Why ? do so many relic hunters wear cammo.....

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....I try not to for the simple fact that when looky lou's see you all camoed out your detector automatically becomes a gun,and you are poaching!

I'll wear camo when I'm out in the woods because I don't mind getting it ripped up, dirty, and I've got plenty of it. I prefer to look professional when I'm meeting with property owners or when I'm in the eyes of the general public.

Although some do it well, I am not one of those guys who looks good in hot pink.

I was wondering awhile back ,why ? do many relic hunters wear cammo ;including myself. For me & some I give the many pockets for the reason.but many look as if they are going in to jungle war.just curious ,Besides it can be very dangerous in game hunting season . Davers :icon_scratch:

I figure that detecting is already such an anomoly that draws the stares of the curious busy-bodies. An oddity where people stop to ask themselves "gee, what's that man with the geigor-counter-thingy doing over there?" Which then leads to "gee I wonder if he's going to leave holes" or "gee I wonder if he's supposed to be doing that here?" and so forth. So I figure the less lookie-lous and busy-bodies, the better.

I don't wear "cammo", but I do find myself tending to prefer dark and drab "blend in" colors. You know, like how rain coats are typically yellow, right? But I've got a forest-green one (for it ever rains), so that I don't stick out like a sore-thumb. Same for just general pants, shirt, coat, etc....

pockets comfort durability

I must be weird. Realtree is expensive stuff and I do not want to wear out my hunting clothes out metal detecting so I will not wear them. I prefer clothes like when I am hiking but blend in some. I wear an orange patch during turkey season though. That is the most dangerous time out here.

Good topic! I learned a long time ago that standing out in a crowd is not always a good thing! If I can go unnoticed by 99 of 100 people that pass- only have a 1 in 100 chance that the one that just saw me was a fellow detectorist as well -and just found my no longer secret spot...

I go with drab, tans, and greens rather than full blown camo.

Also, I think that All of the hobby of detecting and relicing and bottle dump digging should be classified as a REDNECK activily and officially designated, as such- camo would then be considered uniform and appropriate dress...

PEACE

I'd have to disagree with you. This hobby is most certainly not a redneck activity, the common perception of rednecks is dumb and liking instantly gratifying activities. This hobby I find requires persistence and smarts.

Are you a redneck then? "peace dog"

Some of us just stand out in a crowd without the need for cammies, mostly Marines (sorry, couldn't resist). I don't need a jacket full of patches or medals or cammies. I just wear my Marine Corps Cammo cover. A quiet yet profound statement. I will say though, the military, ripstop cotton clothing, camo or otherwise, is comfortable and dries quickly. TTC

Some of us just stand out in a crowd without the need for cammies, mostly Marines (sorry, couldn't resist). I don't need a jacket full of patches or medals or cammies. I just wear my Marine Corps Cammo cover. A quiet yet profound statement. I will say though, the military, ripstop cotton clothing, camo or otherwise, is comfortable and dries quickly. TTC

Cause you are squared away sir. I have clothes for specific activities. Good pair of camo pants with rip stop and stuff can run 60 bucks throw in a good camo scent free shirt you are looking at a 100 bucks.And you have to have a couple sets for multiple days out to keep scent down. Plus my hunting boots are not made for shovels so I just use lacrosse burlys this time of year. When I hunt I do not want to even brush against a bush with them. Not saying I dont come out all bloody and sweaty and covered in cow poo sometimes but between that ,lol you kinda slip around. Now metal detecting knees are worn out I tear off belt loops and rip thru saw briars in a heart beat.I come walking out looking like a wild man. :laughing7:

I have black BDU pants for "out of the public eye digs" I find that they give me ample room to move, and the pockets help.

Not every time, but I wear camo pants because of the durability against branches, prickers, etc. It hides dirt and mud really well and the pockets are always handy. (I love mud- it's where I find most of my rings for some reason!) I have combat boots too along with regular hiking boots because they're waterproof for the most part and good traction. I get lucky sometimes and find military clothing close to my size at the thrift stores. We have a few discount stores up here that have been carrying military boots brand new for $20-$60 bucks. If I accidentally destroyed a pair, I remove the pockets and use them to make a waist pouch like a fanny pack. I like to sew by hand while watching tv.
I dont know if this is helpful but I have a pair of snow pants I grabbed for a few bucks at the thrift. I tore out the interior, leaving just the outside snowproof lining. I keep them in my pack and pull them on over my jeans if I dont want to get all wet and muddy.

(Oh, I do wear my hunting orange regardless of the rest of my detecting attire!)

Last edited:
To blend in with the environment, now you see me now you don't lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back