all of the other magazines out there. Maybe I am asking too much, Tim
 
Woodland Detectors said:
Hmmm, I thought there was only one? :wink:

American Digger is my second choice.



The best magazine hands down is:

Great work Steve


I have never saw that magazine but, at 6 bucks an issue it better have 200 pages of good reading in it.
 
Are treasure hunting mags still on the newstands or are they all an internet thing now? I never find them here in Summit county, CO. Are they mostly a subscription only deal, or is this just a resort/vacation destination area 'thang'? (and get every J. Frank Dobie book you can get.)
 
RGINN said:
Are treasure hunting mags still on the newstands or are they all an internet thing now? I never find them here in Summit county, CO. Are they mostly a subscription only deal, or is this just a resort/vacation destination area 'thang'? (and get every J. Frank Dobie book you can get.)

Alot of the big chain bookstores, like Barnes and Noble usually have them at the cover price. There are some good online detecting sites but it seems they are getting to be subscription only, where they used to be at regular newstands at the supermarket.
 
When one talks about the Southwest it has to be Desert Magazine..... The complete collection is online FREE!!!!!! Over 500 issues, you can download, print, bookmark, email any edition you like at this website...

http://dezertmagazine.com/old-desert-magazine

odm222.webp​
 

Attachments

  • odm222.webp
    odm222.webp
    76.5 KB · Views: 294
bigtim1973 said:
I like Western and Eastern Treasure and Lost Treasure but what else is out there if? How is American Digger magazine? I have never had the chance to even look at one of those magazines. Is there any others that is also good? Tim

How about Lost Treasure Magazine? I have done a couple of reviews for them. - Terry
 
Lost Treasure is my favorite also!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom