Where NOT to go in AZ

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll give you a B+ for effort. :laughing7:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know that no one is going to give up their hot spots, and I would not either, but can anyone tell me where not to even bother looking in AZ for gold? I know that the Holbrook area is a waste of time, but any other areas that are useless?

Are you familiar with this website? Welcome to Land Matters. If not then learn how to use it. All active mining claims in Arizona and other western states are detailed and those are among the places I would not bother looking since it is unlawful. I would and do look in areas adjacent to claimed areas as do many others. Just because adjacent areas are not claimed does not mean they do not have gold. Gold is easiest found in areas where it has been found before, often currently claimed areas, or nearby. More info to research. https://www.google.com/search?q=az+placer+deposits.&enablesearch=true

Good luck.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State Trust Land

OP
OP
F

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
I knew about indian land and school trust, but was not aware of the state trust issue.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you need to do a little more research in order to become a modern day prosoector.
Straight up - There is so much information available for free on the internet that your question seems a little lazy.
It’s history. Google Books is a good place to start.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you need to do a little more research in order to become a modern day prosoector.
Straight up - There is so much information available for free on the internet that your question seems a little lazy.

This forum exists so newbies can reach out to more experienced people.

Some people like interaction and answers to questions more than just reading information.

hawkeye39

May 12, 2013
Surprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI SL
Whites GMT
GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Your answer seems a little lazy. Sometimes people need a little help getting started. I think OP asked a pretty good question and got some good answers.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you familiar with this website? Welcome to Land Matters. If not then learn how to use it. All active mining claims in Arizona and other western states are detailed and those are among the places I would not bother looking since it is unlawful. I would and do look in areas adjacent to claimed areas as do many others. Just because adjacent areas are not claimed does not mean they do not have gold. Gold is easiest found in areas where it has been found before, often currently claimed areas, or nearby. More info to research. https://www.google.com/search?q=az+placer+deposits.&enablesearch=true

Good luck.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What arizau said! LM could not be simpler, best miner resource ever and free to use.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AZGS | Mineral Resources | Gold Prospecting

Click on gold prospecting and scroll down to the list of free publications.
There are mineral maps available at that site.
Places where no gold minerals are shown are good places to avoid.
Especially for someone going on vacation, with little time to actually prospect.
The gold will be found around places historically known for mining.

Check out these books.
LMGTFY

Land Matters Arizona Mining Claims

Turn on MRDS Mines. Avoid areas with no historical mining activity shown. Then check for active claims.

Once you have a specific area in mind, browse this site and see the extents of the potential deposits.
https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ngm-bin/ngm_search_dbi.pl?Title=&Author=&map_number=&geologictheme=geolgenbed&geologictheme=geolgensur&State=AZ&bc_ule=&bc_lre=&g_center=-110.58887%2C+34.41480&g_zoom=5.371&useextents=false&bc_ul=&bc_lr=&publisher_list=usgs&scale=24000&scale2=1000000&datebgn=&dateend=&format=

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go to Land Matters. Go to Maps. Choose Geology on the right. Choose Arizona. When the map appears select "Arizona Mineral Potential" and turn off the other Geology layers.

You now know where the mineralized areas are. The darker portions are areas of high mineral potential.

Now go back to Land Matters Maps and choose Mining Claims on the Right. Select Arizona from the list. When the map appears select "Arizona MIneral Potential". Now you can see that the areas of greatest mineral potential are the same areas people have made mining claims.

If you avoid all those areas with claims and all the areas with mineral potential you will know just what areas "Where NOT to go in AZ".

See wasn't that easy? :thumbsup:

Or you could go back to the beginning of this thread and reread it taking care to notice that 4 of the 14 replies already suggested you do this.

You might consider downloading and reading "Placer Gold Deposits of Arizona". Free and already OCR and searchable from the Land Matters Library.

Try typing "AZ Gold" into the Land Matters Library Search. You will find several downloadable books describing in detail areas that don't fit your request for "Where NOT to go in AZ". :icon_scratch:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Join the GPAA. they have some good claims in Az. All over the country for that matter. 1 year membership is quite affordable. Gives you legal access and I can and do still find gold on their claims. Best way to get started since you don't live here. Dennis

OP
OP
F

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
Elsewhere on this forum people are saying not to join them as it is a good old boys club for the actual benefit of just a few.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haters gonna hate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread