What's new

1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!! UPDATE!!! SOLD!

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
5,634
Reaction score
54
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
UPDATE
I went to the Coin show in Baltimore today. I spoke to maybe 30
dealers. The 1784 and the two other large coppers (1771 and 1776) that were found at
the same site within a short period of time were purchased
by a dealer for a "handsome price"! Cruising around the show I happened by the same
dealer who grabbed me out of the isle to introduce me to a man that bought all three
of my "collection".
The gentleman proceded to ask me for my phone number so that he could interview me
later about the "wonderful collection of imitations that came from one yard". He seemed
VERY excited and told me that the numismatic society should "work more closely with
Metal Detecting Community in order that these kinds of finds with stories could see the
light of day and be shared with all as a genuine History recovering operation".
Just a note.... I Cleaned all three of the coins, and both the dealer and the buyer were
extremely happy with the end results after seeing the "before" photos. I thought I had
screwed up by cleaning them, apparently not.
I highly recommend these types of shows for us detectorists. I learned so much from
almost everyone I spoke to.


UPDATE....
I contacted several auction houses in regards to this coin and after viewing the coin
the estimated price for the coin varied but averaged in the $1000+ Range. SHWEEEEET!!!
I know that it was pure luck, finding this coin. I hope everybody gets a chance to make a
find that is better than their usual finds.
I know that this is not a big deal to most, but it is to me.
Thanks for all the comments and messages!!!



Yesterday I got permission to hunt a property that has
belonged to the same family since the 1700s. The lady
that owns it now has us working to keep the place
historical and liveable.
This morning, Civilman, Howard and myself hit the place
running. Now, it has been detected before, but we have
no idea how much.
The property has the main house, the original house
(four rooms), A butchering and smoke house, a blacksmiths
shop, a brick privy, a spring house at the well, a log
hog barn, a huge barn, and four other misc. buildings.
The property is on 200 acres and also has a lime kiln
that had an explosion and went out of business in 1905.
The property is also directly on the route that the
soldiers used to leave the battle of Gettysburg.
So we have high hopes for the place.
Today I found a 1784 MACHIN'S MILLS HALFPENNY!!!
Here are some photos. Enjoy!


IMG_3819.webp

IMG_3820.webp

All cleaned up.

IMG_3821.webp

IMG_3823.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

An awesome find TY and Congrat's on the Banner!
Looking forward to more and more :headbang:
Mike
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

How deep was the coin???

How deep was the button???
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Big congrats on your Banner find! That half-penny really cleaned
up nicely :thumbsup:. . . I look forward to see what you find next!
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

wow that is some spot and find you have there congrats and can't wait to see what else you guys come up with
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

funny how 'the crew' had nothing to say on this.. again.. sweet finds !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Luckysometimes said:
How deep was the coin???

How deep was the button???

Sorry!! Coin was 5 inches under a root.


IMG_3808.webp


The button was 4 inches.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Sorry!! Coin was 5 inches under a root.





The button was 4 inches.
[/quote]

Thanks for lettin me know.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Here is a pick of the coin found online and my coin partially cleaned.


comparison.webp
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Just like they said Ty....The "1" has the little J look about it,the staff hit's the "7" even the spacing between the first letter "I".....I think you have the Real McCoy there Buddy......Congrat's!!!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Dude! Dude! Your killin me.
Congrats on the dig spot.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

congrats on the banner :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Sorry,, but had to boost this post to the top one more time!!!! You have found a AWESOME coin buddy!



CONGRATS ON BANNER!!!!!!



:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Antebellum JayVA said:
Sorry,, but had to boost this post to the top one more time!!!! You have found a AWESOME coin buddy!



CONGRATS ON BANNER!!!!!!



:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Had to remark on the Avatar and Quote there.......Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Awesome find, congratulations! 8)
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Congrats on that great find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

WHAT A FIND!!!!! :o WHAT A SITE TO HUNT!!! :o

Oh my goodness, Ty!!! :o You boys are gonna be busy for a WHILE!!! :thumbsup:

EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT find!!!! Many congrats to ya!!! :wav:

Thanks to Don for ID too!!! 8)

WoW! I'm so happy for ya!

Congrats again! Nana :wink:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

That is a dream site and probably has tons more goodies to give up, so keep it up and take us along for the ride.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Wow, way awesome! You East Coast guys are so lucky :icon_pirat: Hope you guys sniff a few more out. :thumbsup:

HH, Mark
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

{Sentinel} said:
Sorry,, but had to boost this post to the top one more time!!!! You have found a AWESOME coin buddy!



CONGRATS ON BANNER!!!!!!



:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Who in the heck is Antebellum JayVa ;D ;D ;D ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom