Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Worst Weather You've Detected?

What is the worst weather you have gone detecting? And were you just caught in it or purposely geared up and did it? And would you do it again??

Personally I hate rain and lightning. Hate wind a LOT but do have proper gear and eye protection for that. Water detecting is something I will not do. Detecting alone in remote areas is a bad idea although I have done it.

I always have a beverage, snacks and a book.
BB

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I was recently in Grand Cayman on a cruise. I had a friend picking me up to head out detecting. We detected several hours in torrential rains. Not sure if the pics do it justice!

Attachments

• GCwithChris5.jpg
    GCwithChris5.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 285

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worst weather was at the tail end of a northeaster,30 degrees with a 45 to 5o mile an hour wind,wind chill below o.It's been awhile since I did that again.:leprechaun-hat:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worst weather was at the tail end of a northeaster,30 degrees with a 45 to 5o mile an hour wind,wind chill below o.It's been awhile since I did that again.:leprechaun-hat:

:laughing9: leprechaun, that was funny. In NJ we call those a cool day with a breeze :tongue3:

Well it once rained here for 40 day & 40 nights.. Wait, that is another story :laughing7:

Can't say I actually leave the house to hunt during any bad weather

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't experienced my worst detecting weather yet. If we have lousy weather for this months beach trip, I am not staying in the camper listening to the rain hit the metal roof. That nearly drove us crazy one time. I have a new tigershark that has not been in the salt. This could be that worst that you speak of. We'll see!

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Oh man I can feel that. I've gone ice fishing in that kind of weather. Once! (My boss like ti ice fish!!)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detecting during a thunder storm. Hiding under a wooden "dune" bridge with lightning strikes less than 50 feet away! Yikes! Never again. TTC

diverdan

Jun 16, 2011
Ellenton, FL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was hit by a bad thunderstorm while detecting in the woods. They say don't stand under a tree but they were all around us.

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst for me was last july. It was 105 degrees and 75% humidity. I braugt a gallon of water with me and drank it the first hour. The second hour we left. It looked like we got caught in the rain but it hadn't rained for days.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just plain old rain.

Good thing about that rain storm was that it emptied the beach really quickly. People dropped/left behind lots of stuff. Rain lasted about 1/2 hour, then sun came out again. Few people returned and that made it very easy to MD. Lots of open sand.

Leprechaun...you must be in my neck of the woods. Sounds like a typical NH winter day....except not this past winter.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years back I was caught in a severe thunder storm while relic hunting in the woods , lightning popping off everywhere , tree limbs breaking off the trees , I was pretty scary to say the least finally made it back home safe and sound and soaking wet with Indain underwear to boot,

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One hunt in Germany myself and my hunting partner hunted in a sleet storm. We were iced over when we left.He said he has nerve damage in his fingers from that hunt. We were on a camp site so we could not stop.

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One hunt in Germany myself and my hunting partner hunted in a sleet storm. We were iced over when we left.He said he has nerve damage in his fingers from that hunt. We were on a camp site so we could not stop.

That's bad. No options but to make it back to camp or die. That's as bad as it gets. Glad you survived. :)

I got caught in a rain & snow storm on a bare mountain in shorts and a Tee shirt. Shelter was a mile or so downhill and I panicked. Started to run when a Boulder climber called out. He was in a natural snow cave, more of a snow bridge, over a small stream. Gave me his sweater and water. Sun came out a half hour later but I was a cold wet puppy. Learned a lesson that day.

Got lost on a Colorado flat-top during a bad snow storm. Low cloud cover obscured all the peaks and landmarks I counted on to get back. And I panicked again. Started running to find my tracks before the snow covered them up. Bad idea.

Fortunately I realized that was bad strategy, crawled under a huge Blue Spruce boughs, protected and comfortable. Had a candy bar and a smoke and thought it out.

I knew a Flat-top was just that. Flat with sides all around. All I had to do was walk to any edge then work my way down. It worked and I'm still here but I never hunted alone again. Period. Same with detecting in remote areas. Make sure someone can find you if necessary. I carry two-ways along now. And have overheard conversations from many States east of Colorado. Cloud caver or altitude? don't know.

Second worst hunting weather of any kind (ice fishing is Number One), with my boss again to Goose hunt in Northern Colorado in the winter in a 5' x 10' hole in the ground in the middle of a corn field and so cold and windy that you couldn't do any name-writing at all outside. When taking a leak it just froze.

Oh and naturally a Goose would show up while the only thing not in your hand is a gun. But I loved it! :)
BB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread