Who here goes armed whenever they are out in the field prospecting or detecting?

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It all just kinda sounds like a lotta rootin' - tootin' cowboy talk to me. Who here has ever shot another human being in self-defense?

I have never been put into a situation where I was forced to shoot someone. That includes when I was wearing badge and a gun as part of my job as a deputy sheriff. However there were three occasions when the presence of my gun stopped an incident before it escalated to the point of someone getting hurt. In two of those I was not on duty and not even a peace officer. I'll also point out that there were probably other situations when I was in uniform that the open presence of the gun on my hip averted trouble before I ever had to draw it from the holster. But I'm just talking about the three times I did have to draw. Those types of incidents are the ones that don't make the news because nobody got hurt. Stories like that don't sell advertising.

What we are seeing in this thread is the difference between viewpoints in different parts of this country plus one voice from a nation whose citizens are no longer trusted to own firearms. To all those who are uncomfortable around firearms and say they have never needed one, I say don't buy one. That is your right as a citizen. And if someday you are the victim of a violent home invasion, car jacking, rape, etc, I'll say that I bet you were wondering what took the police so long to arrive. I know I never arrived in time to prevent a violent act. I got there after the fact to take a report and attempt to find the perpetrator.

Storm

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number 9 - Maryland. We have the best politicians money can buy. It's a great one political party state too! No difference of opinion allowed here. We also have an illegal immigrant hanging outside every big box store waiting to work for YOUR company. It doesn't even matter what part of the world they come from! Equal opportunity law breaking, government encouraged (or at least ignored) for all I know or don't know. More gun laws coming! Wow! And now legal gay marriage! But please don't smoke. What a place to be in! Pretty soon they'll outlaw the constitution. Did you note the small amount of sarcasm? But back to reality - In my area it's too suburban to carry anything weightier than a golf club. Probably shouldn't even do that, but while there are probably big predators around, no one has seen them. They're very scattered, except for the cougar the DNR said we didn't really see some years ago, at my house no less. Somebody mentioned pepper spray. NEVER ever ever ever ever EVER take it across the Canadian border. It's apparently illegal to do that. Some poor border guard asked me if I was bringing any alcohol, tobacco or firearms into Canada. Answer was no, but then she asked me if I had any pepper spray. So inquiring minds needed to know. So I asked. Apparently they'll arrest you on the spot for trying to bring it into the country. BTW- when coming back here they ask if you're bringing any fruits or vegetables. Maybe I should have referred to the Canadian border guard as an answer to that one. Oh, well. This used to be a nice country.

Last edited:
OP
OP
idowa

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I realize my way of thinking and living is becoming more and more scarce in this once great country... I grew up hunting and fishing and enjoying the great outdoors and treating my fellow man with respect and courtesy.

I'm only in my 40's, but now my culture is considered "oppressive, intolerant, ignorant, radical"... The country was better off when my culture was prevalent; we didn't have school shootings, sky-rocketing teen pregnacies and single-mothers.

Carrying a gun for protection while out prospecting is one of the few things that remain from my youth...

Wyoming Prospector

Feb 14, 2013
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry almost always. Usually just carry my Ruger .22 on me. I even carry it in the back country, it works good to at least scare Bears away if they get to close. In rattler areas (eastern WY) it is good to have as well. In my Truck I have my Winchester model 94 30/30, and a Hi Point 9mm Rifle. Once in a while I will carry my 357 as my side arm, but most cases that is when I am in the wilderness where running into a grizzly is a very high possibility. Wyoming is very laid back in gun laws, which in my opinion is a good thing. It is a concealed carry state in which you don't even have to have a permit to carry. Even though not many people reside here in WY per capita it is a lowest of all states in crime, and homicide. But pretty much everybody has a gun of some form in their vehicle, and possible carry a side arm on them most of the time. I think most everybody that grew up in WY probably started shooting at a very early age, and have been through proper training classes, and respect firearms.

detectingarizona

Feb 4, 2013
tempe, arizona, usa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter challenger, and Ace 250, gold nugget bucket!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i carry pocket knives, and a bb gun, :(, because i am 15, but i go into the dessert, so i always have some sort of weapon near me. :laughing9:

Kampnhuntr

Oct 11, 2012
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Amigo II , White's XLT, Fisher Gold Strike, Minelab Pro-Find Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband & I both have a CCP he usually is with me so I don't always carry while out in the field.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ruger Blackhawk .357

Hmille10

May 8, 2012
SE MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you pistol owners make me jealous! Being 19 now, the first purchase on my list when I turn 21 is a pistol, it's pretty sad that I have to worry about if it will even be legal to buy one by that point but its what I've always wanted. Once that happens then I will be able to carry like the rest of you!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always carry when out in the woods, desert. Here's a story for ya.
One day my buddy and I were heading out for a fishing trip. My buddy was driving. He had his colt 45. I had my ruger blackhawk 44 mag. Well my buddy was driving above the posted speed limit by Roosevelt Lake. So we started to unload the guns prior to the cop getting to the truck. We didn't want him freaking out that we had loaded weapons on the dash. Lol.
Well you can imagine the first thing the cop sees. The two guns sitting on the dash. So his first question was, "Are those guns loaded?" We then told him NO.
He then says "why not?". We told him they were but we unloaded. Some states it's illegal to have your gun loaded in a vehicle. (Our neighbor CA).
He then tells us to keep them loaded. "There are a bunch of crazy people out here". Now mind you I've never met a crazy person around there, at least that I felt threatened by, but we followed his instruction and loaded up. It sure felt wierd loading up the guns while he was writing my buddy his speeding ticket. Lol. I was thinking he might go Barney Fife on us as we loaded.
Ever since its been loaded and sitting in plain sight. Whether on my side or on the dash. Unfortunately my Blackhawks gone but now I've got the XD9. Wanting my 44 back though. :(

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20111228_232227.jpg

Taurus Judge Public Defender
.45 Long Colt
.410 Winchester PDX Defense Loads (Pictured and broken open to show 3 copper discs and 12 copper BBs (bird shot))

Also can shoot 00 Buck, 9 shot, slugs....etc..

lakedweller

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2012
West Mitten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I had one the time I was confronted by a hunter with a compound bow and a video camera. turns out he was a 1/4 mile outside of his hunting fields on private property where I had permssion to be. The hunter stalked myself and two daughters and threatened to detain us When I told him I had permission to walk the property, he fiinally dropped his bow and stopped taping. Didn't apologize for terrorizing us neither. Nice way to represent hunters... buddy.....

idig2

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2013
Ohio, Florida
Detector(s) used
Titan 9000, MPX Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking into getting my first firearm.... Was looking at a Ruger.... Any recommendations??

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I detest Ruger semiautomatic handguns.

Rifles are fine, same as revolvers. If you are looking into a pistol however, I would recommend you look elsewhere.

Google/Youtube are your friends here.

WM

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I come from a Ruger family,and own just about every caliber they have ever made in the M77 rifle....the new ones SUCK.I make my living with my guns,and the Ruger Semi Auto SR40 AND THE P94,have never failed me....I cant say that for Glock!!

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Yeah.. I like them Ruger.. and Smith & Wesson.. and them Colts.. well, you get the idea.
I have had some of the best auto handguns... and i love to shoot them! But I don't own one anymore.

I guess , I'm just Old School... my first choice is the "wheel guns". I just love to see that cylinder rotate and hear that revolver go..
"click".. "click".. CLICK"! And I love to hear them big dogs bark.. .44 Magnum.. .454 Casull.. .460 S&W.. .500 Magnum...
Yeah, when you fire a short bar revolver in a big caliber.. you have recoil that most just would not understand!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread