What's new

1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!! UPDATE!!! SOLD!

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
5,634
Reaction score
54
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
UPDATE
I went to the Coin show in Baltimore today. I spoke to maybe 30
dealers. The 1784 and the two other large coppers (1771 and 1776) that were found at
the same site within a short period of time were purchased
by a dealer for a "handsome price"! Cruising around the show I happened by the same
dealer who grabbed me out of the isle to introduce me to a man that bought all three
of my "collection".
The gentleman proceded to ask me for my phone number so that he could interview me
later about the "wonderful collection of imitations that came from one yard". He seemed
VERY excited and told me that the numismatic society should "work more closely with
Metal Detecting Community in order that these kinds of finds with stories could see the
light of day and be shared with all as a genuine History recovering operation".
Just a note.... I Cleaned all three of the coins, and both the dealer and the buyer were
extremely happy with the end results after seeing the "before" photos. I thought I had
screwed up by cleaning them, apparently not.
I highly recommend these types of shows for us detectorists. I learned so much from
almost everyone I spoke to.


UPDATE....
I contacted several auction houses in regards to this coin and after viewing the coin
the estimated price for the coin varied but averaged in the $1000+ Range. SHWEEEEET!!!
I know that it was pure luck, finding this coin. I hope everybody gets a chance to make a
find that is better than their usual finds.
I know that this is not a big deal to most, but it is to me.
Thanks for all the comments and messages!!!



Yesterday I got permission to hunt a property that has
belonged to the same family since the 1700s. The lady
that owns it now has us working to keep the place
historical and liveable.
This morning, Civilman, Howard and myself hit the place
running. Now, it has been detected before, but we have
no idea how much.
The property has the main house, the original house
(four rooms), A butchering and smoke house, a blacksmiths
shop, a brick privy, a spring house at the well, a log
hog barn, a huge barn, and four other misc. buildings.
The property is on 200 acres and also has a lime kiln
that had an explosion and went out of business in 1905.
The property is also directly on the route that the
soldiers used to leave the battle of Gettysburg.
So we have high hopes for the place.
Today I found a 1784 MACHIN'S MILLS HALFPENNY!!!
Here are some photos. Enjoy!


IMG_3819.webp

IMG_3820.webp

All cleaned up.

IMG_3821.webp

IMG_3823.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!!

Great Find!!! :thumbsup:

Semper Fi :sunny:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!!

Looks great. :thumbsup: Very nicely detailed copper. Now go find some more. :wink:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!!

Here are some more photos.


IMG_3813.webp


IMG_3824.webp


IMG_3826-1.webp


IMG_3811.webp


IMG_3815.webp
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!!

And one more just cuz I like it.


IMG_3816.webp
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!!

That was an awesome place Ty.....Thank You very much for the invite :thumbsup: After the house area we need to concentrate on some of those field's.Great job on the "Halfpenny" buddy,this is the second or third I've seen you pull out of the ground :BangHead: Those friggin' thing's hate me for some reason.Again Thank you for the invite and Congratulation's!!!!!
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!!

great copper !!~! and the button is awesome ! :o :o :o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!!

Very nice find tymcmurray .You make it look easy :D Old house =old relics and old money great job ......
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!!

RELICDUDE07 said:
Very nice find tymcmurray .You make it look easy :D Old house =old relics and old money great job ......
Tell me About It!!!!! :BangHead:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

:icon_king: Cool Find! :icon_king:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Excellent! Gotta love seeing that 3rd digit being an 8.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Ty,
I just saw Civil's post too. D-mn, I'm drooling. :tongue3: What a fantastic looking historical property. Something tells me this is only the beginning. :thumbsup:
Your Halfpenny is amazing! Congrats guys.
-MM-
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Yes im sure there gonna have lots more stories and pics outta that place.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!!

RELICDUDE07 said:
Very nice find tymcmurray .You make it look easy :D Old house =old relics and old money great job ......

Thanks, Man. We all know it is not easy. I'm just thankful to have found
a property with such great history!
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

ModernMiner said:
Ty,
I just saw Civil's post too. D-mn, I'm drooling. :tongue3: What a fantastic looking historical property. Something tells me this is only the beginning. :thumbsup:
Your Halfpenny is amazing! Congrats guys.
-MM-

One of the first things Civil said was that we were gonna do this place ModernMiner style!
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

scrapdoggie said:
Yes im sure there gonna have lots more stories and pics outta that place.

We sure hope so, scrappie.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Nice, what did you clean it with? Did hot peroxide do that, because it looks great.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Bartman said:
Nice, what did you clean it with? Did hot peroxide do that, because it looks great.

Yess, Hydrogen peroside did the trick. Thanks.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

tymcmurray said:
ModernMiner said:
Ty,
I just saw Civil's post too. D-mn, I'm drooling. :tongue3: What a fantastic looking historical property. Something tells me this is only the beginning. :thumbsup:
Your Halfpenny is amazing! Congrats guys.
-MM-

One of the first things Civil said was that we were gonna do this place ModernMiner style!

Thanks Guys.
I think that's the first time I've EVER been told I have style. :tongue3: ;D :wink:
Can't wait to see your next posts! :thumbsup:
-MM-
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom