Who here goes armed whenever they are out in the field prospecting or detecting?

I see for the most part people are carrying but there are a few that seem to think it ridiculous.......I have to ask....and I know nothing numismatic is worth dieing for but,I spend a lot of time in very rural areas and usually looking for gold.Now........one would be amazed at where people just appear...even though they are not supposed to be there...they are,and they generally approach you.I have to say,never have these sorts been the type I would likely have over for Christmas dinner and usually seem to be in pairs.Now....with gold prices the way they are,and folks aware of this and many very desperate ....usually for their next Meth high,what would you do when you were confronted,and happened to have a pocket of nuggets and a $1000+ detector?I know my answer....I am not a sheep though
It may be that some would rather die then spend time in prison for defending themselves, and possibly for religious belief that "thou shalt not kill".

Last edited:
I know many people who don't carry a firearm... and several who don't own them... and yes, some who have never fired any type firearm... And we all know people who don't drive and never have.
But, isn't it great we live in a country where we have the "Choice"!!
If anyone makes the choice not to own or carry a firearm, I can find no fault for their personal decision...
just as I wouldn't want anyone to tell me I shouldn't own or carry a firearm!

I would recommend to anyone who has never owned a handgun to start with a revolver due to the simplicity. And a revolver is very reliable as a personal protection handgun. Unless you are experienced using handguns, I wouldn't consider starting with a semi-automatic pistol.

Safety is the number one priority and goes hand-in-hand with training!

It may be that some would rather die then spend time in prison for defending themselves, and possibly for religious belief that "thou shalt not kill".
It is not illegal to defend yourself with a firearm in most states. The exceptions are war zones such as Chicago or DC.

The Christian religion does not prohibit killing someone in defense of life or property. The Hebrew word "kill" used in the ten commandments which you quoted, properly translated means "murder".

If held in a menacing way, I could probably scare someone off with my Lesche digging tool. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
If held in a menacing way, I could probably scare someone off with my Lesche digging tool.

That assumes that the person is sane enough to be afraid.

When they are not afraid of death or injury, your only option is to stop them physically. Meth and crack can certainly make people invincible.

WM

That assumes that the person is sane enough to be afraid.

When they are not afraid of death or injury, your only option is to stop them physically. Meth and crack can certainly make people invincible.

WM

Well sort of, in their own minds.:rolleyes::censored:

I guess you have never been in a compromising situation where it was life or death and what a helpless feeling it is to not be able to defend yourself?Ihave,and have been able to to defend my self with a gun...didnt kill anybody,but averted being killed myself...sure is a great feeling to be able to what ya have to do,if ya have to!!!

Last edited:
I bought a NAA mini master a few years ago for when i wanted to go hiking and carry a gun but not carry a gun. And its debatable that it is a gun, lol.
Weighs less than a can of coke. Just have to watch that you dont accidentally conceal it. Broad side of a barn gun but barks in 22mag

I guess you have never been in a compromising situation where it was life or death and what a helpless feeling it is to not be able to defend yourself?Ihave,and have been able to to defend my self with a gun...didnt kill anybody,but averted being killed myself...sure is a great feeling to be able to what ya have to do,if ya have to!!!
Actually, no I haven't. I try not to put myself in those kind of situations...but I am not against defending one's self, you asked, and I made a general statement.

I always carry a rifle or a shot gun behind the seat of my truck. Right now I have both, Rem. 11-87, 12 Ga., Ruger 10-22.

I have captive Pheasants and Deer that need to be protected, and it pays to be prepared.

Actually, no I haven't. I try not to put myself in those kind of situations...but I am not against defending one's self, you asked, and I made a general statement.

So by detecting or just being in the woods is putting myself in the bad situation?Is that like blaming the girl for getting raped?I am not following you here,bad guys only hang out in certain places?

You really don't know when real trouble will come your way or from what direction it will come from!

This 24 year old girl was killed by a two-legged predator. She was hiking on Blood Mountain, Georgia.
The same guy was also thought to have killed a older couple in the National Forest in North Carolina.
I've hunted both areas in years past.

Meredith Emerson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back before it became necessary to be armed I was accosted by two thugs after the girl I was with. They thought they could
bring me down by punching and kicking. I grabbed one and kept him in front of the other one while punching him in the face.
The punchee lost interest in a hurry and they took off.

Fast forward 50 years, never mess with an old guy. They don't want to fight you, they want to kill you and get it over with.

So by detecting or just being in the woods is putting myself in the bad situation?Is that like blaming the girl for getting raped?I am not following you here,bad guys only hang out in certain places?
In most cases.
I will add again that I'm not against carrying for self-defense, It is a matter of personal choice.

Last edited:
I also believe that the chances of someone being shot by accident are significant. Much greater possibly, than the need to fire a weapon for personal protection. Just my opinion.

I may or not be carrying,odds are i am.
I have a hard time accepting accidental discharge of a firearm. Have seen malfunction causing a round to be fired when cycling action but consider it deliberate just the same. Also with hangfires. The weapon is not the controller. Guess if i shot someone i could claim an accident?.

I think the truth is, many people don't want to believe that "life or death" can come their way? It's always someone else that's on the news. But you got to wonder if the people in the news thought the same way.. until danger came their way?

I lost my virginity(no, not that kind) at the age of 20. Before then I always thought people killing other people was in the movies,
in my mind it wasn't really real. How could another human being do that? This wasn't even thought about growing up, our guns were toy cap guns!

Stop and think for a minute. To face someone who has a weapon and knowing that their intent is to kill you... you just crossed the line in a totally different world! All your prior thinking doesn't apply. You just reached one of the highest possible emotions on the scale... the only one that I can think of that would be higher... is not being able to stop your own death!

I also believe that the chances of someone being shot by accident are significant. Much greater possibly, than the need to fire a weapon for personal protection. Just my opinion.

....you obviously have not been around firearms........I am 8th+Generation gun owner,and nobody in my family has ever been even wounded by mistake....or anybody I know.A car can roll over you sitting in the drive way.....

I think the truth is, many people don't want to believe that "life or death" can come their way? It's always someone else that's on the news. But you got to wonder if the people in the news thought the same way.. until danger came their way?

I lost my virginity(no, not that kind) at the age of 20. Before then I always thought people killing other people was in the movies,
in my mind it wasn't really real. How could another human being do that? This wasn't even thought about growing up, our guns were toy cap guns!

Stop and think for a minute. To face someone who has a weapon and knowing that their intent is to kill you... you just crossed the line in a totally different world! All your prior thinking doesn't apply. You just reached one of the highest possible emotions on the scale... the only one that I can think of that would be higher... is not being able to stop your own death!

x10!!!!!!
Colt,made all men equal,and a guns existence in a situation can be an instant "respect",gainer

....you obviously have not been around firearms........I am 8th+Generation gun owner,and nobody in my family has ever been even wounded by mistake....or anybody I know.A car can roll over you sitting in the drive way.....
I do own several rifles, shotguns and black powder rifles, and have been shooting and hunting since I was twelve. I'm writing regarding instances of "shooting the mailman", or accidental shootings of friends or family members, especially during home invasions. I know that it's not common, but it does happen. Anyhow, I'm getting a bit off-topic here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back