"Why do these quarters sound so funny?".....

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
"Why do these quarters sound so funny?".....

A girl that i know, not very well, but know her nonetheless, had a small stack of quarters, and was complaining that someone gave them to her, and they were "fake". she would drop them from one hand to the other accordion style..."clink clink clink clink"...she would then complain that they sounded really funny, so they were fake. other people around us agreed, that they were abnormal. unfortunately i only had a dollar on me, so i offered her a dollar for one of the quarters...she then takes the dollar and says i can have all of them, since she doesnt care, because they were fake...i didnt protest the matter :laughing7: .....i received 5 silver washington quarters, $1.25 face value, for $1.00 :o
1 x 1944~
1 x 1946~
1 x 1947~
1 x 1950-D
1 x 1963~

nice conclusion to the matter...she was happy cuz she got rid of her "fake" quarters, and i was happy to get them ;D

keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

Upvote 0

silverfinder20

Apr 28, 2011
orlando
Re: "Why do these quarters sound so funny?".....

good job. People who are ignorant like that don't deserve those coins. Im glad they ended up in good hands. :icon_thumright:

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali

real quarters are fake.

keep it up and HaHa!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

at least get 25 more cents to make it a "even" swap :wink: it's the least you can do for her. :wink:

YOU CAN NOT FIX "STUPID" --HOWEVER THEY DO NEED FIXING (SO AS NOT TO BREED)

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So, you KNEW they were silver and gave her (less than) face value all the while pretending NOT to know? Wow.
And you're bragging about it. Double wow.

WWRD? (What Would Rich Do?)

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ivan salis said:
at least get 25 more cents to make it a "even" swap :wink: it's the least you can do for her. :wink:

YOU CAN NOT FIX "STUPID" --HOWEVER THEY DO NEED FIXING (SO AS NOT TO BREED)

LOL

Attachments

• 416415786v2_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg
    416415786v2_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 5,307

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

to be "fair" at least give her "face" value for the coins * -- even swap is "fair" --she did not want em --you did --fair one for one swap

to take advantage of a really stupid person * by not at least giving one for one --is like giving a blind person change for a $1 when they handed you a $20 --it will cause you "bad karma" --now 1 for 1 is a even swap money for money wize . and as such you are no ripping them off.

the fact you know that they are silver coins is to your advantage -- if they wanted "rid of them" and you helped fill their desire at one for one swap--fair enough --but for less than "face" is a bit unfair --do the "right thing" and pony up the extra quarter next time you see her.--

IT IS MORALLY WRONG OF SMART PEOPLE TO LET STUPID PEOPLE KEEP MONEY * SINCE THEY WILL USE IT FOR FOOD AND SHELTER --THUS BREEDING EVEN MORE STUPID PEOPLE AND WATERING DOWN THE GENE POOL IN THE PROCESS ( NOTE DUMB FOLKS TEND TO BREED RAPIDLY )

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hahaha i though coin roll hunting was all about getting silver for FACE VALUE but to get it for LESS than FV? lol thats an awesome score!!
way to go!!

and to all the people here who say it' not honest / not fair blah blah blah. the girl didn't even want it. she'd end up buying a soda with it, or worse, throwing it in the garbage. if you both agreed on the trade, it's all good. you're both happy (though you must be happiER lol)

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Must be the day to get free silver from the stupid...

I tried one of my unusual approaches to acquire coins(b4somebody says anything, I was not panhandling) and I had a lady give me a handful of coins including a bunch of wheatbacks, a steel penny and two mercury dimes!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GopherDaGold said:
So, you KNEW they were silver and gave her (less than) face value all the while pretending NOT to know? Wow.

Ah, the age old argument gets cranked up again. Feel free to dig through the old threads as during the 18 or so months that I have been posting on here it has been debated several times. Is it wrong to buy something (anything) from someone for less than what the said item is worth? This question really has no "correct" answer as its all a matter of opinion. I am of the opinion that its the sellers' obligation to know what things are worth and price them accordingly. In my opinion, the only thing the OP did wrong was to not find out where the "fake" quarters came from so he could possibly go get more of them. Sounds like a solid roll of silver quarters got opened out there somewhere.

For those of you that disagree, then in my opinion you cannot purchase anything anywhere for less than an item is worth. If you spot a silver coin in a teller's tray, you cannot buy it for face value. According to your logic you'd be ripping off the bank and/or the teller. You must pay what it is worth. If you order a box of coins and find coins worth more than face value in that box, then you must return to the bank from which they were purchased and pay the bank what the coins were worth. If you go to a yard sale and see an item that you know you can resell for $25 but has a price tag of $5, then you cannot buy the item for $5 - you must pay $25. As I said, you cannot purchase anything anywhere - whether that is from an individual, yard sale, flea market, coin shop, auction, thrift store, Wal-Mart, Bubba's Used Tire barn, etc etc etc - for less than its true value.

I'm not saying that I am definitely right and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. It is an unprovable argument that comes down to opinion. In this case, those "fake" quarters would have just been spent for face value. I don't feel the OP did anything wrong whatsoever. Feel free to disagree.

HH! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

a quarter for a quarter is a "fair trade" with a idiot --if the tradee wants to trade that way * for a item of "absolute known" value --duh its a "quarter" --one quarter for one quarter is a fair exchange with dumb folks --if the tradee agrees to it ,---less than one for one is a bit well --not right --its like giving a blind man asking you to give him change for a soda machine for a $1 and when gives you a $20 bill by "mistake" -- you hand him 4 quarters * karma or fate will get ya for it , count on it.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Arkie beat me to it on this one. Every time one of these posts comes out the "karma police" step up to criticize and cast judgment.

In this case the girl wanted to get rid of the coins and in her mind the OP did her a favor. Actually from a "karma" perspective, this transaction would in a sense "balance out", because if the girl really believed the quarters were fake, in her mind she was taking advantage of the OP by selling them to him for a dollar, why else would she settle for less than face value if she thought the quarters were real? Thus, by her taking advantage of the OP (in her mind), she lost out on the silver score.

It would be different if the girl in this example was a truly mentally disabled individual, instead of just being the average American citizen who is clueless on the issue of silver and gold coinage/value.

Jim

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009

jim4silver said:
Arkie beat me to it on this one. Every time one of these posts comes out the "karma police" step up to criticize and cast judgment.

In this case the girl wanted to get rid of the coins and in her mind the OP did her a favor. Actually from a "karma" perspective, this transaction would in a sense "balance out", because if the girl really believed the quarters were fake, in her mind she was taking advantage of the OP by selling them to him for a dollar, why else would she settle for less than face value if she thought the quarters were real? Thus, by her taking advantage of the OP (in her mind), she lost out on the silver score.

It would be different if the girl in this example was a truly mentally disabled individual, instead of just being the average American citizen who is clueless on the issue of silver and gold coinage/value.

Jim

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.
Han Solo

Though you should've given her $1.25

OP
OP
CHAINCHOMP

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

incomenet said:
Read the OP he there was $1 ofered for one, Karma gave five. ;D

thank you so much for pointing that out! will you marry me? :laughing9: keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

GopherDaGold said:

for your information, i offered her $1 like incomenet said, and i asked for only 1, yes, 1 as in "one" of her "fake" quarters...she instead said she didnt mind, and said i could have all 5...i only had $1 on me, otherwise i would have insisted she take at least face value. but, since she was anxious to get rid of them, she was extremely happy to get a dollar for all of them, and she even asked me if i was serious, that i would pay a whole dollar for these "stupid" quarters. she was absolutely thrilled. and she is in fact a very smart woman, im not very surprised that she could tell the difference in sound between silver and clad, even though most normal Americans wouldnt be able to, because she is very bright. in addition to this, she wasnt gonna spend the "fake" quarters, cuz she thought they were fake...so she made $1 as far as she is concerned. the fact that they were "old" and from the 40's didnt influence her, because this was even pointed out to her by someone, and she just ignored the comment. so, GDG, if your gonna write back snippy comments, i urge you to at least read the post and comment accordingly. thank you. keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008

Chomp love yourposts
pls don't take this as an attack on you its an attack on the action:

Nope, still wrong, its theft. Silver value is not relevant but face value is.
Should have given her one of them back and said "hold onto this for good luck, you never know" or some other smoothage.
Taking $1.25 from someone for a dollar is wrong.

Its not "Karma" or other bong smoke detritus... its called behaving scrupulously.

byrne3

Mar 4, 2011

Way to go on the quarters.. You did nothing wrong ChainChomp. Keep it up and HH.. {R.I.P. Rich Hartford}

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee

I read and fully comprehended the original post. And I must also agree with incomenet, there was no intent to defraud or commit theft. The offer of $1 was made for 1 of the 5 quarters, and she chose to give him all 5 for that $1. She was happy to be rid of those "fake" quarters, and would likely have tossed the remaining quarter in the trash had Chainchomp not taken all of what she offered. It could not hurt to offer her another quarter next time, if it is convenient to do so. Regardless, I certainly do not feel that there was any theft or fraud intended here.

Bob

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010

Excellant score!! But you know you should always keep extra cash on you in case some silver shows up. HH

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You better go and see if she has any more fake coins.......Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread