What's new

$1 gold piece - Updated now with the "after" pix.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
14,018
Reaction score
10,343
Golden Thread
2
Location
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
$1 gold piece - Updated now with the "after" pix.

Got this love-token $1 gold piece on a beach in central CA today. The zone where this came from produces coins back to seateds, barbers, etc... when it erodes. Even Spanish reales at times have come from here :headbang: There's a beach cut that's going on 2 months old at this location, that ....... every few week's ..... mother nature readjusts the sand back and forth here, revealing a few more zones each time.

This is my 12th gold coin (not counting jewelry) and my second of the $1 denomination size. Even though this was technically made into jewelry, I'm counting it in my coin's count, d/t the phenomenom of love tokens seems to be strictly a mid 1800s thing. Ie.: you never see love tokens done on coins past seateds, if I'm not mistaken. And also because the stretch of beach is known for coins of the era means it's not a modern loss. Other targets this morning were a 1900 barber dime, another as-yet unknown silver coin, a few wheaties, skeleton key, suspender clip, etc.....
 

Attachments

  • gold coins 005.webp
    gold coins 005.webp
    127.2 KB · Views: 4,914
  • gold coins 007.webp
    gold coins 007.webp
    128.7 KB · Views: 4,851
Upvote 0
Re: $1 gold piece

Congratulations. Nice gold coin love token. :thumbsup:
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Congrats on the banner well deserved. A super find indeed and the fact that it is a love token makes it that much more special. I would say it will be tough to top that find but you are averaging 1 gold a year. simply amazing. If you dont mind sharing with us what are the other 11? denomination and year?
Marty
 
Re: $1 gold piece

supper nice coin, I only found one love token in last 4 years it was a 25 cent from the 183? the date was gone. Congrats on the banner well deserved.
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Wow, I made banner! Does this mean someone buys me a 12-pack? :laughing7: For sure I'll have to post the "after-pix" on this thread now. How long does it stay on the banner for?

The gold coins I got, starting from the first one in late 1994:

2 $20s
1 $10
6 $5's
1 $2.50
2 $1's

Dates range from the 1835 to 1914
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Congrats on an outstanding find! :thumbsup: Banner, too!

HH
 
Re: $1 gold piece

I'm a little confused, (okay a lot confused) I assume this 'token' started out as a regular coin with a 'heads' side and a 'tails' side. How did they 'erase' the 'tails' side flat and shiny before inscription of the new letters with out destroying the 'heads' side of the coin??

And why not just have a 'love' token made out of stock gold?? It seems like an inordinate amount of trouble for a trinket.... ???


Thanks in advance for any forth coming information... ;D
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Tom, Congrats again...on the great find and the Banner. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I keep clicking your banner find and am each time amazed. I'm glad your photos are so good too.

Now we just need that cleaned view....Ahhhh. :laughing9:

HH Joe
 
Re: $1 gold piece

thats a cool token I've never seen one before :icon_thumright:
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Excellent find Tom! WTG!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Beautiful little coin and love token, congrats on the find and the banner!!

Smiles!
BDoo
 
Re: $1 gold piece

COOL TOKEN NICE FIND :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Beautiful find! The details are just gorgeous!!

Congrats~Nana :)
 
Re: $1 gold piece

Here's the "after" pix. There still a little color down in the reccesses, but I'm just gonna leave it that way.
 

Attachments

  • gold coins 012.webp
    gold coins 012.webp
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,661
  • gold coins 016.webp
    gold coins 016.webp
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,654
  • gold coins 012.webp
    gold coins 012.webp
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,657
  • gold coins 016.webp
    gold coins 016.webp
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,657
Re: $1 gold piece - Updated now with the "after" pix.

She's a beauty, congrats again buddy!!
Anyone here would dream to find a treasure like this.

;D
BDoo
 
Re: $1 gold piece - Updated now with the "after" pix.

Tom, Beauty of a photo! ... well more the subject: Gold Coin - Love Token - 1800's

Fantastic! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:


HH Joe
 
Re: $1 gold piece - Updated now with the "after" pix.

Nice!

HH
 
Re: $1 gold piece - Updated now with the "after" pix.

Good job Tom !

Shows the value of persistence !
 
Re: $1 gold piece - Updated now with the "after" pix.

Major congratz Tom ... I think this is one of the best finds on the banner ... old coin, gold, and love token all in one find (and its in great shape as well) ... very nice indeed ... wishing you continued good hunting!
 
Re: $1 gold piece - Updated now with the "after" pix.

Real nice gold! WTG! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom