Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lobster Pirate said:
I dont post much on this site and just recently became a charter member. I could not help but to add these pictures to this discussion.

Large Ais indian winter camp with large fresh water supply located on the barrier island.

LP
Welcome to the forum. The Pentoaya sign reads:

Winter time Ais Indian town of Pentoaya.

In 1605 Florida's Spanish Governor Pedro de Ybarra sent Lt. Alvaro Mexia on a diplomatic mission to the Ais Indians. Mexia recorded his passage from St. Augustine down the coast to the principal Ais Indian town near present-day Vero Beach. At the confluence of Ulumay Lagoon (Banana River Lagoon) and the Great Bay of Ais (Indian River Lagoon) Mexia reported the location of the winter-time Ais Indian Town of Pentoaya. He recorded that the 17th century town of Pentoaya was located directly opposite on the western mainland, near the confluence of the Eau Gallie and the Indian Rivers. The Winter-Time Town of Pentoaya was located between this park and the Banana River Lagoon, to the west. It consisted of a complex of shell middens, mounds and a causeway, which divided the small lake seen from this marker. Little remains of these mounds, as the shells found in them were used as roadbed material early in the 20th century.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Cooper 42,

It ius a pity that Don did not have the satisfaction of obtaining a significant artifact from his "ghost ship" site before he died. I understand that on the last survey expedition, they located what might have been a bronze cannon and started to recover it, but the line had not been properly wound around the object and became undone. It would be nice if somebody is able to continue his work there, and bring his dream to fulfillment.

There is no evidence, of course, that it is a Cortes ship, but I found the story about the Aztec "calendar" very interesting. If a bronze cannon can be recovered from the site, that might provide a massive clue. By 1522, Cortes was casting his own bronze cannons in Mexico, and from another project, I know that he cast the date of production into many of them.

Perhaps you could PM me with any first-hand information about the history of the site and the artifact that was recovered there. I might add that I have no interest or intention of trying to locate and recover the wreck myself.

Best wishes,

Mariner

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Villages in the coast district of eastern Florida between St. Augustine and Cape Canaveral.

The following towns are given in this province extending from north to south, but not all of the native names have been preserved:

Anacape, said to have been 20 leagues south of St. Augustine.
Antonico, another possible name is Tunsa.
Equale, location uncertain.
Filache, location uncertain.
Maiaca, a few leagues north of Cape Canaveral and on St. Johns River.
Moloa, south of the mouth of St. Johns River (omitted from later lists).
San Julian, location uncertain.
San Sebastian, on an arm of the sea near St. Augustine, destroyed in 1600 by a flood.
Tocoy, given by one writer as 5 leagues from St. Augustine; by another as 24
leagues.

The names Macaya and Maycoya, which appear in the neighborhood of the last of these are probably synonyms or corruptions of Maiaca, but there seems to have been a sister town of Maiaca at an early date which Fontaneda (1854) calls Mayajuaca or Mayjuaca. In addition to the preceding, a number of town names have been preserved which perhaps belong to places in this province. Some of them may be synonyms of the town names already given, especially of towns like Antonico and St. Julian, the native names of which are otherwise unknown.
These include:

Qacoroy, 1½ leagues from Nocoroco.
Caparaca, southwest of Nocoroco.
Chimaucayo, south of St. Augustine.
Ccicale, 3 leagues south of Nocoroco.
Colucuchia, several leagues south of Nocoroco.
Disnica, probably south of St. Augustine, though not necessarily in the Fresh Water Province.
Elanogue, near Antonico.
Malaca, south of Nocoroco.
Mogote, in the region of Nocorooo.
Nocoroco, one day's journey south of Matanzas Inlet and on a river called Nocoroco River, perhaps Halifax River.
Perqumaland, south of the last mentioned; possibly two towns, Perqul and Maland.
Pia, south of Nocoroco.
Sabobche, south of Nocoroco.
Tomeo, apparently near or in the Fresh Water province.
Tuoura, apparently in the same province as the last mentioned.
Yaocay, near Antonioo.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
bigcypresshunter, great post. Those indian town names are a great reference.

cliffscot

Oct 19, 2007
Bimini, Bahamas & Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8-x, Garrett Sea Hunter
Peg Leg said:
I wonder how much gold and silver was actually recovered by the Indians.
I do not believe it was near as much as people think UNLESS the ship were wrecked very very close to shore or actually came to rest on the beach then and only then was serious recovery of anything possible.
How much treasure can a diver today with all the equipment available recover. Now go back a few hundred years and thnik what it would take to move a CHEST full of coins-IMPOSSIBLE.
The most a FREE diver can recovery say from 10' of water would be no more than a handfull at a time and these Indians were not professional divers and do not forget the most important thing THE BOAT/CANOE they would be using.
So what I am saying here is that MOST of the treasure the indians recovered came from ships that were beached.
10 to 20 people could pull a chest of coins across the dunes. They had plenty of rope available.
Here is another thing you can do to prove what I am saying is true or not.
Take MAG or an OKM or a Deep Probe MD and scan the parking lot at Sabastian and Jupiter Inlet and after you do this go to the Indian River side and do it again. SURPRISE-SURPRISE-SURPRISE will be an understatement.
More Later
Peg Leg

What is Peg Leg talking about here with the MAG or OKM? I didn't get a chance to ask him about it.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

bobw

Nov 10, 2005
Titusville , florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been reading these posts and I was wondering if anybody ventured to these spots that peg leg was talking about . mainly big island

bob

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Hangingfor8 said:
What a shame old Pegleg can't pass on anymore of his stories. What a good guy. I miss him. :(

Yeah, Peg was cool, even though he did discredit me to some extent with the event I co-organized with him in Cocoa last year (I won't elaborate in public). Some of his treasure sites I personally condidered borderline fantasy, but certainly were based on lore he discovered in his era. He was sure one to joggle the mind of modern hunters. Godspeed Peg!

I am contemplating another treasure show, not this year, but next - probably in conjunction with the FUN show in Orlando or West Palm. I have been doing some study.

FWIW, I have done many large events on non-related topics, so anything will be first class (at least in my mind <grin>). Thanks for ther great support in Cocoa last year and stay tuned for an early 2009 event.

Stan Dilcher
"diverwrecks"

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know what you mean, but he sure did make ya wonder.... The world lost one of the good ones when he passed on. I'm sure he's looking down on us with a smile.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Hangingfor8 said:
I know what you mean, but he sure did make ya wonder.... The world lost one of the good ones when he passed on. I'm sure he's looking down on us with a smile.

We need to take these old stories and lore and document them before they all pass. I am working on a few.

Anyone with special info on the 1715 Dragon Whistle please contact me privately: diverwrecks at Hotmail

Queens trasure (1715-dowry) also of interest....
Stan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there was a rather large indain village near green cove springs -- will supplydetails if interested

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
ivan salis said:
there was a rather large indain village near green cove springs -- will supplydetails if interested

Ivan, yes, please elaborate if you have the time and will to pass it on. Thanks!

EPWright

Greenie
Nov 25, 2013
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Peg was cool, even though he did discredit me to some extent with the event I co-organized with him in Cocoa last year (I won't elaborate in public). Some of his treasure sites I personally condidered borderline fantasy, but certainly were based on lore he discovered in his era. He was sure one to joggle the mind of modern hunters. Godspeed Peg!

I am contemplating another treasure show, not this year, but next - probably in conjunction with the FUN show in Orlando or West Palm. I have been doing some study.

FWIW, I have done many large events on non-related topics, so anything will be first class (at least in my mind <grin>). Thanks for ther great support in Cocoa last year and stay tuned for an early 2009 event.

Stan Dilcher
"diverwrecks"
Good evening.
Interested in referencing his fantasy sites with you for 2022 exploration.
Thank uou.

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rob,

I also noticed that the other day.......
Ok - there is a lot of misinformation going on in this thread. Cocoa Beach native here. Parents, Grandparents, Great Grandparents, Great Great.

So - the islands Peg Leg pointed out. There is nothing on them. There is no spring or freshwater. We have been all over those island since were little (33 now). We used to camp on them. Checked out every island for solid camp places. Heck one island we set up a round BMX loop with jumps. Only thing you would find on those islands are old beer cans or maybe some broken glass bongs haha

As far the canals in the interior of them - they were mosquito canals. They dug these in the 60's to concentrate the mosquitos away from the mainland. No idea if they actually worked but they all have those. Not hard bottom - all just super deep much. If there was a treasure chest in there, its 6 feet under muck.

The banana river in the late 1500's was also reported on by a spaniard who traveled down it from St. Augustine to Vero. The place by the cocoa beach golf course - was named Bay of Ais or Ais Lagoon or something and described as being crystal clear with a coquina rock bottom. It averages 3-4 feet unless you are in the channels. The channels are only 8 feet deep. Deepest part is by the cocoa beach pool/football fields of the school and that whole basin is 24-30 feet. They basically dredged the entire river to build what is now cocoa beach. Nothing was found in all of this river dredging to my knowledge of any of my families knowledge.

There was an indian mound near 16th street south in what is now called Snug Harbor. However - they bulldozed it and built houses in the early 16. They were nice enough to name a road in the subdivision after it though haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions