What's new

1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 VERY RARE

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Hi All, I haven't been out hunting lately, got a couple snowstorms up here in NH, and it's been cold & windy :-\
Yesterday, I braved the weather and returned to the site where I found my Pine Tree Shilling. within 10 minutes I found another Mass Shilling! This looks like an Oak Tree, it was setting just under the surface among the rocks, tree side up. as with most of my surface finds, the side facing up is toasted, I can still see the "M" of Masathvsets, and a few of the spikey branches. The Reverse is a little better, date & XII clear,
(which isn't the minting date, for political reasons, most Mass coinage used this date from 1660-1690, I think the Oaks were 1670s)
you can read about this interesting story here: http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinContents/Contents01.html
Anyone know what this toasty 22mm Copper might be?
thanks to Dwayne Suehno for the Woods Hibernia Farthing ID :wink:
Well, Just shows there's quite a few of these old silvers left out there!
A Big Thanks To Mike at WWW.WOODLANDETECTORS.COM , Without his help I wouldn't even be Diggin!
HH Everyone! Herbie. :hello:
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,220
  • NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,131
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,107
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,188
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,133
  • NH FINDS 03-05 011 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 011 copy.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,134
  • NH FINDS 03-05 012.1.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 012.1.webp
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,190
  • NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,074
  • NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,033
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,048
Upvote 0
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Thanks Dawg, Graddick and Derfel!
I got a second page :D
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Congratulations Herbie, Those are two great finds. You proved one of my theories on detecting, "Location". Living in an area where coins were made or used is a plus. You can find these types of coins in the North east, with a little luck and a good detector. :hello2:

Ed D.
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

steelheadwill said:


It's really coming along! :occasion14:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Holy #$%&*! The Holy Grail Coins Of American Metal Detecting! Incredible! Why No Banner?
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Hello All! thanks for your replies :wink:
IP & Urmgolf,
the only liquid it's seen is water and saliva, (Drooling) ;D
yesterday I used the sink sprayer to remove any grit that might be present,
let it dry, spit, rubbed it gently between thumb & forefinger, a 'pocket polish'.
Regardless of what it may have done to it's 'Collector Value' ...
I like it a heck of a lot more now, no longer resembles a 'slug' (as I was told) :'(
The dull gray coating came off easily,
I do not consider what was there an attractive patina.
Sure brought out some stong detail.
And me being the covetous creature I am, do not plan on selling anyway :laughing7:
3 years of some decent recoveries, one button sold, an offer I couldn't refuse.
(well, I did refuse a first offer) on a button that didn't fit with my collection.
I'm very interested in hearing your (and other members) opinions about this
rash course of action :o Yay Or Nay, whadda you think ??
HH All! :hello:
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 03-05 036 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 036 copy.webp
    62.1 KB · Views: 749
  • NH FINDS 03-05 002 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 002 copy.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 736
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Born2Dtect said:
Congratulations Herbie, Those are two great finds. You proved one of my theories on detecting, "Location". Living in an area where coins were made or used is a plus. You can find these types of coins in the North east, with a little luck and a good detector. :hello2:

Ed D.
Thanks Ed,
See reply #20 for a link telling about the wide circulation of Mass Silver,
People liked it back then as much as we do today :D
HH to you!!
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

bookfisher said:
Holy #$%&*! The Holy Grail Coins Of American Metal Detecting! Incredible! Why No Banner?
Hi bookfisher, been advised Pix don't meet standards.
anyway, it would knock the Pine Tree off :wink:
I think the new reverse pic of this one is better eye candy than the Pine Tree.
That date and XII are poppin :icon_sunny:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

steelheadwill said:
bookfisher said:
Holy #$%&*! The Holy Grail Coins Of American Metal Detecting! Incredible! Why No Banner?
Hi bookfisher, been advised Pix don't meet standards.
anyway, it would knock the Pine Tree off :wink:
I think the new reverse pic of this one is better eye candy than the Pine Tree.
That date and XII are poppin :icon_sunny:
That is some serious metal detecting history & a pleasure seeing what we dream about finding . XII Oak Tree needs to go up top
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Iron Patch said:
"If you continue digs like that you'll be a legend in this hobby!"

Truly amazing finds there Herbie, sorry I missed them buddy! :-\
I've been traveling around the US and Canada doing trade shows for the past 2 months.

Hope to get out on Sunday to try out my new AT Pro! :thumbsup:

Talk to you soon man,
Dave
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

That is nice S. That thing is about as old as I feel . Very good find .
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Thanks Dawg, Dave & CWN!
That AT is getting some great reviews Dave :o
Looking forward to seeing those finds!
Haven't swung since this post,
but I saw another tree while beachcombing yesterday, :laughing7: .
HH to you all!
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 3-05.webp
    NH FINDS 3-05.webp
    152.8 KB · Views: 749
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Amazing to find two, a big congrats! I've only seen a few on the forums over the years. HH, Mike
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

The detail definitely now stands out now on the date and other lettering. On these coins found near the water, getting any detail at all is a victory. She looks good to me!
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Bavaria Mike said:
Amazing to find two, a big congrats! I've only seen a few on the forums over the years. HH, Mike
That's for dang sure :o :o :o TWO Massachusetts Tree Shillings dug in the same week by the same guy is a Significant Metal Detecting accomplishment .. I am sure this feat is a FIRST , EVER and you witnessed it all unfold on T Net's Finds Forum :headbang: Banner Find !!

dawg
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Thanks Mike, Rob and Dawg :wink:
Hoping to get out today for some hunting,
ground is thawing fast with the 60 degree weather!
HH all! :icon_sunny:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Another dream find herbie ! The pine tree schilling should have made the banner ! This great find should go up there as well . These just don't get the attention they deserve.
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

MaineRelic said:
Another dream find herbie ! The pine tree schilling should have made the banner ! This great find should go up there as well . These just don't get the attention they deserve.
Thanks MR :hello:
Both Coins made it up there :D

Thanks for your vote & wish you best digs this year up there!
(I'm slowly making my way up towards you, maybe we'll meet up :hello:)
HH! Herbie.
Thanks to Jeff & all the other Tnet Moderators :icon_sunny:
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Glad to see it [ Up On Top] were it belongs. :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Congratulations on making the :wav: BANNER :wav:

Herbie . . . this is an amazing find for you man! :hello2:
Sorry I missed your original post last week, you're off to a great start to the year! :notworthy:

I watched your 'Morris & the Baby Bird' video . . . very cute! ;D

Take care buddy,
Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom