What's new

1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 VERY RARE

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Hi All, I haven't been out hunting lately, got a couple snowstorms up here in NH, and it's been cold & windy :-\
Yesterday, I braved the weather and returned to the site where I found my Pine Tree Shilling. within 10 minutes I found another Mass Shilling! This looks like an Oak Tree, it was setting just under the surface among the rocks, tree side up. as with most of my surface finds, the side facing up is toasted, I can still see the "M" of Masathvsets, and a few of the spikey branches. The Reverse is a little better, date & XII clear,
(which isn't the minting date, for political reasons, most Mass coinage used this date from 1660-1690, I think the Oaks were 1670s)
you can read about this interesting story here: http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinContents/Contents01.html
Anyone know what this toasty 22mm Copper might be?
thanks to Dwayne Suehno for the Woods Hibernia Farthing ID :wink:
Well, Just shows there's quite a few of these old silvers left out there!
A Big Thanks To Mike at WWW.WOODLANDETECTORS.COM , Without his help I wouldn't even be Diggin!
HH Everyone! Herbie. :hello:
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,220
  • NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,131
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,107
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,188
  • NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,033
  • NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,074
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,048
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,133
  • NH FINDS 03-05 011 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 011 copy.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,134
  • NH FINDS 03-05 012.1.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 012.1.webp
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,190
Upvote 0
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

CrazySlasher said:
What did the both coins ring up as?
Thanks Selous :hello:
Slasher,
I always hunt in Two Tone,
When i found the Pine, I was speed swinging on my way off the site,
dug a hi tone I came across, didn't look at the numbers (I dig em all)
crusty piece with irregular shape had me thinking
it was one of the lead tokens/rounds that turn up here frequently...
Don't recall the numbers I got when I dug the Oak either,
but I do remember they were in the Silver range.
(and I just KNEW it was another Mass :D ).
I just got some readings for you.
Large planchet Pine: steady 12-30 when swung right under the coil,
shifting down to 11- low 30s as distance increases.
Standard planchet Oak: steady 12-33 when swung right under the coil,
same 11- low 30s shift as distance increases.
Pine is a larger diameter but thinner coin, both originally same weight.
HH All :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

steelheadwill said:
CrazySlasher said:
What did the both coins ring up as?
Thanks Selous :hello:
Slasher,
I always hunt in Two Tone,
When i found the Pine, I was speed swinging on my way off the site,
dug a hi tone I came across, didn't look at the numbers (I dig em all)
crusty piece with irregular shape had me thinking
it was one of the lead tokens/rounds that turn up here frequently...
Don't recall the numbers I got when I dug the Oak either,
but I do remember they were in the Silver range.
(and I just KNEW it was another Mass :D ).
I just got some readings for you.
Large planchet Pine: steady 12-30 when swung right under the coil,
shifting down to 11- low 30s as distance increases.
Standard planchet Oak: steady 12-33 when swung right under the coil,
same 11- low 30s shift as distance increases.
Pine is a larger diameter but thinner coin, both originally same weight.
HH All :thumbsup:

Interesting. I would have thought different numbers. Don't think I've ever found silver in the 12-30 range. I should probably start using two-tone more.
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

don't think those settings would affect readout,
try waving a quarter right up against your coil,
I think you'll get a similar reading to these coins.
something else, US coins are 90% silver 10% copper.
The Mass silvers were .925 silver with a hodgepodge
variety of metals as the remainder.
that might account for the difference. :dontknow:
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

You're getting slack, where's the Willow Tree!
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Iron Patch said:
You're getting slack, where's the Willow Tree!
Yeah slacking is right :laughing7: I haven't hunted the area again.
I did bring a friend to check around the location, Merc dime was the only silver that showed up.
It was the same rusty color as the pine though :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

steelheadwill said:
don't think those settings would affect readout,
try waving a quarter right up against your coil,
I think you'll get a similar reading to these coins.
something else, US coins are 90% silver 10% copper.
The Mass silvers were .925 silver with a hodgepodge
variety of metals as the remainder.
that might account for the difference. :dontknow:

I take back what I originally said, I have found a couple of reales that have rung in that range.
 
steelheadwill said:
don't think those settings would affect readout,
try waving a quarter right up against your coil,
I think you'll get a similar reading to these coins.
something else, US coins are 90% silver 10% copper.
The Mass silvers were .925 silver with a hodgepodge
variety of metals as the remainder.
that might account for the difference. :dontknow:

I take back what I originally said, I have found a couple of reales that have rung in that range.
Interesting, likely for the same reasons, rather than silver/copper, they are silver with a mixed alloy...
 
steelheadwill said:
don't think those settings would affect readout,
try waving a quarter right up against your coil,
I think you'll get a similar reading to these coins.
something else, US coins are 90% silver 10% copper.
The Mass silvers were .925 silver with a hodgepodge
variety of metals as the remainder.
that might account for the difference. :dontknow:

I take back what I originally said, I have found a couple of reales that have rung in that range.
Interesting, likely for the same reasons, rather than silver/copper, they are silver with a mixed alloy...


Also... Thin, on edge, masked, there's a variety of reasons why a silver coin can come in as a low or med. tone.
 
Wow, that's cool!!
 
Wow,thats an incredible find...and to think I got excited when I found my Half Reale last year...I'd probably have a heart attack if I dug up one of those Mass Shillings
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom