RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Why can't I find an arrowhead?

Why can't I find an arrowhead? Is there some giant flintknapper conspiracy going on? Knap it, bury it, find it, yippee! Some of my earliest memories are finding treasure. I have found just about everything (including stone tools while detecting) but never an arrowhead. And it's not for lack of trying. Research till cross-eyed, drive for miles, hunt until neck goes numb, searching for hours, years, wife and I both, coming up with not so much as a flake of anything resembling an arrowhead. Watched the videos, bought the books, found fossils, bottles, coins, jewelry, you name it all while trying to find one arrowhead. Searched east Texas (Trinity/Buffalo/Indian Shores!), central Texas (San Marcos/Blanco/Austin Etc), north Texas (Brazos River/Benbrook/Village Creek!), south Texas (South Padre), west Texas (Eagle Pass/El Indo along the Rio Grande/Garner/Frio), and dozens of places more over 40 years. Last weekend searched the Nolan River near Lake Whitney and the usual nada.Considering dropping arrowhead hunting for unicorn hunting or something with a remote chance of success. Any words of wisdom, sage advice, tips, pointers, locations south or west of Fort Worth appreciated. Even an extremely specific location related to the giant flintknapper conspiracy would do!

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all you gotta walk over one. If there are none under your feet, you aren't going to find it. Just keep lookin' down and it's bound to happen. Try after a good rain in a freshly plowed field that has been known to show flakes.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it's not due to lack of effort .....unfortunately I'm on the east coast so I'm not gonna be much help but I would say it's all about having the right spot.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
settle down there skippy!
relax, half the fun is looking. Enjoy being out, let the arrowheads happen on the journey. (and they will happen) ((trust me I'm a doctor))

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Almost totally agree, half the fun is in the looking, but I am long past starting to feel guilty for having too much fun! Been to lots of beautiful places and had lots of unexpected encounters that can only be had while out and about. As of late it has become an obsession. It doesn't help to see a guy pulling a nice arrowhead from under a bridge in a totally built up part of the city that I searched 30 years ago before there was even a plan for a road. Bigfoot and unicorns I tell ya.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you look too hard, drink more beer while out walking

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RW you are in a good area, try checking out some of the paid digs or look N. of Dallas or find a land owner that has a creek that runs through his land and ask permission to hunt and maybe dig. Look in small ravens that have a washed out bottom, cow trails an so forth. You have a lot of other hunters in your neck of the woods, but don't give up it will happen, the odds are on your side:thumbsup:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in Columbus Ohio. My uncle has found enough Indians stuff that he has stuff in museums. He used to take me and walk behind me and find them and I never found one. I went several times it just wasn't meant to be. I feel your pain.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are not too easy to see, h 002 01.jpg

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Google satellite search your area along rivers. Look for clusters of bright green oak trees. Chances are they are descendants of older ones. Natives liked nice, shaded area's near fresh water more than we appreciate today. Look for odd depressions & probe the ground or metal detect. If your more comfortable with surface finds then all I can suggest is more walking & looking down in different areas. Most of everything old & lost is buried. Hopefully you find your settlement with an arrowhead included.

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Also, get an idea of the predominant materials used down there, and concentrate on finding the material. Most arrowheads aren't laying out fully exposed on the surface. Often, just a small portion is visible, so when I'm field hunting, I pop about every piece if suitable material out of the ground I see, and every now and then a hidden treasure comes up. Make sure you have something to pry with long enough you don't have to bend over for everything you see.

Good Luck!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, get an idea of the predominant materials used down there, and concentrate on finding the material. Most arrowheads aren't laying out fully exposed on the surface. Often, just a small portion is visible, so when I'm field hunting, I pop about every piece if suitable material out of the ground I see, and every now and then a hidden treasure comes up. Make sure you have something to pry with long enough you don't have to bend over for everything you see.

Good Luck!

Bingo! Look for material rather than shape and look for worked portions of a point rather than the entire point. If you can find areas that were once covered with water, you may find points laying on the surface. Where I am, they lower some of the lakes in the winter to help control seaweed (ineffective, IMHO) and as the water goes down, it takes some of the top soil with it, leaving exposed gravel and hopefully, exposed points. Don't give up. It seems that once you spot one, they become easier to see.
HH

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave the metal detector at home.waterways are the key.Find the flakes....I've had friends find them on their first time out....at least where you are you have fields...mjm

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Them Texas boys dig some many feet down. Cant dig here and I have never dug so I cant tell you how to do it.

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I can almost always spot the arrowhead in one of those matrix in-situ photos, usually jumps right out at me even if just an edge. Found a pay to dig place a couple hours away, might give them a call and try to go tomorrow to possibly break the spell. Thanks for all of the advice from everyone who replied. At least a few places I have been nearby need a closer look in slightly different areas.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can almost always spot the arrowhead in one of those matrix in-situ photos, usually jumps right out at me even if just an edge. Found a pay to dig place a couple hours away, might give them a call and try to go tomorrow to possibly break the spell. Thanks for all of the advice from everyone who replied. At least a few places I have been nearby need a closer look in slightly different areas.

It is different when you see a pic on the site with just a section and the artifact in the pic. If you are out looking yourself and see a massive gravel bar it is easy to walk past them unless you know the color you are looking for. Many colors of rocks here so it is tough to walk rite up to one. Takes me a hour to walk a big gravel bar and I probably still miss a few. Good luck

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relax & let the universe work with you & not against you. Pretty soon they will be jumping into your pockets.

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My wife and I spent 6 hours on a gravel bar last weekend. Deep walled (looked there too) rocky tributary to a larger river that hits the Brazos a mile or so down. Basically where 3 waterways meet, very hilly (Hill County lol), cliffs, overhangs, rocks, mud, erosion and plenty of year round water sources. Took us about 6 hours to scan a half mile creek, gravel, walls in both directions. Hands and knees looking for and finding anything out of place, just no arrowhead fragments. Hoping the pay to dig place is open tomorrow, if not then will probably resort to looking for lonely river crossings towards the west.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have same Problem.
I spent 2 Years detecting an Indian Camp Site.
while I was pulling Rings, coins & other jewelry, etc.
a self described archaeologist was walking around the same spot,
picking up indian artifacts , My eyes never saw :dontknow:
at least not till they were in his hand and held out for me to look at.
even if they were lying at my feet 3 seconds before,
arrowheads blend in for me.

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have same Problem.
I spent 2 Years detecting an Indian Camp Site.
while I was pulling Rings, coins & other jewelry, etc.
a self described archaeologist was walking around the same spot,
picking up indian artifacts , My eyes never saw :dontknow:
at least not till they were in his hand and held out for me to look at.
even if they were lying at my feet 3 seconds before,
arrowheads blend in for me.

That totally supports the conspiracy I am talking about. Dang dirty knappers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread