What's new

$1 gold piece - Updated now with the "after" pix.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
14,018
Reaction score
10,343
Golden Thread
2
Location
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
$1 gold piece - Updated now with the "after" pix.

Got this love-token $1 gold piece on a beach in central CA today. The zone where this came from produces coins back to seateds, barbers, etc... when it erodes. Even Spanish reales at times have come from here :headbang: There's a beach cut that's going on 2 months old at this location, that ....... every few week's ..... mother nature readjusts the sand back and forth here, revealing a few more zones each time.

This is my 12th gold coin (not counting jewelry) and my second of the $1 denomination size. Even though this was technically made into jewelry, I'm counting it in my coin's count, d/t the phenomenom of love tokens seems to be strictly a mid 1800s thing. Ie.: you never see love tokens done on coins past seateds, if I'm not mistaken. And also because the stretch of beach is known for coins of the era means it's not a modern loss. Other targets this morning were a 1900 barber dime, another as-yet unknown silver coin, a few wheaties, skeleton key, suspender clip, etc.....
 

Attachments

  • gold coins 005.webp
    gold coins 005.webp
    127.2 KB · Views: 4,914
  • gold coins 007.webp
    gold coins 007.webp
    128.7 KB · Views: 4,851
Upvote 0
Re: $1 gold piece

Wow, thats a beauty! Looks like the initials read USN to me. VERY cool find!!
Anthony
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Wow... that's really unique! This is the first time I believe I've seen a Love Token made from a gold coin!!?
Congrats on the great find!!!

Bran <><
 
Re: $1 gold piece

great love token! doubly great that it's gold. well done.
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Super find Tom, a $1 gold would be alright for you but to get it as a Love token is what makes it special. I believe you might get more of the same in that area possibly, since I think when the holes are like that it was part of a bracelet with perhaps and half dozen others on it!! (Can alway hope :wink:)

Don

http://www.geocities.com/lovetokensociety/

Love Tokens were the rage in the 1890's, the one I found is inscribed with the date 1890 on it, and I have read that at the Amusement parks of the 1890s that there would be a stand where an individual would make a Love Token on the spot for you...............(Mine was found in the lake where such a Amusement park was in the 1890s).
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Great find.....and REALLY GREAT GOLD FIND. By all means, count it. It still is a coin, even tho having been reshaped/tooled
to become a love token. Have found a few of those, when in the States, but never never even heard of a gold coin being
remade. And, sounds like that place you are hunting could continue to give for a long while. Keep us posted on what else
comes out of the sand. :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Awesome find token/Dolar :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Killer find! Some wood bleach (oxalic acid) will remove the staining on that piece and leave every bit of gold. It's what they used to clean the rusty stains off of that San Francisco cache of gold that is posted in "Best of Tnet"--and also what rtde used to clean the gold coin from the Shark Pit.


BIG congratulations on such a beautiful piece!



Regards,



Buckles
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Great love token...I've seen silver coins made into them but this is the first gold I've seen.

12 gold coins...wow. How many years of detecting to find all of them???

Congrats and I hope you find many more.
NJ
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Yes a Love Token and the initials are L. H. S.
according to a friend of mine who deals in
these type of coins.

Indian Princess Head, Large Head (1856-1889)
Designer James B. Longacre
Weight 1.672 grams
Net weight .04837 pure gold
Type 3
90% Gold 10% Copper
15mm

If not altered in very fine condition value $165.00 low....$9,500 high side
all according to date and mint mark.

Dave
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Awesome gold coin,I'm still looking for my first.
 
Re: $1 gold piece

That is a great find. I love tokens and yours is very unique.
 
Re: $1 gold piece

X-Terra70_TreasureHunter said:
Yes a Love Token and the initials are L. H. S.
according to a friend of mine who deals in
these type of coins.

Indian Princess Head, Large Head (1856-1889)
Designer James B. Longacre
Weight 1.672 grams
Net weight .04837 pure gold
Type 3
90% Gold 10% Copper
15mm

If not altered in very fine condition value $165.00 low....$9,500 high side
all according to date and mint mark.

Dave

I would say SLH (only because they normally made the top letter the first), or did they do the Surname in Caps?
 
Re: $1 gold piece

WTG on a great looking find. Can't wait to find my first Gold coin!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: $1 gold piece

thanx everyone for looking :thumbsup:

Don in SJ, thanx for the link. Nice to read that site!

NJ, I've been md'ing since the mid 1970s as a school age kid. But for gold coins, only found the first in late 1994. So I'm averaging 1 per a little over a year so far on them ;D

Buckles, thanx for the recommendation. It actually came off with ezest and a little picking with a wooden toothpick persuasion.

4 of us were furiously working this section of beach again at this morning's low tide (1am to 5am-ish). Some seateds and barbers were found, and tons of lead junk, but no more gold coins durnit :'(
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Stunning find :o must be a good chance of another :notworthy:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom