Who here pays a fee to get boxes?

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering who all on here pays a fee to order boxes, and how much you pay or would be willing to pay.

I always said I would never pay a fee, but I have not been able to locate a bank that is willing to order coin for me. I can usually get enough cwr dimes to keep me going, but nobody will order halves. I may have found a bank willing to do it for $.08 per roll. Would you pay if it was the only way to get them?

Upvote 0

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
I myself will not pay any kind of fee period. I hate to say it but I would hang it up first. Good Luck.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the boxes regularly produced enough silver to justify the fees, I would pay them if there was no other way to get the boxes.

At $4 per box, you'll have to average over 1 40%er per box just to break even from the fees alone, not to mention gas and other expenses. Many of us would come out better financially by just putting that $4 per box into buying the silver outright.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No way would I ever pay a fee. I think I lose money as it is, with gas and my time. When they hit me with F bomb, I walk out.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 2 banks near me who will order them for me for about $4/box. It is a different carrier that I have never searched. I am really tempted to buy some because I am almost sure I will make a good profit, even with the fees. I think I will try to buy from other branches of the same bank first, and see if I can trade boxes for donuts or chocolate or something a little cheaper.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
*I* wouldn't pay a fee, but in my case there are more than enough banks in the area that I can't imagine it will come to that.

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id be willing to pay $4 a box, Im guessing if you are paying you could get more then 2 boxes per week and as long as your dumps are still free it could work out.

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
They charge a fee to me and I take a giant clad dump on their counter!!!!!

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I as well would never pay a fee, especially since I do mostly cents. I would lost money for sure. I don't pay for coin star either.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a bank try to charge me fees. Guess who gets to count $500 nickels at a time.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MrSchulz said:
Had a bank try to charge me fees. Guess who gets to count $500 nickels at a time.

Lol. That's a lot of nickels. My dump bank coin counter holds $200 in nickels. 2 or 3 bag changes. They would be flipping.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol. That's a lot of nickels. My dump bank coin counter holds $200 in nickels. 2 or 3 bag changes. They would be flipping.

They were flipping. They were extremely rude to me one day, so I had 200.00 in pennies, i went in and dumped it on them. The next day I waited for the same teller that was rude to me, and came in with bags just filled with nickels and pennies. I think I dumped around $500 in nickels, and around $100 in pennies. Plus about $30 in loose change. So many bag changes. Her facial expression wasn't very good after she saw what I was bringing in.

OP
OP
coincrawlin

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I think I will check out their branches next weekend and see what they say. Closest branch is 30 minutes away, so I'd already be in the hole on gas unless I can combine the trip with other things I need to get done.

Was also curious if anybody orders from Chase. I notice they have several branches within an hour of me, so I may hit them up as well.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
You may want to take the bank up on the $0.08/roll offer. At least they will start the supply moving your way. I am thinking that by order #2 or #3 you might be able to make a couple friends at the bank and sweet talk em in to letting you order for free from then on. If you really want to do some halves, it is not a bad way to start. HH! - Jonathan

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't pay a fee either. It's too likely to get skunked with halves, and then you'd be out not just on gas and the time to sort and return them, but $4 to boot.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Coincrawlin,

When I was in Louisiana, Chase would order boxes for me, and I didn't even have an account....

I think it depends on your region.

HH

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never paid a fee. But if i had to i would. I think when the day comes when every one has to pay a fee most of you guys will stop and i will do more and all the silver will be there for the ones that are willing to pay the fees. Plus the price will be higher so who cares the higher silver price will cover the fee!!??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread