What's new

1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 VERY RARE

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Hi All, I haven't been out hunting lately, got a couple snowstorms up here in NH, and it's been cold & windy :-\
Yesterday, I braved the weather and returned to the site where I found my Pine Tree Shilling. within 10 minutes I found another Mass Shilling! This looks like an Oak Tree, it was setting just under the surface among the rocks, tree side up. as with most of my surface finds, the side facing up is toasted, I can still see the "M" of Masathvsets, and a few of the spikey branches. The Reverse is a little better, date & XII clear,
(which isn't the minting date, for political reasons, most Mass coinage used this date from 1660-1690, I think the Oaks were 1670s)
you can read about this interesting story here: http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinContents/Contents01.html
Anyone know what this toasty 22mm Copper might be?
thanks to Dwayne Suehno for the Woods Hibernia Farthing ID :wink:
Well, Just shows there's quite a few of these old silvers left out there!
A Big Thanks To Mike at WWW.WOODLANDETECTORS.COM , Without his help I wouldn't even be Diggin!
HH Everyone! Herbie. :hello:
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,220
  • NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,131
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,107
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,188
  • NH FINDS 03-05 012.1.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 012.1.webp
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,190
  • NH FINDS 03-05 011 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 011 copy.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,134
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,133
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,048
  • NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,074
  • NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,033
Upvote 0
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Herbie,It's RIGHT WHERE IT BELONGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless Chris
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Nice job. Congrats! Paul :)
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

1652 Oak and Pine dug i do not think anyone will top that ever :notworthy: Jim
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Amazing find :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Oh, my goodness! Congratulations on 2 GREAT finds and a well deserved BANNER find. :thumbsup: Breezie
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Two finds of a life time ! Amazing!
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Rare Oak Tree Shilling XII is MAGNIFICENT wtg T NET and Big Congrats Herbie :notworthy:

dawg
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Banner find !!!! congrats Herbie ! :hello2:
H
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Goosebumps all over
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

thats it herbie here are my coins from nh also
 

Attachments

  • mass bay09 175_1.webp
    mass bay09 175_1.webp
    56.3 KB · Views: 371
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

lol, i guess i will add my note to this insane thread. are you serious - you are my freakin hero. unbelievable finds - we all aspire to these types of finds. i raise my glass to you!
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Thank you All! :hello:
Just a little research and a lot of help thru these 3 years I've been detecting from Mike
at www.woodlanddetectors.com :notworthy:
He's always been there whenever I need some advice, (or the best price on equipment)
Hank that is a stunning collection of early coinage :o
There's more of these in the ground out there, read those links I put in earlier
about circulation.
another Mass Silver will turn up soon! HH Everyone! :hello2:
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

hudsonhank said:
thats it herbie here are my coins from nh also

Jesus christ.....



You ever go to the treasure show in Taunton, MA?
 

Attachments

  • 1_I_Dont_Want_to_Live_on_This_Planet_Anymore-s500x282-295658-580.webp
    1_I_Dont_Want_to_Live_on_This_Planet_Anymore-s500x282-295658-580.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 273
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

I think that I am going to move to New England! You guys seem to find the nicest older coins. Super find, Congrats!
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Goldirocks said:
I think that I am going to move to New England! You guys seem to find the nicest older coins. Super find, Congrats!

You New Jersey people have been known to find a nice coin here and there too!
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Fantastic Coin Herbie WTG :D
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

:hello2: :hello: :o !!!!!!! Congradulations Herbie on the great Banner finds !!!!!!!! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy !!!!!!!!!
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Thanks Goldirocks, Testing, James And KyFreeBird,
I'm headed out looking for new sites today,
checked out a few lately, not so hot...
Did a little research and I'm back on the hunt :read2:
Best Digs to everyone!! :hello:
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Awesome!
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

What did the both coins ring up as?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom