What's new

1773 button ?

Messick81

Full Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
183
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
found a button this week end and posted it on yhe rev. war site and had no replies,can somone here help? also found a 1775 half penny , 1804 half cent 4-IH,S tw0 standing lib.quarters two silver washington quarters two silver jefferson dimes, and one buffalo nickle, can post pics soon but realy would like an i,d on the button. thanks for any help
 
Nice button. You'll get more exposure here. I'm sure someone will chime in. Here's the pics-

1773 button front.webp

front


1773 button back.webp


back
 
Upvote 0
That sure is interesting. Can you read letters/words?
 
Upvote 0
Neat I've never seen one like that. Is there anything one the back? It looks like it could be a button made from a coin.
 
Upvote 0
Very interesting button. I wish we had a better pic. Is that Latin? Looks like a face in the center or maybe wheat. Its not in clear focus.
 
Upvote 0
It is a button made to look like a spanish real. I have seen at least one other example posted by another digger in the past. (or perhaps it was a pair of cufflinks made to look like spanish coins...) I have a hunch it's late 1700s in manufacture.


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
It is a button made to look like a spanish real. I have seen at least one other example posted by another digger in the past. (or perhaps it was a pair of cufflinks made to look like spanish coins...) I have a hunch it's late 1700s in manufacture.


-Buckles
They kinda looked like pillars and I thought about that but dismissed it. You could be right. I have a pic here somewhere. I can see the UM. Its a crown. Good call BB! :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • spanish milledpillar_small.webp
    spanish milledpillar_small.webp
    7.9 KB · Views: 355
  • spanish milledpillar_small.webp
    spanish milledpillar_small.webp
    7.9 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0
Dug by Don in SJ--third from the top left:

Cufflink_collection.webp
 
Upvote 0
I think it is a cuff!My friend pcolaboy found a pair like this!And donated them to the local museum
 

Attachments

  • Cufflinks.gif
    Cufflinks.gif
    25 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
I think it is a cuff!My friend pcolaboy found a pair like this!And donated them to the local museum


I think your right as that's what it made me think of, but I've never seen one quite like that. It's funny my very first thought was a modern junk item seeing the design and date, but then seeing the second picture and the whole thing processing, convinced me it is old. It definitely has a 17th/18th century Spanish look to it.


I'd like to know the size and see a side view of the shank.
 
Upvote 0
I have one dated 1744. I will try to post a pic. I have never seen one like yours. i think that could be a very sought after piece.
 
Upvote 0
Here are two more of mine, they all seem to vary in style. But no doubt that is what it represents a Spanish silver piece.

Don
 

Attachments

  • Spanish Coin Buttons.webp
    Spanish Coin Buttons.webp
    162.9 KB · Views: 279
  • Spanish Coin Buttons.webp
    Spanish Coin Buttons.webp
    162.9 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Updated pictures of button...
 

Attachments

  • 1773 front of button 2 4-13-10.webp
    1773 front of button 2 4-13-10.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 1773 front of button 4-13-10.webp
    1773 front of button 4-13-10.webp
    17.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 1773 side of button 4-13-10.webp
    1773 side of button 4-13-10.webp
    15.2 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 0
sorry i took so long in getting a picture of the back. i have been very busy,but i do appreciate all the help. thanks again
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom