Yes!! My oldest American coin ever 1795!!!!!!!!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
I was at work today and got out alittle early. I was itching to get out and decided to hit an old house in my town that used to be a tavern. Suprisingly in about 7-9 trips over the past half a yr havent produced much. The only things i have found where a silver boy scout ring ands a 1903 baber dime. I decided to hit the side of the house today hard and very slow. I was there about a 1/2 hr and got a solid quarter hit. Although it was solid it wasnt a good "bang" sorta speak so i wasnt real excited. I dug down and check the plug and hit was in it. I started to cut into the plpug when a disk fell out of the top. I grab it and new it was a large coppa, at only 1 1/2 inches no less. Since it was all caked on with dirt i wasnt able to see anything. Into the pocket it goes till later i guess. But as the time went by i was getting more and more curious. When i reached into my pocket the date was rubbed off alittle and i saw the great 7 poppin out at me. Alittle more rubbin and i was able to see 1795. Now i was real excited hoping it was American. As i rubbed more and more away i saw Miss. Libertys cap behind her head. Boy was i stoked. Ive dug many drapped bust LC's, but never a Liberty Cap Large cent. This is now my oldest American coin to date.
Thanks for lookin
Keith

Attachments

• DSC01798.JPG
    DSC01798.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,990
  • DSC01799.JPG
    DSC01799.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 1,974
  • DSC01800.JPG
    DSC01800.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 2,008
  • DSC01801.JPG
    DSC01801.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,961
Upvote 0
Congrats on your first Liberty Cap Large Cent, those and Liberty Cap Half Cents are my favorite's to find of the early American coinage.

Don

Congrat's :thumbsup: Can't wait to break into the 1700's myself....Super find!!!!

I have done the same thing many times, dig a coin that you know is old, caked with dirt, you throw it in the pouch to clean later, only to go back in and start rubbing on the date. I have scratched a few decent coins doing the same. But in any case, congratulations on your awesome find! :thumbsup: You have set the bar pretty high now for yourself so to beat that 213 year old coin. :wink:

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

tymcmurray said:
She is a beauty!!!
Congratulations on a great find.
Can you still feel the rush?!

o yea the adrenaline is still pumpin

BeachBumm said:
I have done the same thing many times, dig a coin that you know is old, caked with dirt, you throw it in the pouch to clean later, only to go back in and start rubbing on the date. I have scratched a few decent coins doing the same. But in any case, congratulations on your awesome find! :thumbsup: You have set the bar pretty high now for yourself so to beat that 213 year old coin. :wink:

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

Actually this isnt my oldest coin ever. Its just my oldest American coin. My oldest coin ever is a 1724 Woods Hibernia Farthing. Im still pumped though. Theres something about American coins that mean that much more to me.

Dirt Dobber said:
Since you went big . Did you go home???? Super great find, congrads. D.D.

LOL i stayed for alittle but yea i left alilttle while later. It was way to hot. After i find a real nice find and its hot it seems to be much harder to stay out. LOL this is probably why i dont have many great finds in one day.

AWSOME!!!!!!!! That thing looks like it will clean up nice. I wanna see the finished product, as I'm sure everyone else does too!

hogge said:
AWSOME!!!!!!!! That thing looks like it will clean up nice. I wanna see the finished product, as I'm sure everyone else does too!

Looks like the front might, back... hmmm. I'm guessing a lot of these had a weakly struck reverse..

Nice Score...Is this Building abandoned? :icon_study: If so try underneath it, the floors at that time had serious gaps...I found a few that way. ;D

Congrats on the CH Large Cent...HH

hogge said:

You may think im crazy, but im going to leave it alone. As you can see i tried cleaning the back and that went to shit. Ive dug about 30 large coppers so far and ive tried every cleaning method under the sun, and for the most part ive found if its good enough to id and see some detail clearly, LEAVE IT ALONE. Ive ruined so many coppers by soemthing as simple as just soap and water. I see others that clean theres come out so nice, but i guess i must be doing somehtin wrong b/c it doesnt mater if its warm peroxide, water and brush, or electrolisis, all my cleanings come out worse then what i dug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back