What's new

1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!! UPDATE!!! SOLD!

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
5,634
Reaction score
54
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
UPDATE
I went to the Coin show in Baltimore today. I spoke to maybe 30
dealers. The 1784 and the two other large coppers (1771 and 1776) that were found at
the same site within a short period of time were purchased
by a dealer for a "handsome price"! Cruising around the show I happened by the same
dealer who grabbed me out of the isle to introduce me to a man that bought all three
of my "collection".
The gentleman proceded to ask me for my phone number so that he could interview me
later about the "wonderful collection of imitations that came from one yard". He seemed
VERY excited and told me that the numismatic society should "work more closely with
Metal Detecting Community in order that these kinds of finds with stories could see the
light of day and be shared with all as a genuine History recovering operation".
Just a note.... I Cleaned all three of the coins, and both the dealer and the buyer were
extremely happy with the end results after seeing the "before" photos. I thought I had
screwed up by cleaning them, apparently not.
I highly recommend these types of shows for us detectorists. I learned so much from
almost everyone I spoke to.


UPDATE....
I contacted several auction houses in regards to this coin and after viewing the coin
the estimated price for the coin varied but averaged in the $1000+ Range. SHWEEEEET!!!
I know that it was pure luck, finding this coin. I hope everybody gets a chance to make a
find that is better than their usual finds.
I know that this is not a big deal to most, but it is to me.
Thanks for all the comments and messages!!!



Yesterday I got permission to hunt a property that has
belonged to the same family since the 1700s. The lady
that owns it now has us working to keep the place
historical and liveable.
This morning, Civilman, Howard and myself hit the place
running. Now, it has been detected before, but we have
no idea how much.
The property has the main house, the original house
(four rooms), A butchering and smoke house, a blacksmiths
shop, a brick privy, a spring house at the well, a log
hog barn, a huge barn, and four other misc. buildings.
The property is on 200 acres and also has a lime kiln
that had an explosion and went out of business in 1905.
The property is also directly on the route that the
soldiers used to leave the battle of Gettysburg.
So we have high hopes for the place.
Today I found a 1784 MACHIN'S MILLS HALFPENNY!!!
Here are some photos. Enjoy!


IMG_3819.webp

IMG_3820.webp

All cleaned up.

IMG_3821.webp

IMG_3823.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

great pics and awesome finds tymcmurray :o maybe you can make the banner with that halfpenny :thumbsup: its an awesome find ! congrats to you guys ;D
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Very nice looking Ty the land and the coin!!!!!!!
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Your 1784 Vlack 14-84A is a BANNER find, most will not realize that you found a rare colonial and despite the corrosion has very little wear and is a significant find. Congratulations on finding a rare colonial.

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinText/UnattributedCount.html

Don
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Don in SJ said:
Your 1784 Vlack 14-84A is a BANNER find, most will not realize that you found a rare colonial and despite the corrosion has very little wear and is a significant find. Congratulations on finding a rare colonial.

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinText/UnattributedCount.html

Don

Thanks for the information, Don.
All I could find was that it was rare, but no
idea how rare.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Wowzers, a MDer's dream location. That is sweet and great coin. You are going back, right?
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Nice counterfeit :o :o :o 8) 8)
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Banner Find!!! Excellent.

Congrats.

DM
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Thanks guys!
I would be back at that place camping out if there
were no other responsibilities in life.
Since Don in SJ's inormative post I have contacted
a company that will appraise it and if necessay, have
it cleaned. I'll let you guys know what happens.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Ty,
Congrats on the BANNER find!!!! You da' Man.
Looking forward to seeing more from that place. :thumbsup:
-MM-
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Banner Find Ty....Congratulation's my friend :thumbsup: Best of Luck on the phone call tommorrow,call me as sonn as you find something out.Thank's to Don in SJ also.....Banner My Man!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

That is very awesome!!! :thumbsup: Keep up the hunting!!!! ;D
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

tymcmurray said:
Yesterday I got permission to hunt a property that has
belonged to the same family since the 1700s. The lady
that owns it now has us working to keep the place
historical and liveable.
This morning, Civilman, Howard and myself hit the place
running. Now, it has been detected before, but we have
no idea how much.
The property has the main house, the original house
(four rooms), A butchering and smoke house, a blacksmiths
shop, a brick privy, a spring house at the well, a log
hog barn, a huge barn, and four other misc. buildings.
The property is on 200 acres and also has a lime kiln
that had an explosion and went out of business in 1905.
The property is also directly on the route that the
soldiers used to leave the battle of Gettysburg.
So we have high hopes for the place.
Today I found a 1784 MACHIN'S MILLS HALFPENNY!!!
Here are some photos. Enjoy!








All cleaned up.

SWEET Ty!!!! You mentioned all the 'houses' on the property.....Did Joe or Howard have to use the OUTHOUSE after seeing you find that copper!?!? ;D ;D ;D That is a BEAU--TTTTT--FUL Coppa BROTHER :o :o :o :o That is just a great find and a more deserving person exist nowhere on Gods Green Earth! Great Job "BRUTHA" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You're King for a Day! :icon_king:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

That's a beauty! :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

THAT IS AN AMAZING PROPERTY. WAY TO GO. CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT ELSE YOU FIND THERE.HH
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Ty,
Congrad's on your banner find. Love the photos. You have a good eye for the pic's.
Please post more.
Joe
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

you are such a lucky piggy! nice!
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Get the lights out and quite the job. Hunt 24/7, keep swinging, keep digging, and take short potty breaks only. Now get to work and take pictures. ;D ;D ;D Congrats

Burdie
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

great find WTG
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom