What's new

Would a metal detector be useful and what kind?

Nicola

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 6, 2012
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I am incredibly new to this. My hubby and I just bought several acres and it includes land along a river. I have always loved to look for arrowheads and the land we bought has hundreds and hundreds. My neighbors showed me what they found on our land before we bought it and they have probably about 500. So I wanted to see if a metal detector would find anything else and what kind you would recommend. I live on the Alabama/Tennessee line if that helps. I would like to use it on the bluff and along the river, maybe even in the shallow parts of the river.

Do you think a metal detector would be useful in this case and can you recommend a good one for a very new person like me? Thank you so much for reading, I really appreciate it : )
 
reply

Hi! I am incredibly new to this. My hubby and I just bought several acres and it includes land along a river. I have always loved to look for arrowheads and the land we bought has hundreds and hundreds. My neighbors showed me what they found on our land before we bought it and they have probably about 500. So I wanted to see if a metal detector would find anything else and what kind you would recommend. I live on the Alabama/Tennessee line if that helps. I would like to use it on the bluff and along the river, maybe even in the shallow parts of the river.

Do you think a metal detector would be useful in this case and can you recommend a good one for a very new person like me? Thank you so much for reading, I really appreciate it : )

No, metal detectors will not find anything more of the sort (arrowheads). Unless .... you're talking metal arrowheads? To my knowledge, the indians where you are had no refined metals, prior to the coming of the Europeans. So .... the only thing a detector would be good for there, is if you had other old things, like old homesteads, picnic areas, stage stops, camp grounds, or any other such historical (verses "pre" history) sites.
 
Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry I should have been more specific on that. Yes you are right, most of the things my neighbors have found are made of stone, but they have also found coins that they can't identify, buttons, a couple cannon balls, things like that. But the majority is Native American artifacts.
 
The metal detectors are good at finding coins and ......well any thing made of metal. It is just fun to find stuff, What you need is a detector like the Garrett Ace 250 or any of the others by only the major brands. I can't recommend Bounty Hunter that you find in big box stores as they don't last and you will soon be wanting to upgrade. The more you pay the more features you get. One of the most useful is Ground Balance which allows you to detect deeper. Check out the makers websites for Garrett, Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Minelab to learn about them. Bart of Big Boys Hobbies that advertises here can be a big help in helping you find the right detector for you. http://bigboyshobbies.net/ :icon_thumleft:


Happy Hunting, :hello:
Sandman
 
Last edited:
Useful? unless you lose keys or jewelry, probably not. Fun? Addictive? Absolutely! It's a lot better than doing chores or watching tv. I say find a used one & have fun.
 
Get the best detector you can afford. Of course it could be a top of the line ,at the time, used detector that is easy to use. I have owned several brands and have had the best results with Whites and Fishers detectors. I am still using a 10 Year old Whites XLT for general detecting. It is very easy to use with a select a program and go system. It has a visual indication of settings and finds and also an audio indication. You can find a good one for around $400. Check with the dealers here and on E Bay. There is also a for sale section here. Sounds like you got the bug, and the location to enjoy it. Good luck, Frank
 

Attachments

  • rose on ice 700 this one.webp
    rose on ice 700 this one.webp
    78.8 KB · Views: 182
if you are going to buy a metal detector dont go out and blow 1k-2k on a detector for your FIRST detector you might buy one and not even like detecting. but if you are able to spend that much on a high grade detector then go with one you feel comfortable with and do not give up on using it after you go out a few times and find nails pull tabs and old hunks of iron. you will need to know how to really understand your detector to find anything other then trash unless its a spot where no one has ever detected and then you might get lucky. but DIG EVERYTHING on your property not only does it give you the best chance of finding anything good and it also will make the quality of your ground better having all the junk and iron outta the ground.
 
If you want to hunt IN the water, there is the Garrett AT Pro, which is water proof. It is totally submersible...great for river hunting.
 
You've gotten some good advice already. I'd just like to add that I've always loved rock-hounding and finding neat stuff...I wish I had bought a metal detector years ago. Since you're already walking around slowly while looking down, why not swing a detector? And as a land-owner they really are an invaluable tool to ridding your property of junk.

peace,
cc

PS as to using in shallow water, most (even inexpensive models, but check the specs to confirm) are water-proof up to the control box (a few feet above the submersible coil) and would be adequate for searching along a river-bank as you describe...as long as don't outright dunk it!
 
Thank you so much for the replies, I am definitely going to get one now!
 
If you go new, you should seriously consider a machine designed for relic hunting. Or if you don't get a relic machine, keep the discrimination low. You can also find exceptionally good used machines (yard sales, auctions, and pawn shops are good local options) for a reasonable price.

The biggest thing is if you can visit a local detector shop, even if you have to drive a couple of hours, it's well worth the trip. You'll be able to try machines out and get advice related to where you live and the type of hunting you'll be doing. No local shop...then the supporting dealers here are wonderful.
 
I would make sure your machine has an "all metal" and a "variable discriminate" mode, these two features are found on most reasonably priced detectors, and they make your machine very versatile.

I would find someone that can show you their machine, and give you some hands on advice.

Good luck, and when you find something, be sure and post some pics.
 
Forget about all those settings! Get a top of the line"when it was new" detector like the Whites XLT used for about $400 and never look back. Whites has done the hard part for you. Just select what you want. Coins and jewelry, prospecting, etc. If you decide you want all those settings, well you can adjust jest about anything you want to in the advanced settings. The readout is a super advantage over Plain Jane detectors. Frank
 

Attachments

  • rose on ice 700 this one.webp
    rose on ice 700 this one.webp
    78.8 KB · Views: 166
on the river, near the tennessee/alabama line---should be some civil war relics around someplace, do some research of the local gaps, fords/ferrys and so on to see what you can find..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom