wifes going to kill me!

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my kids and I headed up to a detecting store about a hour away from my house yesterday. Walked in just to check it out. I looked at a whites v3i and a etrac. I am currently using a mxt and had no intention to upgrade though it was tempting. Then we start talking about the excal ii. After hanging out for about a hour and half and as the store was closing on a whim I grabbed it. They gave me a sand scoop and I told them I wanted a hat for both my kids and I. I cant wait to try it out on land. I know it heavy and made for water but does anyone use it on land? Any tips or advice would be great!
My wife who currently works and is back in school for her master's just gave me a look when I got home! Lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bullshrink

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cant wait to try this out!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130526_065348.png
    ForumRunner_20130526_065348.png
    179.5 KB · Views: 194

I Dig Jesus

Feb 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster DB / Classic ID / M6 Matrix / & now The Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You my friend are a dead man, we will miss you! :sadsmiley: Dead man walking, bring out your dead!

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a chance she won't kill you but I'll bet you'll have to pay somehow.

SWMBO

Now, go out and find her something sparkly to change her mind.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use it on the land with no problem, I used mine on land for a long time before I bought a land detector. The ability to null on land is a nice feature if your running into a lot of nails and trash iron. YOu will know your over iron as it nulls, (loss of threshold).... I would make or get a straight shaft for it, the stock shaft will kill your forearm, or use a harness with bungie...

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both the Excalibur and the E-Trac - The Excalibur is terrible on land, it is great in the water! I have been hunting for 25 years and used many different machines. Stick with your land machine for land and take the Excalibur into the water, you will not be disapointed with the Minelab - Best machine out there for fresh water hunting in my opinion. Hope this helps, BTW - the water machines DO NOT detect as deep as the land machines.
DW

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice! How much if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my kids and I headed up to a detecting store about a hour away from my house yesterday. Walked in just to check it out. I looked at a whites v3i and a etrac. I am currently using a mxt and had no intention to upgrade though it was tempting. Then we start talking about the excal ii. After hanging out for about a hour and half and as the store was closing on a whim I grabbed it. They gave me a sand scoop and I told them I wanted a hat for both my kids and I. I cant wait to try it out on land. I know it heavy and made for water but does anyone use it on land? Any tips or advice would be great!
My wife who currently works and is back in school for her master's just gave me a look when I got home! Lol

A look or THE LOOK? A look might not be fatal but if she put her head down slightly and bored laser holes through you, it might be a problem. Good luck to you.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Unless she looked like this your probably safe!
images

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both the Excalibur and the E-Trac - The Excalibur is terrible on land, it is great in the water! I have been hunting for 25 years and used many different machines. Stick with your land machine for land and take the Excalibur into the water, you will not be disapointed with the Minelab - Best machine out there for fresh water hunting in my opinion. Hope this helps, BTW - the water machines DO NOT detect as deep as the land machines.
DW
Hey Darrin, Welcome aboard! I didn't see you sneak in. I agree to a point on your assessment of the Excalibur. I don't know if I would say it's "terrible" on land but there are definitely better machines for that purpose. The main drawbacks I find are lack of a depth meter and sketchy target I.D. The weight can be handled with a sling. As for you, bullshrink, I agree with onadraw, go out and find some nice bling (right away!) and those looks will change from daggers to hearts. Hit the beach after this weekend. There should be lots of goodies lost.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I bought my V3i at the beginning of May I made sure to get her a nice ring from the jewelry store at the same time. It made things much smoother.

OP
OP
bullshrink

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far so good. Not as much fallout as I expected. Should have got the ctx 3030.lol. it has been colder and raining all week here in Massachusetts so without a wet suit swimming is out of the question. I will be in Martha's vineyard in about 3 weeks and have seen only one person detecting. I cant friggan wait! Been watching tons of YouTube vids of people using the excalibur ii which psychs me up more. I did do test in my garden with a quarter and penny against my mxt. When at around 8 in the quarter was picked up by both. The penny that deep was a threshold change for the mxt and the excal picked it up no problem. It was a unofficial 8in so it coukd have been deeper. I did get a rusty ring in a cornfield yesterday with the mxt that could have been around12+in . Could not believe how deep it was. Cant wait!!!

ks_hunter

Feb 24, 2008
Wichita, KS Area
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Tesoro Tejon & 2 Banditos, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do what I do when I impulse buy a firearm.. I wait until the "financial advisor" aka the wife is asleep or not at home and just add the newly purchased item to the safe and she has no clue....lol. I also have to intercept a package of a new AT Pro that will hopefully arrive this week.. :headbang: That's how I avoid the dreaded Stink Eye..

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do what I do when I impulse buy a firearm.. I wait until the "financial advisor" aka the wife is asleep or not at home and just add the newly purchased item to the safe and she has no clue....lol. I also have to intercept a package of a new AT Pro that will hopefully arrive this week.. :headbang: That's how I avoid the dreaded Stink Eye..

Haha. Package intercept. Can sometimes be tricky.

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey! put your foot down now! Should of bought the CTX! Intercept, get it dirty and say you've had it a long time and wanted to try it one more time, before discussing w/ her on a new one. Everyone feels good! and that's all that's important! ;-)
Shep

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a chance she won't kill you but I'll bet you'll have to pay somehow.

SWMBO

Now, go out and find her something sparkly to change her mind.

Without a doubt! It'll be honey do's from hell for quite a good while. And you'll have to spend equal on her or it will get thrown in your face every other week or two! UNLESS you can carry her with you to beach for weekend excursions and she's ok with not having you undivided attention for several hours at a time! Good luck👍

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always get things I buy good and dirty before I bring anything home. Then I say oh! I have had this or that for ever just dug it out of the garage. She never questions that as she won't go near the garage! Hahahaha

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wait a minute here PhilBarnett, you posted just recently that your sweet wife told you it was OK for you to get a new detector, come on now come clean! Don't be leading bullshrink astray as he's already in lukewarm water. Both of you should go out and find something really nice for the for your better halves, I mean detecting of course!.....................63bkpkr

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Coming clean. Yes she did let me get a new detector and yes I sometimes buy things and get them dirty before she sees them. Guilty as charged and I have promised I would not pass up any chocolate diamond rings I found out hunting. You making me feel guilty now! I guess I better try to find enough coins to buy her that ring. Can't get away with nothing on this site!!!

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel bad! I actually hid a dirt bike and a Jon boat in my shop for a month one time before one of my kids happened to know where the key was and went in looking for a screwdriver. All this 2 days before I went on a cruise my wife had setup and paid for. Wow was in in deep you know what. It all worked out though we're still happily married today!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread