yo anyone ever get a canadian silver half?

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baddbluff said:
I found a silver Canadian dime when I lived in Idaho. I love Canadian silver coins... The quarters are prob my favs. I'm putting together a nice foreign silver type set buying them @/under melt. Foreign silver tends to sell for a bit less than US silver coins.

Canadian silver coins have less silver than their American counterparts. Not for lack of purity but they are smaller.

I get lots of Canadian in Michigan. Lots of silver, too. Have not found a half dollar however.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Canadian silver coins have less silver than their American counterparts. Not for lack of purity but they are smaller.

I get lots of Canadian in Michigan. Lots of silver, too. Have not found a half dollar however.

The halves are 80%, so they are less pure too. (92.5% before 1920)

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
The halves are 80%, so they are less pure too. (92.5% before 1920)

Even the sterling have less silver than our 90% coins.

OP
OP
Eminem

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
man idc if they have 80% silver that just means you can buy more!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the ASW - actual silver Weigh - in Troy OZes of the Canadian coins all pan out even number.

a half dollar 80% = .300 OZT
dollar silver coin - .600 OZT
and excetterah.

I am admiring my latest ebay buy - $40 - a Proof like set in a capital plastics cointain 1964 canadian coin set. It has the silver dollar. Very neat. Positive energy, yes!

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
But silver is silver and living in michigan, we see a lot of canadian here. In most stores though anything over a quarter we won't take due to the currency exchange rate. I am wondering where do most people get the rolls of canooks? Unless you are living at the border or check out a big big bank, how would you get rolls of canook dimes and quarters?

Love the half dollar btw. That is totally sweet.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But silver is silver and living in michigan, we see a lot of canadian here. In most stores though anything over a quarter we won't take due to the currency exchange rate. I am wondering where do most people get the rolls of canooks? Unless you are living at the border or check out a big big bank, how would you get rolls of canook dimes and quarters?

Love the half dollar btw. That is totally sweet.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

The exchange rate is in Canada's favor. Their dollar is worth more than ours.

I get my canadian coins by asking. Every bank. Right after I clear them out of halfs.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinFetcher said:
The exchange rate is in Canada's favor. Their dollar is worth more than ours.

I get my canadian coins by asking. Every bank. Right after I clear them out of halfs.

I've been saving all Canadian coins just for the favorable exchange.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not looking forward to rolling all my crappy dimes, and quarters, and post 81 nickes, and post 97 pennies.

Someday, with a good movie, and some good medicine, and a handfull of paper rolls, I will get my canadian rolled. I always say to the teller I am going to whistler! haha, I want to, but we'll see.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinFetcher said:
I am not looking forward to rolling all my crappy dimes, and quarters, and post 81 nickes, and post 97 pennies.

Someday, with a good movie, and some good medicine, and a handfull of paper rolls, I will get my canadian rolled. I always say to the teller I am going to whistler! haha, I want to, but we'll see.

Haha! For now mine are going into a jug!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have them partially sorted.

I stopped buying loonies and toonies though - to find a 999 fine toonie would be nice, but they only made...like 2000 of them?

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinFetcher said:
I have them partially sorted.

I stopped buying loonies and toonies though - to find a 999 fine toonie would be nice, but they only made...like 2000 of them?

That would be nice! I fund a 1996 Toonie in my drawer from my fly-in fishing days.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found 1, it was a 62 or 63, can't recall, but same look as the picture posted with the queen on the obverse and the coat of arms on the reverse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions